Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need diag help! First time RepRap builder

Posted by boymeetsmill 
Need diag help! First time RepRap builder
August 16, 2014 05:37AM
I got a half finished RepRap Huxley kit. Im trying to piece this all together, it doesnt seem too difficult but coding and circuits are not my forte. From what little documentation there is it appears to be a RepRapPro or Techzone Huxley mechanical construction. As this sits here the mechanicals are all together more or less, I will need to do some adjusting once I get things moving

The board is a Sanguinololu 1.3a w/644p chip. Ive downloaded the Arduino IDE (ver 1.0.5 i think) and Repetier. The 644p was supposedly preloaded with Marlin firmware (there is a sticker on the module). So I don't really need the Arduino IDE since the chip is already flashed, correct?

Where I am stuck is the board, when I plug the usb cable the red LED lights up, but nothing happens the motors don't spin there isnt a tone or anything. What is supposed to happen? I do have a 12V 5A supply wired to the other set of terminals. Is there a way to check if or which firmware is on the chip?

Recommendations on how to procede with be very welcome. Thanks.
Re: Need diag help! First time RepRap builder
August 16, 2014 07:24AM
Do you have your host software ready?
August 16, 2014 01:39PM
We'll I'm not entirely sure.

I ran Repetier and set the USB port, but they didn't have the Sanguinololu or the 644p as a board option. There was ATMega 1248p and ATMega I chose the ATMega.

I'm not sure that was right or if there is more to do than this?
August 17, 2014 03:29PM
You dont need to tell the repetier your board. Did you manage to get the printer connected to repetier? It should give you a green plug if it worked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2014 04:57PM by sungod3k.
August 18, 2014 11:11PM
Yup. I hit connect and the plug turns green...But nothing happens?
August 19, 2014 12:01AM
Here's a screenshot.
Attachments:
open | download - Untitled.jpg (244.9 KB)
August 19, 2014 10:10AM
Also check that you set the right baud rate in repetier host, as that needs to match the rate set in the firmware. Since the firmware was preloaded its hard to tell, but it's most probably going to be 250000 or 115200.
August 20, 2014 12:53AM
I tired both baud rate settings. Still nothing.
August 20, 2014 01:17AM
New development...

I notice now that when I plug in the motor power supply (or hit the button on the board) I can hear noise come from the X & Y-axis steppers. In addition the I am not able to turn the shaft when it is making these noises, this last for 5 seconds or so then stops. I can then turn the shaft. The Z-axis motors do none of this.

I wanted to check the wiring diagram against the motor spec sheet, but the Sanguinololu diagram doesn't quite spell out what Im looking for.

Sanguninololu diagram: Link

Stepper Spec Sheet: Link

The diagram shows wires red, black, green, white. The motor I have is red, green, black, blue. I am correct to sub white for blue? I know that getting they wires out of order can lock the motors up, but not sure if this is what is happening or the board is running some kind of POST when powered on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2014 01:18AM by boymeetsmill.
August 20, 2014 01:55AM
sdavi
Also check that you set the right baud rate in repetier host, as that needs to match the rate set in the firmware. Since the firmware was preloaded its hard to tell, but it's most probably going to be 250000 or 115200.

Do I need to change this in the windows device manager too? More specifically on the 'FT23R USB UART' which I believe is the USB Serial emulator.
August 20, 2014 02:11AM
boymeetsmill
sdavi

Do I need to change this in the windows device manager too? More specifically on the 'FT23R USB UART' which I believe is the USB Serial emulator.

Nevermind. I answered my own question and found this in another forum post.
August 20, 2014 02:48AM
Progress!

Two pretty good steps made. First big step and bone head move. I discovered that while I had the power supply plugged in, the power strip it was plugged into was not turned on! Oops. The motors were now making a familiar stepper whine when power was applied or the board was reset.

Second I found the Repetier log and read through my computer trying to connect to the RepRap. It displayed the following...

22:48:16.268 : Serial com errorconfused smileyystem.IO.Ports.SerialErrorReceivedEventArgs
22:48:16.268 : Serial com errorconfused smileyystem.IO.Ports.SerialErrorReceivedEventArgs

A quick forum and Google search lead me to reinstall the 'FT23R USB UART' driver. Still wondering about the stepper wiring I rechecked things I tired before. So I changed the baud rate from 115200 to 250000 BAM! I have manual control of the steppers. One of my Z motors doesn't seem to be moving, and I dont have the extruder stepper plugged in.

All in all pretty happy with tonights progress. Thanks for the help thus far!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login