Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Prusa i3 Kit from ebay

Posted by Waltermixx 
Re: Folger Prusa i3 Kit from ebay
December 27, 2014 07:56AM
Just a note;

I used the marlin firmware from the FolgerTech Google drive without modification and it works as it should. Make sure you have all the files from the drive in the folder.

Making it better for Makers!
[makerfront.com]
December 27, 2014 11:11AM
Hi, just got my printer together. But having trouble to get the motors to move and when they do its only in one direction. Loaded a fresh marlin and getting extruder temp errors and nothing works. Also i have the graphical lcd which i cannot get to work also with folgertech marlin or a fresh marlin. I have the u8glib and the line uncommented to allow it to work and I just get a blue screen. Nothing else. Using repetier-host. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S: Forgot to mention that i keep getting endstop hit messages and nothing is even moving.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2014 11:14AM by Nlh205.
December 27, 2014 11:28AM
You have to home the motors first. I ran into that same problem. When you hit home (one motor at a time) make sure the motor is moving in the right direction to get to an end stop. If not pull the plug quick and then remove all power (USB included) and invert your plugs for the motor.
December 27, 2014 01:04PM
I tried flashing a new marlin firmware and It doesn't move still. I tried the home command and still nothing.
December 27, 2014 08:22PM
I have finally got all axis working using the folgertech firmwire. I could not get response from a new flash. But as said before, you have to home each axis before you may jog them correctly. Also I believe I had a bad stepper driver because I had to change my y axis stepper driver and then that axis worked fine. But I have ran into a issue with my extruder g gear going in the wrong direction. My fix was to just flipped the connecter on the ramps board. Also what software packages are you using with success.
December 27, 2014 09:10PM
Nlh205
I have finally got all axis working using the folgertech firmwire. I could not get response from a new flash. But as said before, you have to home each axis before you may jog them correctly. Also I believe I had a bad stepper driver because I had to change my y axis stepper driver and then that axis worked fine. But I have ran into a issue with my extruder g gear going in the wrong direction. My fix was to just flipped the connecter on the ramps board. Also what software packages are you using with success.

Good work. I use Repetier host on debian with Cura as the slicer. Works great. Im also using auto bed leveing with my Folger tech build which makes a HUGE difference in print quality and less time wasted manually leveling the bed.
December 27, 2014 09:53PM
I fixed my issue. It was just a bad ramps board. I swapped it with my old printer and it worked perfectly.
December 27, 2014 10:13PM
HairLikeFrodo
I fixed my issue. It was just a bad ramps board. I swapped it with my old printer and it worked perfectly.

Did you get it from Folger Tech? I also had a faulty RAMPs board from them. The PINs for the Y end stops didn't work. Took me forver to work out what the issues was.
December 27, 2014 10:26PM
HairLikeFrodo
I tried flashing a new marlin firmware and It doesn't move still. I tried the home command and still nothing.

Do you have the jumpers installed?
December 27, 2014 11:12PM
Yeah the board was from Folger Tech. Yeah my jumpers were installed.
December 28, 2014 07:55AM
parksie
Nlh205

Good work. I use Repetier host on debian with Cura as the slicer. Works great. Im also using auto bed leveing with my Folger tech build which makes a HUGE difference in print quality and less time wasted manually leveling the bed.

Did you get it from Folger Tech? I also had a faulty RAMPs board from them. The PINs for the Y end stops didn't work. Took me forver to work out what the issues was.[/quote]

Hi Parksie - which mount did you use for your server on your auto-level?
Mind linking the model?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2014 07:56AM by Drozes.
December 28, 2014 01:13PM
Drozes

Mind linking the model?

Hi, I use This one from thingiverse. However I did run into problems getting aut bed level to work on the Marlin firmware. Obviously the Folger Tech firmware is old and doesn't have a number of features including Auto Bed Level, so I tried with the latest version from the Marlin Marter git, however that didn't proble correctly, so I ended up using another firmware.
December 28, 2014 01:29PM
parksie
Drozes

Mind linking the model?

Hi, I use This one from thingiverse. However I did run into problems getting aut bed level to work on the Marlin firmware. Obviously the Folger Tech firmware is old and doesn't have a number of features including Auto Bed Level, so I tried with the latest version from the Marlin Marter git, however that didn't proble correctly, so I ended up using another firmware.

What firmware did you use?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2014 01:29PM by konto89.
December 28, 2014 01:34PM
konto89

What firmware did you use?

I can't remember the name, however since then I have found the reason the Master Marling Firmware didn't work. WIth my Machine the MAX Endstops were always in a triggered state (You can check this with M119) even though they were not being used. Because of the this the logic behind the auto bed level doens't work and it just probes in one location instead of 4.

The solution is either of the follow

- Uncomment this line #define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS
- Or invert the logic for X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING, Y_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING , Z_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING

Also, I ran into power issue when powering the servo from the RAMPS board. It caused connection issues, so I had to power directly from the PSU. You may not have this issue, it depends on the quality of the RAMPS 1.4 board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2014 01:34PM by parksie.
December 28, 2014 02:23PM
Thank you Parksiesmiling smiley
December 28, 2014 07:40PM
So I have finally had a few successful prints using the white abs from folgertech. So when I ran out I decided I would try out a spool of the pla i bought from seacans.ca. After running about 6 inches of it through my extruder, the extruder started clicking. It was the extruder trying to force the pla down through the barrel. So it ended up getting jammed and i had to clean it out, but does anyone have any idea what i could be doing wrong. I think that maybe it has something to do with the temp?
December 28, 2014 08:01PM
Nlh205
So I have finally had a few successful prints using the white abs from folgertech. So when I ran out I decided I would try out a spool of the pla i bought from seacans.ca. After running about 6 inches of it through my extruder, the extruder started clicking. It was the extruder trying to force the pla down through the barrel. So it ended up getting jammed and i had to clean it out, but does anyone have any idea what i could be doing wrong. I think that maybe it has something to do with the temp?

