Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

E3D-v6

Posted by Edward99 
E3D-v6
November 10, 2014 07:21PM
I am new to the world of 3d printing. I have built a DIY printer but have problems with printing and clogged extruder. I was considering getting a E3D-v6 extruder to eliminate the filament flow problems I am now having with the present extruder. I am looking for inputs and comments on this extruder.
Re: E3D-v6
November 10, 2014 08:21PM
Would it be worthwhile to investigate the cause for your current extruder jams?
If you would rather not, no problem, but Sometimes the fix might be easy enough. smiling smiley
and cost you less smiling smiley

just my 1.5 cents. smiling smiley

as far as the E3D-v6 extruder, I'm afraid I dont know anything about it other than the reviews on found on google along with a number of video's about it.
Tom does a number of video's on 3d printing and he even reviews it... This guy know's what he is talking about:

[www.youtube.com]

Cheers. smiling smiley
November 10, 2014 08:31PM
I can't speak for the E3D, but I am using an all metal hotend called the Pico from B3 Innovations. I haven't tried it with PLA yet, but for ABS it's flawless.
November 11, 2014 03:38AM
What type of hotend are you using, and more importantly, where did you get it? I got a cheapo $30 j-head off eBay as a backup hot end, and when my current one clogged (it's sort of a lost cause), I tried using the cheap one, but it barely extruded. I paid an extra $30 for a genuine J-Head Mk IV-BV from hotends.com (which is owned by the maker of the J-Head, and it is working great.
November 11, 2014 02:47PM
I bought a cheap all metal hotend similar to the E3Dv5 and it was junk on my DIY printer having issues similar to what you are talking about. I had nothing but jams with PLA no matter what I did, but ABS was ok, my determination was it was the junky hotend. I bought a real V6 and i use PLA, ABS, TGlase, whatever I can throw at it, it will handle just fine with no clogs or jams.

We do need a little more info though on your extruder setup because maybe your issues lie elsewhere.
November 11, 2014 06:44PM
Thanks for all your inputs on the extruder. I have been working on the extruder hot end for a few weeks and I thing I want to have a proven hotend before going any further. I will have to make a adapter to attach the J6 to my extruder but that will not be a problem. I am attaching pictures of the extruder I am using.
Attachments:
open | download - Extruder 1.jpg (82.8 KB)
open | download - Extruder 2.jpg (113.9 KB)
November 11, 2014 07:49PM
E3D V6 is good. for me there was a bit of a learning curve but it works stable now.
November 12, 2014 12:32AM
The one in your photo's is not one I've seen before, and is that fan pointing at the filament before it goes into the hotend?

when you say clog, is the hotend completely blocked and not pushing out filament?
or does it print for a short period of time and then stop extruding? if so does the filament going into the cold end continue to move? take a marker and place a line on the entering filament to see if it is moving
November 17, 2014 07:52AM
I received my E3D-V6, fast delivery and a quality product. After installation 90 % of my problems went away. I am still in the learning phase of 3D printer but this hotend is making it mush easer. Well worth the price.
November 17, 2014 08:30AM
Edward99
I received my E3D-V6, fast delivery and a quality product. After installation 90 % of my problems went away. I am still in the learning phase of 3D printer but this hotend is making it mush easer. Well worth the price.

Edward99,

Did you make the extruder or did you purchase it from a vendor? Can you tell us in detail about it?
November 17, 2014 09:39AM
See attached pictures of the extruder I purchased on e-Bay, it had a hotend attached but I was having problems with it and decided to go with the E3D-V6.
I purchased the hotend from Filastruder. it was a fair price fast shipping and a fast responder to questions.
Attachments:
open | download - Extruder 2.jpg (113.9 KB)
open | download - Extruder 1.jpg (82.8 KB)
November 20, 2014 08:49PM
I have the same extruder from ebay. I had issues with using thermocouples when I started. When I took the nozzle off, the input hole was too big, which caused much of my issues. I have since switched hotends, but I do not have enough transisition from hot to cold. If you would like to have yours working as a spare, change the hotend and add cooling fins. My cooling fins are coming in the mail, and I can update if interested.
November 21, 2014 03:19PM
My E3D-V6 hotend end arrived. I can't be happier, 95 % of my problems went away. I am now finding out how much I don't know about 3D printing. I would like to thank all on the forum who gave me advise and much needed help and support.

ed
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login