Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why does one motor run hotter?

Posted by feistylemur 
Why does one motor run hotter?
October 30, 2016 12:09AM
So I'm using the Duet Wifi. I had leveled all my motors at 1000ma when I set it up, which worked ok. Having just printed an enclosure and added a cooling fan for the drivers, I decided to try upping the voltage to match what the motor ratings say. My Exruder is rated for 1.68, and my X Y and Z motors are rated for 2.5 amps if I'm reading the datasheet correctly. So I upped the XYZ motors to 2000ma just to try it.

So the curious thing to me is the Y motor gets noticeably hotter than the other two. Just comparing to the heatbed, It feels like about 45 degrees where the other two feel like maybe 30 if that.
Re: Why does one motor run hotter?
October 31, 2016 04:03AM
First of all, you shouldn't run the motors at a muh higher current as needed.
The first step would be to measure the temperature as feeling is very inaccurate. You don't tell what kind of printer you use, but I simply would guess that the y-axis is moving not as smooth as the x-axis and therefore more force is needed to move it.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
October 31, 2016 04:55AM
As a general rule, setting the current to 80% of the motor rating is best practice. If one motor is hotter than another, it's probably doing more work. If the geometry of your machine means that the X axis only has to move the hot end, but the Y axis has to move the X axis carriage as well, then I'd expect this to be normal behaviour. In any case, 45 deg C should not be an issue. Check the data sheet for your stepper motors but most are rated at 80 deg C. HTH
October 31, 2016 02:10PM
I always thought, steppers would get hot, no matter if they move or stand still ( holding )?

Maybe you've allowed the colder stepper to switch in idle mode or with a lower holding current?
October 31, 2016 03:24PM
2000ma is the max of the duet wifi drivers to my knowledge, and still not quite 85% of the rated current of the motors which is 2.5 amps.

It's a kossel, it doesn't appear that the Y tower is doing anything more than any other, particularly when printing simple objects. but it's consistently warmer than the other motors even at a lower rating of 1200Ma. I don't think it's a problem temperature since it's not too hot to touch or anything. It just seemed curious to me.
October 31, 2016 05:30PM
You could measure the phase resistances of all 3 motors with a multimeter, to check that they really are the same, in case one of the motors is incorrectly marked.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login