Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Amazon Q

Posted by Miertam 
Amazon Q
August 22, 2014 11:49PM
So this is a am I being a dick question. My printer didn't come with a heated bed so I poked around and found one on amazon.

[www.amazon.com]

I picked that one specifically because the picture shows the leads attached to the bed. There is a question about this specific thing and the answer seems to be Affirmative. When it arrived..no leads. I can solder everything on myself but I suck at it. So I left a 3 star feedback. This morning I get a e-mail offering me a dollar if I will remove my feedback. A dollar is a significant percentage of the total cost, But it doesn't solve the bigger issue that what is advertised is not what is delivered.

What I want to propose is that they keep the dollar,but change their photos to accurately represent the product and then I will remove my feedback. Am I being a dick over this?

Thanks Mike
Re: Amazon Q
August 23, 2014 12:21AM
Any attempted bribes and you should lower the feedback further.
August 23, 2014 09:47AM
As an Amazon Prime member and frequent buyer who relies heavily on the accuracy of everyone's reviews, I will send you a five dollar Amazon gift card to lower your rating to one star and report them to Amazon for tampering with reviews. Does that answer your question/concern?????
August 23, 2014 11:23AM
vreihen
As an Amazon Prime member and frequent buyer who relies heavily on the accuracy of everyone's reviews, I will send you a five dollar Amazon gift card to lower your rating to one star and report them to Amazon for tampering with reviews. Does that answer your question/concern?????

Me too, but I usually assume those reviews have merit. While it is poor practice to try to bribe someone to change their review, it is naive to assume that you are going to get the heated bed with wires already soldered in place. I would have never made that assumption. The only mitigating fact is that someone on amazon (it could have been the op) asked if the wires were soldered on. However, 1) the answer has such poor English and so many typos that I immediately discredited it, and 2) those answers don't come from either amazon or from the seller, but from previous buyers and so need to be discounted.
August 23, 2014 05:44PM
I buy a good bit of stuff on amazon and I'd appreciate having realistic reviews, if you don't mind, and particularly when items come from China, since it's so difficult to communicate effectively with Chinese vendors and such a hassle to return things that aren't as advertised.
August 23, 2014 07:06PM
I only buy stuff on Amazon that is in stock for Prime shipping from Amazon's warehouses. No 28 day shipping from China surprises, since the item is already in the USA in Amazon's possession. There's always the chance that the seller might ship stones to Amazon's warehouses, but I can return it to Amazon and let them deal with the stones.....
August 24, 2014 04:00AM
jbernardis
it is naive to assume that you are going to get the heated bed with wires already soldered in place.

Interesting opinion. "It's naive to assume a product looks like what you see on the photo".

That said, not much mercy with Amazon buyers. Make stuff yourself and you know what you get:

[reprap.org]
[reprap.org]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 24, 2014 04:17AM
Traumflug
jbernardis
it is naive to assume that you are going to get the heated bed with wires already soldered in place.

Interesting opinion. "It's naive to assume a product looks like what you see on the photo".

That said, not much mercy with Amazon buyers. Make stuff yourself and you know what you get:

[reprap.org]
[reprap.org]

That was my thought If I go to the store and buy a can with peaches on the label and when I open it up it's full of pears I am going to be less than pleased.

The choice of Amazon was due to the utter lack of electronics suppliers in the Seattle Meto area. There are a few raido shacks left (shutter) but when I started calling up local electrical supply stores they just keep refering me to Fry's or Amazon.. Fry's is close-ish a 2 hour bus ride but Amazon I can just click a button.

Thanks Mike
August 24, 2014 04:37AM
As far as I know, Frys doesn't sell heated beds either.
August 24, 2014 07:09PM
I guess naive was a strong word, and I apologize for using it. What it boils down to for me is that I wouldn't even take notice if the wires were soldered in the picture because it would be immaterial to me. There's an expectation that some assembly would be required, and frankly I enjoy that aspect of the hobby. I might even remove the wires if I felt they were of insufficient gauge; I'd certainly scrutinize them.

It''s not immaterial to the OP so he has a valid concern.
August 24, 2014 08:20PM
Miertam
The choice of Amazon was due to the utter lack of electronics suppliers in the Seattle Meto area. There are a few raido shacks left (shutter) but when I started calling up local electrical supply stores they just keep refering me to Fry's or Amazon.. Fry's is close-ish a 2 hour bus ride but Amazon I can just click a button.

Please forgive my left coast ignorance, but isn't Bellevue (home of Tri-D printing) a short 1-mile swim from Seattle?

http://www.tridprinting.com/Sundry/ContactUs.php

http://www.tridprinting.com/Misc/#3D-Printer-Heatbed-Hot-Plate

Ironically, they sell the heated bed with the LED and resistors (but not the wires) pre-soldered.....
August 25, 2014 04:39AM
vreihen
Miertam

Please forgive my left coast ignorance, but isn't Bellevue (home of Tri-D printing) a short 1-mile swim from Seattle?

http://www.tridprinting.com/Sundry/ContactUs.php

http://www.tridprinting.com/Misc/#3D-Printer-Heatbed-Hot-Plate

Ironically, they sell the heated bed with the LED and resistors (but not the wires) pre-soldered.....

Not quite They are 12.2 miles from me or a hour and a half bus ride..if you go at 1AM during the day it's closer to 2hours because of traffic. Crossing Lake Washington is not a task for the faint of heart. Fry's on the other hand is 20 miles away and is 1 hour 51 minutes pretty constantly as you don't have to cross the lake to get there. So travel time is a wash.

I was specifically looking for someplace in Seattle metro where I could buy not so much a heated bead but Thermistors either cartridge heaters or nickel chromium coils/tape and a thermal control unit as well as things like molex kk connectors wire and sundry. All of which I could assemble without soldering.

All that being said I will check out their shop next time I am across the water Thanks for pointing them out.

Thanks Mike
August 25, 2014 05:05AM
jbernardis
I guess naive was a strong word, and I apologize for using it. What it boils down to for me is that I wouldn't even take notice if the wires were soldered in the picture because it would be immaterial to me. There's an expectation that some assembly would be required, and frankly I enjoy that aspect of the hobby. I might even remove the wires if I felt they were of insufficient gauge; I'd certainly scrutinize them.

It''s not immaterial to the OP so he has a valid concern.

My biggest problem with soldering right now is a lack of workspace. I live in a fairly small apartment. To do the heated bed I paid $89 to a makerhause so I can use their workstations.

No harm I love putting things together and making them work so I really do understand where you are coming from. There are just some jobs that I can't do in the work area that I have. And the boss frowns on taking personal projects into work.

Thanks Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login