Same thing happened to me. There is a space of about 10mm between the stepper filament feed and the hole in the hot end. What happens is that the filament doesn't line up when going through and causes the stepper to click because it is slipping.

Retract the PLA, make sure the holes are lined up, Heat up the hot end and feed it through using Repeitier Host or Pronterface. You may have to use a flat head screw driver to guide it into the hole.
December 28, 2014 08:04PM
No parksie i had the filament through the hole and it started air printing and clicking. When i cleaned it the threaded barrel actually had a bulk melted inside of it which caused a jam. So i didnt explain that before.
December 28, 2014 08:05PM
Nlh205
No parksie i had the filament through the hole and it started air printing and clicking. When i cleaned it the threaded barrel actually had a bulk melted inside of it which caused a jam. So i didnt explain that before.

Ah ok, thats a different story then. Have you taken the feed apart and looked for misalignment?
December 28, 2014 08:10PM
parksie
Nlh205

Ah ok, thats a different story then. Have you taken the feed apart and looked for misalignment?

Actually I believed the problem is caused by heat travelling through the threaded barrel and actually melting the pla in the threaded barrel.

Also my extruder and x axis motors get very hot while the others are nice and cool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2014 08:11PM by Nlh205.
December 28, 2014 08:15PM
Nlh205
parksie
Nlh205

Actually I believed the problem is caused by heat travelling through the threaded barrel and actually melting the pla in the threaded barrel.

Also my extruder and x axis motors get very hot while the others are nice and cool.

Ok, it seems you have all the answers already. Im not sure why you ask for help and then disregard the suggestions. Either way, I hope you get it sorted.
December 28, 2014 08:25PM
Nlh205

A couple of suggestions.

Did you make sure the abs was completely clear of the nozzle? I would imagine that the higher temperature needed by the abs could cause it to build up and jam at the lower pla temps.

Also have you taken apart your hot end and put it in the threaded side of the aluminum block? The extra contact between the metal helps with clearing out any heat built up before it gets to the cold end. Waltermixx did that first and several of us followed suit and I think it helps.

As for the hot extruder motor, mine does that too. Not sure what I can do about it other than lower the vref and risk not having enough power to extract smoothly. I will be going to Bowden style in the next couple of months and u how that being further away from the hot end will help with stating cooler on the extruder motor and the reduction in weight will help with keeping the x motor cool.
December 28, 2014 08:26PM
parksie
Nlh205
parksie
Nlh205

Ok, it seems you have all the answers already. Im not sure why you ask for help and then disregard the suggestions. Either way, I hope you get it sorted.

Sorry, for the confusion. I was trying to come across like that. It just i was looking for suggestions if anyone else has came across this and if they have found a definitive fix. Thanks for your help.
December 28, 2014 08:45PM
louspinuso
Nlh205

A couple of suggestions.

Did you make sure the abs was completely clear of the nozzle? I would imagine that the higher temperature needed by the abs could cause it to build up and jam at the lower pla temps.

Also have you taken apart your hot end and put it in the threaded side of the aluminum block? The extra contact between the metal helps with clearing out any heat built up before it gets to the cold end. Waltermixx did that first and several of us followed suit and I think it helps.

As for the hot extruder motor, mine does that too. Not sure what I can do about it other than lower the vref and risk not having enough power to extract smoothly. I will be going to Bowden style in the next couple of months and u how that being further away from the hot end will help with stating cooler on the extruder motor and the reduction in weight will help with keeping the x motor cool.

Actually, i took the pla and let it finish pushing the abs out of the nozzle. Should i not do that? Also i added a nut to the threaded barrel close to the cold end and have had one print without air printing.

I have a full graphic display from folger tech that i can not getting working. I have looked at Tom's video on youtube and have followed the steps and all i get is a blue screen.
December 28, 2014 09:06PM
Nlh205

I have a full graphic display from folger tech that i can not getting working. I have looked at Tom's video on youtube and have followed the steps and all i get is a blue screen.

Do you have 10k Pot for the contrast?
December 29, 2014 05:16AM
parksie
Nlh205

Theres a pot on the board, im assuming thats for the contrast but i have adjusted it and still just a blue screen.
December 29, 2014 01:56PM
Nlh205
parksie
Nlh205

Theres a pot on the board, im assuming thats for the contrast but i have adjusted it and still just a blue screen.

Definately enabled in the Configuration.h?
December 29, 2014 05:00PM
parksie
Nlh205
parksie
Nlh205

Definately enabled but im running on folgertech marlin, so i dont know if that matters or not.
December 29, 2014 05:02PM
Nlh205
parksie
Nlh205
parksie
Nlh205

Definately enabled but im running on folgertech marlin, so i dont know if that matters or not.

I have heard of people having issue with LCD on Folgertech Marlin. I suggest testing on Core Marlin just to rule it out.
December 29, 2014 05:17PM
parksie
Nlh205
parksie
Nlh205
parksie
Nlh205

I have heard of people having issue with LCD on Folgertech Marlin. I suggest testing on Core Marlin just to rule it out.

I was having the same Issue, I had tried everything I could think of. I downloaded and marlin and it started working. Also notice a lot of people are saying adjust the contrast with a potentiometer. The newer boards do not have a potentiometer and are apparently not supported by the older version of marlin packaged by folgertech. Open the old configuration.h in notepad ++ that way you can see the settings in your old file. That will help you edit the new configuration.h in the new marlin. (the new configuration.h file has a lot more settings so you can't just copy it)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2014 10:07AM by KeyserSoze3d.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login