Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

E3D v6 3.0mm Direct get stuck

Posted by sidhabo 
E3D v6 3.0mm Direct get stuck
October 20, 2016 03:57PM
Pretty newbie to alu extruder ... no luck with my

E3D v6 HotEnd Full Kit - 3.0mm Direct Genuine E3D

It seemed fine for a starter but after some 20 hours of printing filament stopped feeding.
I loosened the nozzle (0.4) and it was stuck .... filament feeding with nozzle gone was fine.
I had the same type of problem with another alu extruder before this one but that might be due to I had no cooling fan for that one.
It got stuck just after 2 hours printing
Is there some important FW setting need changing when going from non alu to alu extruder ??
I did install according to manual for my new kit.
So I ordered new nozzels ... one 0.4 and one 0.6 , before using this alu I was doing 0.5.
This latest kit had 0.4 Is it needed some more settings than changing nozzle size in my Cura setup ?

I noticed when ordering nozzle there is copper and stainless steel ones .... which is best ?

I like my alu setup but a little confused on how to get it workin proper ;(

Thanks
BR

Prusa i3 Reworked, Delivered March 28 2014, RAMPS 1.4
Göteborg, Sweden
Re: E3D v6 3.0mm Direct get stuck
October 20, 2016 04:30PM
I have been using a V5 3mm direct hot end since they first came out and have had no issues with it.
Have the heatsink fan on 100% of the time and make sure the slicer is set to the correct diameter of the filament. Dont just assume 3mm is 3mm, measure it!
Also what material and what temps are you printing at?
I print ABS only at 235-240c without a hitch.
I did see when I printed PLA for a test that I needed to print "hotter" than normal for it to come out consistently.
October 20, 2016 04:36PM
I print ABS on 240 degree ... also tried now on 235
Cool fan on 100% yes
Hm , so you think it's an issue what quality I have on my 3 mm filament ... not sure it has been workin fine 2 years on my non alu extruder
It's 3 mm for sure if I measure winking smiley
Thanks for feedback

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2016 04:40PM by sidhabo.

Göteborg, Sweden
October 20, 2016 04:47PM
Only thing I can figure is that I used nozzle size 0.5 at the beginning ... then changed it to 0.4 when I realized ... could that provoke geting stuck ???

Göteborg, Sweden
October 21, 2016 08:32AM
No I wouldnt think so. I run a .4mm tip without issues.
October 28, 2016 04:00PM
I have recently tried several Chinese made E3D V6 hotends. I am using 1.75mm ABS with a 0.4mm nozzle with a Bowden setup.
I have found the cooling fan is essential. I wired it so it is on all the time. There are a choice of barrels and I found the PTFE lined ones worked the best for me with ABS at 240 deg C.
I used one continuous length of PTFE tube inside. It is about 53mm. I also used a 2mm reamer through the tube to clean it up at the ends so it does not pinch the filament.
October 28, 2016 04:49PM
sidhabo
Only thing I can figure is that I used nozzle size 0.5 at the beginning ... then changed it to 0.4 when I realized ... could that provoke geting stuck ???

If you're saying Cura was set to use a 0.5 nozzle when you physically had a 0.4 installed, that could potentially cause it. Trying to push more filament out of a smaller hole could cause excessive back pressure and jam it up.

Yeah, the fan is necessary and make sure the retraction length isn't more than 2mm. Any further and you risk bringing hot filament back up into the heatsink and cooling it, causing it to jam.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2016 04:52PM by FA-MAS.
October 29, 2016 01:56AM
FA-MAS
sidhabo

If you're saying Cura was set to use a 0.5 nozzle when you physically had a 0.4 installed, that could potentially cause it. Trying to push more filament out of a smaller hole could cause excessive back pressure and jam it up.

Yes, maybe that was the reason. Been running now some 20 hours and no problem smiling smiley

Göteborg, Sweden
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login