Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wanted: one of each printed part for Mendel.

Posted by trescott2000 
Wanted: one of each printed part for Mendel.
May 16, 2010 12:20AM
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get into the Reprap world, but I'm tight on cash as we all are. So I wanted to get one of each of the printed parts for Mendel and then I would use those as a guide for making the rest I need.

I was thinking that about $100USD plus shipping would be good sense I've seen complete sets going on eBay for about $200, but you tell me what you think is fair and we'll see if we can agree on something.

You would be shipping to Ogden, Utah (USA), so I would prefer someone local if possible, but I'll take what I can get, so I am willing to pay international shipping if necessary.

This is the list of printed parts as I understand it. If this is worng, I would appreciate being corrected.

bed-height-spacer-31mm_1off
bed-spring_4off
belt-split-jig-bracket-universal_2off
belt-width-adjuster_1off
circuit-board-bracket-m3_4off
circuit-board-spacer-m4_2off
drive-pulley_3off
frame-vertex_6off
x-180-z-bearing-plate_2off
x-360-z-bearing-plate-mirror_2off
x-360-z-bearing-plate_2off
x-axis-side-plate-nut-jig_2off
x-bar-clamp-m3_6off
x-bar-clamp-m4_4off
x-cable-clamp_1off
x-carriage-belt-clamp_2off
x-carriage-lower_1off
x-carriage-upper_1off
x-end-bracket_2off
x-motor-bracket-spacer_2off
x-vert-drive-nut-trap_4off
x-vert-drive-side-plate-180-end_2off
x-vert-drive-side-plate-360-end_2off
xlr-bracket_1off
y-bar-clamp_10off
y-bearing-180-inner_2off
y-bearing-180-outer-left_1off
y-bearing-180-outer-right_1off
y-bearing-360-inner_2off
y-bearing-360-outer-left_1off
y-bearing-360-outer-right_1off
y-belt-clamp_2off
y-idler-bracket_1off
y-motor-bracket_1off
z-axis-opto-spring_1off
z-bar-top-clamp_4off
z-drive-pulley-rim_4off
z-driven-pulley_2off
z-leadscrew-base-bar-clamp_2off
z-leadscrew-base_2off
z-motor-bracket_1off
z-opto-bracket_1off
z-tensioner_1off

Thanks everyone,

Trescott Jensen

P.S. I know that you post pictures when selling as a way of proving that it's not a scam, but I don't know what you do when buying to prove that it's not a scam. So if you need anything from my to show that I am legitimate, please let me know.
Re: Wanted: one of each printed part for Mendel.
May 16, 2010 02:27AM
I just wanted to add,

WHY DON'T YOU BUY A SET FROM EBAY, THEN!!!
May 16, 2010 10:08AM
Because only 1 person wins those, if he can get someone to bite here, he gets it.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
May 16, 2010 03:34PM
trescott2000 Wrote:
> So I wanted to get
> one of each of the printed parts for Mendel and
> then I would use those as a guide for making the
> rest I need.

If you have the tools and skills, I would suggest making all the parts by yourself. I gathered inspiration from the many wooden mendel builds, especially http://wooden-mendel.blogspot.com/.

That way, you can spread the expenses over a longer period of time. And if there are some parts you are unable to make, you can ask to buy those specific parts here on the forum.

Good luck!
May 17, 2010 02:17AM
Ouch! Nice to see we have such a friendly community here.

Why don't I buy one on ebay? Because there isn't always one being sold. I posted this message after seeing that there wasn't any on ebay at that time. Also, those are complete sets with redundant parts, and I am trying to save some money by making the rest myself.

Why not just make them all myself? Because I've never seen one before in person, and I would feel more comfortable working with good reference models. So I am asking for just the specific parts I need to get started.

If you are angry because you don't like the price I suggested, then tell me what you think is fair! If you don't want to be helpful, then you don't have to reply. But there is no need to be nasty about it.

I do appreciate the well meaning replies, Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2010 02:24AM by trescott2000.
May 17, 2010 05:02AM
trescott2000 Wrote:
> Why not just make them all myself? Because I've
> never seen one before in person, and I would feel
> more comfortable working with good reference
> models. So I am asking for just the specific parts
> I need to get started.

I understand and agree that it's hard to visualize the parts in the beginning, I just think it would be an expensive way to save money if you have the necessary tools already. winking smiley The largest, most difficult to print and thus most expensive parts, normally only need one of each. The parts which there are many similar of, are the smallest and cheapest parts. So you wouldn't save much money if you don't want them.

Take this beautiful frame-vertex by triffid.hunter as an example for visualization. Print it out in 1:1 and see what you think.

You would benefit greatly from a drill press and a band saw, but it's not a difficult piece to make, and can be simplified a lot if you so please.

There is also the laser cut complete kits. And partial kits. How much you save on this is of course depending on how cheap you can source the hardware.

I am close to $1000 in expenses on my wooden mendel. But I like to build things, so it's worth it. smiling smiley
May 17, 2010 06:51PM
Thanks Nudel,

I didn't realize that the more expensive parts were the ones that you only needed one of. I just thought that it would be the larger ones that were more expensive. And it seemed that the big corner pieces (frame-vertex) were the biggest, but then that's what happens when you haven't ever seen them.

I really thought I would have to try to work from the AOI files or something like that. But It looks like Triffid.hunter has those nice printouts for all the parts. I think I'll have to try using those to see if I can do it from those.

I had looked in the Utah group and didn't see anyone there who actually had a Reprap. I did see several people looking for someone who did have one, but no one replied saying that they did. So if I get mine put together soon, I may be the first in my area. But I'm not trying to be first, it just may end up being that way.

If anyone out there does want to take me up on my request, I am still willing to consider it, but in the mean time I am going to play with the printouts that are on triffid.hunter and see if that's enough for me to get it right.

Thanks,

Trescott
May 18, 2010 01:05PM
Utah? I'm right next door in GJ, CO. I'll even be in Utah in a couple of weeks. Where are you?

--
I'm building it with Baling Wire
May 19, 2010 03:47AM
Hey jgilmore,

I'm in Ogden, Utah. Any chance you would be heading up to northern Utah on your trip?
If you wanted to get together, I would be interested. PM me if you are interested.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login