Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[UK] £299 Full 3d printer reprap kits April 2011

Posted by progomez 
Re: [UK] £299 Full 3d printer reprap kits April 2011
June 03, 2011 02:47PM
hi, wondering how easy would it be to attach a 3d scanner and wondering if and how much would it cost to ship to canada? thanks.
June 03, 2011 06:51PM
Hi,
I can't see it being a problem. Would be a case of designing a new scanning head. It has beed done before but if I remember right the object was spun around and a webcam and laser pointer was used.

I will update all prices soon(ish). Problem with designing from new is that delays happen which weren't planned.

One question, would it be better to sell solely from its own website or keep it through IndieGoGo? I do prefer Kickstarter.

Anyway not much longer, hopefully.

Richard
June 04, 2011 03:13AM
I think you'd better sell it only on it's own site, 'cause IndieGoGo asks a percent...
June 04, 2011 08:53PM
As rubdos noted, these services charge a % (on top of that, PayPal, Amazon payments, and other payment services that are inevitably used, also charge a %). But that can be weighted against the "publicity": the public that you reach by using such platforms. It will attract more visitors than your own website. Compare it with selling on eBay: it's also not cheap, but on the other hand, there's no platform where you will attract so many visitors for that price.

The main difference between Kickstarter and Indiegogo is the case of a not fully funded project: kickstarter will not charge a penny from the funders (so Richard, you will also not see any £ or $ in that case, and you will have to address the funders again to make the "purchase"). For Indiegogo, a project that's not fully funded is no problem: you will get your money from the funders, but Indiegogo will charge 9% (!) in that case. And I believe that doesn't even include the charge of PayPal, for using their payment service.

I am personally more inclined towards a webshop, in case of selling a product (and even for "pre-ordering"). It's under your control, and there are lots of platforms available (even cloud-based, so you don't have to install or maintain anything yourself on webhosting servers). It certainly gives a more professional impression ("that's what I offer/sell"), instead of those creative project funding platforms ("I am 'thinking' of starting such a project if I find the money for it"). But of course: people who use this forum will find their way to such a website, but that might not be the case for other people who are in distance-land (internet).

On the other hand, if people order or pre-order through your own website, they can tend to be much more nervous if they have already paid for it at the moment of pre-ordering one and if you don't finish the design before an indicated date: they can consider it less as a "project" that they have funded, but actually as a product that they have bought (and possibly already paid for) and for which they expect delivery. Therefore, an own website should probably only be used if you have already a date in mind where you will be able to deliver (unless if you don't charge anything, or at least not the full amount, in the pre-order phase: but that leaves you in a weaker position in case that those that pre-ordered a printer decide not to continue with the transaction once the printer kits are ready to ship and to be fully paid for: that is a situation that sites like indiegogo and kickstarter specifically address).

You can also mix different platforms. Using a project funding platform to start (there are even others than kickstarter and indiegogo) during pre-order phase, and using a webshop once you have the product finalised and ready for sale. Or, once the product is finalised and ready for sale: selling on eBay, because of the visibility, and running an own webshop simultaneously: and as in most cases, you can publish slightly lower prices on the own webshop (where you don't have to pay charges for every item that is sold).

My 2¢

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2011 09:00PM by KristofDeBuysere.
Bas
June 05, 2011 04:38AM
or make it yourself easy and just fill in a nice wiki so that all the information can be found there. And sell your sumpods only on ebay. The fees arent that high and you safe yourself a lot of work building a website
June 05, 2011 05:17AM
Or you could sell your kits on www.emakershop.com

The site is already setup and well known within the RepRap community.

eMAKER-blue-2.png

[emaker.io]

[emaker.limited]
June 05, 2011 05:21AM
Unfortunately I would have to pay commission to Emakershop. Thanks for the offer now and before though.
Did you sort out the problem with warping on the heated bed platform?

Ebay may be an option.

Richard

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2011 05:29AM by progomez.
June 05, 2011 06:00AM
We have no issues with warping. It is just a case of ensuring the build platform is at the right temperature before starting a print. Sometimes I am impatient and try to chance it, but it's never worth saving 5 minutes of warm-up only to ruin a 6hr print.

eMAKER-blue-2.png

[emaker.io]

[emaker.limited]
June 05, 2011 06:05AM
I mean the problem with the mdf warping

Richard
Just adding my 2p! smiling smiley

If you're going to accept payment through paypal, and only have a single product (or maybe two/three, finished product and a kit) then you can set up a very simple web page, with business details, etc. and simple paypal buttons for buying items. A full blown web shop is over kill at this time I would think, but bypassing ebay will save money.

Lots of free CMS systems out there too. All you have to pay for is the domain name, and some cheap hosting. Maybe £20/£30 a year, or cheaper if you ask nicely! winking smiley If you sell more than a couple of units then you've already saved money on the ebay fees.

Looking forward to getting one, whatever way you decide to sell them! smiling smiley

Cheers,

Darren.
June 05, 2011 07:31AM
I already have some webspace and domain name with godaddy.

Just figuring the best way to promote, as I think it will sell itself when people know what it is.

May use ebay in the short term as well as a web site. Indiegogo takes 9% plus paypal fees if you dont get the goal amount. How well know in indiegogo?

Richard
June 05, 2011 08:11AM
Richard,

We don't use MDF in our heated beds.

eMAKER-blue-2.png

[emaker.io]

[emaker.limited]
June 05, 2011 12:02PM
No I thought you used to put the pcb on top of the mdf and it would warp making it hard to print. You spoke about changing the mdf to something else.

Anyway good on your campaign.

This is good: [www.indiegogo.com]

Richard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2011 12:06PM by progomez.
June 05, 2011 12:54PM
The domain on GoDaddy, combined with ZenCart/Virtuemart/or something alike, will just do the job very well. I've got some experience with Virtuemart and custom made stuff (by me, offcourse), like I stated in the mail ;-)
Hello!

