Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shifting layers in Y axis horribly in week 3

Posted by duckfriedrice 
Shifting layers in Y axis horribly in week 3
January 29, 2014 02:40AM
Here are my attempts in fixing this shifting problem.

- Tighten gear on the Y-Stepper motor
- Check tension on the Belt in Y-axis
- Separate stepper cables and endstop/sensor cables

Problem still occurs, I have taken a photo of my print this morning
The printer was printing perfectly fine last week.
Shifting begins to occur last week.
What else can I do ?

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

smiling smiley
Re: Shifting layers in Y axis horribly in week 3
January 29, 2014 02:52AM
Try the following:
  • Reduce the max speed/acceleration of the Y-axis
  • Increase the current to the Y-axis motor controller

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
January 29, 2014 11:01AM
I agree with rhmorrison. Don't turn your potentiometer up too high though. If you're still getting similar errors, remove your y-belt and check to make sure your bed glides freely without any binding on your y-axis. Your rails can be too close at one end creating a pinch point or bad bearings. Some grease can help also.

Also, is your belt centered on your bed? If it's closer to one rail than the other, it may be trying to pull it sideways.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2014 11:22AM by KingRahl.
January 31, 2014 01:49AM
Thanks for the help above,

I have reduced the acceleration of the XY feedrate from 3000 to 2000, and Z feedrate from 200 to 180.

The shifting problem has improved greatly, but there is still minor shifting at layers with supporting material.

Just wanted to know why the acceleration was fine at 3000 in few weeks back, and there's problem with it now.

I have not changed anything between this time.

One more problem happened since last week, although X axis endstop is working fine with LED indicating correctly on the endstop PCB.

But when I home the X axis, it fails to stop at X, it will hit the X axis harshly and stepper continue to push against the X home for few seconds until it stops.
January 31, 2014 12:58PM
Did you slightly increase the voltage on your Y stepper driver? Perhaps a small adjustment there would solve the problem entirely.

Good luck.
January 31, 2014 02:25PM
Just a quick reminder... I had a problem of shifting and it was due to the voltage TOO high. It would overheat and cause skipping...
January 31, 2014 09:06PM
Happycamper
Just a quick reminder... I had a problem of shifting and it was due to the voltage TOO high. It would overheat and cause skipping...

It may help to have heat sinks on your stepper drivers and a fan blowing on your electronics.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login