Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is turning up the extrusion multiplier the same thing as turning up the extruder steps per unit?

Posted by foul_owl 
Hi folks,

I'm trying to fine tune my extrusion rate. Extrusion multiplier in slic3r would appear to do the same thing as turning up the extruder steps per unit: push more material out the hot end. Is there any functional difference?

Thanks!
They do exactly the same thing, however you can change the extruder steps per unit "on-the-fly" (i.e. during a print) in Marlin, whereas changing the extrusion multiplier in slic3r requires you to think ahead.

The final effect is the same: you are changing the amount of filament that gets extruded. However, changing the extruder steps per unit is an adjustment that you can do during a print, whereas changing the extrusion multiplier in slic3r is an adjustment that you do prior to the print, in the slicer software.
If you find that you have had one non zero value in the extrusion multiplier for ever, then I suggest updating your the E steps in your firmware to apply this. One thing I use this multiplier for is to conpensate for different brands of filiments having different viscosities at the same temprature. My firmware E steps are base on how Ultimachine filiment worked in my machine. I reccomend people drop the extra coin and buy Ulti for their printers first run. In my opnion, it performs the best and matches up with expectations. Don't mess around with junk filiment when trying to calibrate your printer. Once you have it dialed in on the good stuff, buy some cheap stuff and figure out how to run it on your printer.
appdev007
If you find that you have had one non zero value in the extrusion multiplier for ever, then I suggest updating your the E steps in your firmware to apply this. One thing I use this multiplier for is to conpensate for different brands of filiments having different viscosities at the same temprature. My firmware E steps are base on how Ultimachine filiment worked in my machine. I reccomend people drop the extra coin and buy Ulti for their printers first run. In my opnion, it performs the best and matches up with expectations. Don't mess around with junk filiment when trying to calibrate your printer. Once you have it dialed in on the good stuff, buy some cheap stuff and figure out how to run it on your printer.

Is this advertising?
I´m sure the tip is worth reading, but naming a certain brand twice leaves a bad taste...

Lately there was a "witch hunt" going on here because of advertising.
-Olaf
Do you suppose that appdev7's 300+ posts over the last two years have all been spam? And yet he/she has managed to evade the vigilant eyes of the moderators? Put away your pitch fork. You'll find no witches here.

Shall we now purge mention of any and all commercial products from our posts? Please tell that to the thousands of people who keep mentioning Prusa i3 printers. It's tiring to read about the same problems over and over again.
o_lampe
appdev007
If you find that you have had one non zero value in the ........ figure out how to run it on your printer.

Is this advertising?
I´m sure the tip is worth reading, but naming a certain brand twice leaves a bad taste...

Lately there was a "witch hunt" going on here because of advertising.
-Olaf

I assure you it's not. I have some history on this forum. I'm assuming you're an experienced 3d printer, so you may not find that tip is helpful. l however found it very helpful when I start up printing and I'm really glad someone made it to me. Everything I read when I started out said set your temperatures to this run your e steps at this and after that first roll of filament I quickly found out that did not hold true for all brands. There are too many variables when dialing in a new printer everything you can do to eliminate a few of them is well worth taking the time to read such a tip to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2015 09:11AM by appdev007.
the_digital_dentist
Do you suppose that appdev7's 300+ posts over the last two years have all been .....

Thank you. I don't know if I have ever received such a comment as the ones Olaf has made. I took some time off and now that I am back I hope this isn't indicative to what I've come back to.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login