Guys,

Does anyone of you use 3D scanner ?
I saw this one...

3D scanner...

Is it easy to use ?

Thanks
Re: 3D scanning ?
November 27, 2015 12:52PM
No it's not easy to use and it's very limited. I've build the 30 dollar scanner, aka Sardau scanner, see:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a-30-laser/
and
http://3dprint.com/49107/cheap-3d-scanner-printable/

The problems are:
- If the object you wish to scan has black or shiny/reflective surfaces it will not scan correctly, it will leave a hole or bump or dint
- calibration is absolutely critical, your object will end up in a mash of mesh (pun intended)
- One laser is doable, two laser matching is extremely difficult, more than 2...
- scan speed is slow, which rules out anything that's moving
- It can only scan small objects
- Scan quality and accuracy isn't great. The Kitty object in the link above has been chosen specifically as it is easy to scan and there's very little detail. Trying to get more detail is difficult.
- It only scans about 60 degrees up and down of the object. If you look at the top of the kitty scan, you can see a lot of artifacts.
- It doesn't scan thin stuff like wire, lines, thin tubes etc.
- So forget about scanning in a model ship, or a toy car with windows or glass bottle.
- If you have a matt clay statue thats very thick and roughly shaped, it may scan well around the 60 degree area the camera sees. The top and bottom needs to be remodeled or you could try another scan at a different angle and try to match the two objects. Since it's hard to get the dimensions right it will be very hard to match up the two scans.
- Used a webcam where I've removed the IR filter for extra exposure, it's still very noisy. I've tried

With all due respect to Sardau, who has done an amazing job at creating something that works, it's very much in a development state.

I think the Kinect scanner is a more viable solution in many situations, if you have the skills to mod it to connect to a pc. They run for 50 euros second hand so could be interesting. I haven't tried this myself yet though but from what I've seen it looks easier to use and scans many more types of surfaces and can be used as handheld device to scan a person or larger object for example.

--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

NFAN CoreXY printer:
[reprap.org]
November 28, 2015 04:52PM
Where do you see kinect scanner ?
November 28, 2015 04:54PM
On youtube.

--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

NFAN CoreXY printer:
[reprap.org]
November 28, 2015 04:54PM
Is this one you're talking about ?
Kinect scanner
November 28, 2015 05:02PM
Are you talking about using Xbox 360 KINECT Motion Sensor for 3D scanning ?
I saw some in ebay
November 28, 2015 09:06PM
Have you tried using 123d catch or some other photogramatry program? I have not tried but the 3dprintingtoday podcast guys are always talking about photogramatry.

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
November 28, 2015 09:24PM
I have tried one time but no luck yet.....
November 29, 2015 04:36AM
I tried using Scanect but my Xbox360 kinect can not work....it's asking for Nvidia GPU, is it a must for using Nvidia GPU ? currently I'm using ATI AMD....
November 29, 2015 05:23AM
I've tried the opensource route to photogrametry.
http://wedidstuff.heavyimage.com/index.php/2013/07/12/open-source-photogrammetry-workflow/

It's a long read, the process is long, slow and complicated. 123d catch is much simpler but also more limited and cloud based.

Photogrammetry produces some coarse geometry, most of the detail you see in examples are in the texture mapping, which is useless for 3d printing. It's also very messy in my experience, needing a lot of cleanup.

Objects need some unique features for the sifter to lock onto or it becomes a complete mess. A white featureless sphere will be very difficult to process for example.

I've been succesful to scan a 15cm statue, but failed to scan the shape of a lens of a spectacle. Even when covering it with painters tape and drawing a unique texture on it. I've also tried scaning a person and also failed, too much background messing up the intended object. I think kinect, even without having tried it myself, should be much easier with the depth sensor.

[EDIT] here are a couple of images:

One of the original shots

Scanned with photogrammetry, fully textured:

And without textures:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2015 09:02AM by imqqmi.

--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

NFAN CoreXY printer:
[reprap.org]
November 29, 2015 05:54AM
I need to use Nvidia GPU, don't I ?
November 29, 2015 09:19AM
Here's an example of the Sardau scanner output:

The textures are very dark because I used little lighting to make the laser line better visible to the camera.

--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

NFAN CoreXY printer:
[reprap.org]
November 29, 2015 09:33AM
I have a Fuel3D scanner. It does high res scans of things like people's faces, but it's a little cumbersome to use because it has to be tethered to a computer via USB and the computer screen has to be visible while using the scanner, and it require DC power input from a wall-wart. If you want to make a multiscan model of someone's head, you have to wait 30 sec between scans for the flash lamps to cool off. It's also a little fussy about the ambient light level. The software for stitching together multiple scans is a little difficult to use. I found some techniques in MeshLab that seem a little easier and more reliable.

They recently came out with a tablet interface and battery pack so you can free yourself from the laptop and power line while scanning. They have also recently released upgraded editing/stitching software that may be easier to use than the older stuff I have used. One of these days I'll get around to investigating those things further...

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
VDX
November 29, 2015 11:38AM
... have you already read through the 3D-scanning subforum? - [forums.reprap.org]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login