Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

End stops and limit switches

Posted by deckingman 
End stops and limit switches
June 24, 2016 04:41PM
I have a few questions about the duet and end stop switches which I haven't been able to find the answers on the wiki (but maybe I just wasn't looking in the right place).

1. Are end stop switches used purely for homing? i.e. if a switch was triggered during any other operation, would it be acted on to prevent movement beyond normal travel?

2. If I use DC42 IR probe for X or Y axis homing (as well as Z) would a switch fitted to the same axis be ignored or could it be used as a second stage safety switch?

The reason I'm asking is that I am likely to be using high torque stepper motors and fast print speeds so I'm trying to fathom ways to limit damage in the event of something going horribly wrong. I don't like to use the term "fail safe" but that is gist of it. I did think of fitting limit switches to the extremities of all axes and wiring the 24v in series through all the normally close contacts. Then if any switch contact was broken it would completely cut the power. The bed heater will be AC via a SSR so the 24V DC current wouldn't be huge. It'd probably work but it's not a very elegant solution so I'd greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login