Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Micron extruder

Posted by Schultz 
Micron extruder
May 23, 2014 02:18PM
At work we have an Airwolf HD printer which has been very nice for making many of our prototypes. However it's not completely jam free. It's been finicky with filament size. If it's greater than 3mm then it has problems and will jam . If you print faster than 50mm/sec then you can count on it jamming some time during a large build. Also when running Nija Flex (rubber) filament it was frustrating at times, it would jam quite often because it couldn't get enough traction on the rubbery material to push it through the tube.

Today we changed out the drive end of the Boden style extruder. We replaced it with an all metal Micron drive from Micron's Ebay store. The engineering and quality of this item is exceptional and worth the money when you see that it's all machined and anodized AL. The driver gear appears to be SS. After calibrating it we ran the print speed at 140mm/sec and printed a larger part that would have certainly jammed the previous drive. The print quality has also improved, I think because the layers are fusing together better than before since it has less time to cool between layers. It also handles any of the filament we had that ranged from 2.87 to 3.1mm. We will be testing it with Nija flex next.

The only problem is the RAMBO controller dithers at speeds above the 120mm/sec. I think the extruder could handle much higher speeds without jamming. I'd like to run it above 140mm/sec but slowing it down to 110mm/sec is probably faster than 140mm/sec because it runs smooth and non stop at this speed. Any suggestions on the controller? When I calibrated the steps / mm on the extruder I had to triple the steps per mm. Maybe this is the problem and the controller can't keep up. I'm going to try and reduce the micro stepping to see if this helps. If you have any other suggestion please let me know.

Tim

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2014 11:17PM by Schultz.
A2
Re: Micron extruder
May 23, 2014 06:08PM
Have you taken apart the hot end, and did the threads in the aluminum look, or feel like they were galling (gummy, stripped), did you disassemble it hot or cold?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2014 06:09PM by A2.
Re: Micron extruder
May 23, 2014 06:55PM
The hot end hasn't been disassembled, there hasn't been a reason to remove it or the tip. With the same hot end it's worked much better with the new motor drive.

One of the other problems that I forgot mention when using the Nija Flex rubber filament. With the previous drive the rubber filament would often loop just beyond the drive bolt before the outlet and that would cause it to jam. The Micron drive unit doesn't have any space beyond the drive gear so this can't happen, the filament goes directly into a guided outlet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2014 06:55PM by Schultz.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login