Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[SOLVED] Marlin: Filament Runout Sensor Ignored

Posted by BlankMan 
[SOLVED] Marlin: Filament Runout Sensor Ignored
May 06, 2024 02:57PM
I must be missing something here. My filament runout sensor is not doing it job. When the filament runs out it keeps on printing. Must think it's related to the Energizer Bunny...

I fully expected to run out of filament overnight and have to add a spool in the morning. Half of that happened. It ran out of filament but I didn't add a spool. Too late.

I can start printing when there's no filament in the sensor. When there is filament in the sensor its blue LED is on. If there is filament in the sensor while it is printing and the LED is on I can pull out the filament, its LED goes off but it keeps on printing. I can even disconnect the filament sensor wire and it keeps on printing.

When I do an M119 with filament in the sensor it reports filament TRIGGERED. If I do a M119 without filament in the sensor it reports filament open.

It's a Creality Ender 5 Plus with a BTT SKR PRO v1.2 that has been in it for a while and running Marlin 2.0.9.3. Haven't made any changes to it in a long time. I wanna say this worked just fine for years if so this is really a mystery. I don't ever remember running out of filament during a print and it kept printing and I'm sure I had to add a spool at times when it did run out. Outta sight outta mind except when it don't work.

I just double checked all the code, recompiled it, and loaded it onto the MB, it still ignores the state of the filament runout sensor. I've got a number of other printers running Marlin and never ran into this before.

I'm open to any ideas... This is weird...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2024 08:04PM by BlankMan.
Re: Marlin: Filament Runout Sensor Ignored
May 06, 2024 07:06PM
I too had problems setting up a Filament Runout Sensor.

I finally made my own and changed the default runout pin to Y-Max endstop

#define FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SENSOR
#if ENABLED(FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SENSOR)
  #define FIL_RUNOUT_ENABLED_DEFAULT true // Enable the sensor on startup. Override with M412 followed by M500.
  #define NUM_RUNOUT_SENSORS    1         // Number of sensors, up to one per extruder. Define a FIL_RUNOUT#_PIN for each.
  #define FIL_RUNOUT_PIN       19	        // Hictop, instead of pins_RAMPS.h Y-MAX
  #define FAN1_PIN              7         // Hictop, instead of pins_RAMPS.h

#define FIL_RUNOUT_STATE     LOW        // Pin state indicating that filament is NOT present.
  #define FIL_RUNOUT_PULLUP               // Use internal pullup for filament runout pins.
   #define FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SCRIPT "M600"

#ifdef FILAMENT_RUNOUT_DISTANCE_MM
  #endif
#endif

[reprap.org]

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
May 06, 2024 07:54PM
Yeah well that ain't gonna do it for me. I changed the FIL_RUNOUT_PIN pin to one that is not connected just to see what would happen and M119 than no longer reported TRIGGERED or open when filament was in or was not in the sensor.

So the state of the sensor is being properly sensed and reported, action is not being taken based on what is reported.

I had vaguely saw something regarding enable/disable of the runout sensor so I did more digging amd found it can be enabled and disabled. I.E. the M412 command. So maybe it got disabled somehow.

I'm 4 hours in to a 24 hour print so I'm not gonna muck around with it now. When it's done I'll poke around see if maybe it's a menu item too.
May 06, 2024 08:19PM
I would never stop a started print either.

May 06, 2024 10:23PM
Roberts_Clif
I would never stop a started print either.

Oh yeah. I wouldn't mind connecting up to it via USB and using a terminal window to do a M412 to see how it's set but... I use Simplify3D's Machine Control Tool to talk to the printer gcode command wise. In the past when I plugged the computer into the printer the Marlin printer would do a reset/restart. That be bad.

That was v4 of S3D, don't know how v5 acts now. Until I can test it out I'm not about to find out while it's printing... I could use a terminal emulator on one of my Linux boxes but not wanna risk that either at the moment...
May 07, 2024 10:14AM
I have had problems using some slicers where it would move the configurations from file to slicer and mess up slicer and had to reconfigure.

So Decided to save all my slicer configurations to eliminate the problem.

I built my own filament run-out sensor using lighted end-stop switches, they have proved to work very well.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2024 10:23AM by Roberts_Clif.

May 07, 2024 08:03PM
SOB that was it. Print finished. Hooked USB up to it and did a M412 Runoff Sensors: Off. Checked to see if it's in the Marlin Menu on the printer it is and it showed off so it's back on.

Have no idea who how or when it got set to off. But now I know to check it when I suspect I'll be running outta filament. Never in my wildest dreams... That is until now...

Had nothing to to do with the sensor or hardware, didn't suspect it did testing showed it was working, overthinking, simple fix.
Re: [SOLVED] Marlin: Filament Runout Sensor Ignored
May 08, 2024 09:18AM
OK!

Well I typed that in one of by posts that the LCD had a filament run-out on/off toggle switch.
Somehow in the middle of a post, messed up lost every thing I re-typed post somehow must have missed the LCD on/off toggle switch part.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login