I'm interested in buying your 3d printer kit. But I'd like to ask you come questions.
How can I contact you?

Irina
June 05, 2011 03:39PM
Hi you can contact me on richardjsum@yahoo.co.uk

Richard
June 05, 2011 04:21PM
Hello there.
I just "accidently" fell over this thread, i don't even remember what i was looking for at that moment yawning smiley)
This looks VERY interesting, so much, that i will consider having one of those beasts myself.
Will look around this site, and see if i can find any examples of the things. i would be able to do with it. I surely woke up when the PCB's were mentioned, THAT is a very good argument for me.
Best regards
Ebbe
June 06, 2011 09:08PM
hi, since i am guessing your almost done with this could you release the detail spec for us to see? perhaps some pictures or even better, a video of it in action if you have time..
June 08, 2011 10:18AM
Just an update.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12115945@N00/5812248560
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12115945@N00/5811682821
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12115945@N00/5811683029

I think I will redo the IndieGoGo campaign as its worth the cost for the exposure.

A website is being worked on and the new campaign and website should be live in the next few days. Price will stay at $500 with $60 shipping to the UK and $120 shipping to ROW. As I have bought the weight down I am getting more quotes.

Sorry for the delays but I did a slight redesign and I have been busy in the last months.

I will post links soon. The website will be SUMPOD.COM.

Thanks

Richard

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2011 10:22AM by progomez.
June 08, 2011 10:50AM
It just looks awesome... Well done!
June 08, 2011 10:53AM
will you be able to ship the printer as soon as the site is alive ? or will we have to wait an other 5 weeks campaign ?
June 08, 2011 11:09AM
Thanks rubdos.

The Sumpods will ship on average between 6-8 weeks after order. It should be nearer to 6 weeks. This is because they are made to order but also some parts are coming from across the globe, America and China, and it can take between 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. Kits will then have to be made up.

The 6-8 weeks will start from the order/pledge date, not from the completion of the campaign. So those who pledge first will be sent machines first.

Fortunately the delays have produced a better finished machine. The recent revisions were to redesign the feed and extruder. This led to a moving of the electronics to the base, which in the original were placed on the back. This meant I lengthened the machine at the base, hence the curved holes, so that the electronics would fit. The holes are so air can be drawn in. Also I have made a section on the back for a reel of plastic.

The pictures show the slots at the back of the machine to keep the cables tidy and feed them to the base.

If any orders had been placed then they would have been shipped as stated in the campaign. The reason would be that the changes have involved the mdf parts. All the other parts have stayed the same and could have been ordered at the time of the pledge.

Richard

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2011 11:31AM by progomez.
June 09, 2011 07:01AM
That looks extremely good!

And the eye for detail is fantastic! Even cable/wire gutters!

If you are thinking of redoing a indiegogo/kickstarter campaign: maybe you can also use these platforms to sell "batches" of your printer kits at a price that is only feasible and profitable if you reach a specific number of orders at once (for reasons of bulk buying from suppliers). The only downside from this, is that you need to estimate a reasonable batch size: one of which you are reasonably sure that it will/can be met (otherwise, the campaign fails under kickstarter, meaning that none will be sold after the timeframe, or you face high costs under indiegogo, meaning 9% commission, a Paypal commission, and subobtimal prices from suppliers and/or an eroded profit).

And between rounds/batches you can also make version changes. In the beginning, when you don't have experience with the demand for such product in order to place bulk orders in advance (at your own risk), it also can be easier to tell potential customers that they need to wait until a next round in order to buy a kit (that might contain some positive version changes), instead of showing an "out of stock" message on a webshop. Showing "out of stock" for some time (while you are working on a new batch with incremental upgrades before you bulk order some parts), can make people nervous since they see a webshop more as a place where you can continuously buy stuff, instead of in rounds. And telling that you are working on an incremental new version might plummet sales of the remaining stock. However, if you have the cash to buy some supplies in advance (and if you are willing to take that risk, although that risk will become smaller once you are in business and when you will get some insight in the demand), and if you can continue to use most of these supplies even after you roll out slightly changed versions, than there isn't any more a reason to sell in rounds of batches.

Nice job!
June 09, 2011 07:44AM
Don't know about anybody else, but I'm eager to see the Sumpod print. When will you be posting videos/photos?

Thanks.

eMAKER-blue-2.png

[emaker.io]

[emaker.limited]
June 09, 2011 08:48AM
Here is the new campaign:

[www.indiegogo.com]

edit: removed to keep on topic

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2011 10:10AM by progomez.
June 09, 2011 09:37AM
Edit: removed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2011 10:27AM by jmgiacalone.

eMAKER-blue-2.png

[emaker.io]

[emaker.limited]
June 09, 2011 09:45AM
Not fully true but its in the past.

Again I am glad that some have bought your machine and hope you reach your goal.

Richard

edit: to keep on topic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2011 10:11AM by progomez.
June 09, 2011 02:30PM
hi i am interested in one so my question is are you limiting to just shipping to these 3 country atm or are you willing to go outside and ship it to canadian customer aswell? for the 500 package how many component is there needed to be solder? your machine look like it was made by a big corp so kudos to you.
June 09, 2011 03:13PM
Thanks Sypher.

Sorry I should have changed the price to rest of world for $120.

All soldering is through hole. You would need to assemble the ramps board and four stepper drivers. Motors will come crimped ready to slot onto board.

Richard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2011 03:15PM by progomez.
June 10, 2011 05:53PM
I see that you have sold your first printer! Fantastic!

I also intend to order one (just like some others on this forum, I guess), but I will just wait until there is a video/picture that allows to assess the print quality.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login