Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Toxic fumes?

Posted by anton 
Toxic fumes?
January 30, 2010 02:47AM
A thought struck me last night, people have been reporting how how different plastics smell when they are being extruded.

That smell really is just another word for fumes, does anybody know if any of those fumes are toxic or dangerous in any other way?
Re: Toxic fumes?
January 31, 2010 07:16AM
Government and materials suppliers publish hazard warnings. One dealing with ABS here: [www.ptsllc.com]
A good idea to follow the recommendations.
VDX
January 31, 2010 02:58PM
... it's generally a good idea to ventilate the room when heating plastics - simply open a window and use a ventilator ...

For my experiments with heat-curing and laser-cutting/-sintering i'm nearly ready building an exhausting system with two ways: - one for the soldering station (running already), the other with a flexible tube to the laser-head on the CNC-mill.

For low amounts of fume i'll ventilate simply out in the garden, for higher rates, when seriously burning, i'll insert an active carbon filter what's absorbing and decontaminating all organic acids and such.

Viktor
January 31, 2010 03:43PM
With Mendel the mere fact it looks like a tent.

It would be very easy to make a Plastic tent to pop over with an extractor fan mounted opposite the motherboard on the frame.

Then use some tumble dryer venting tube to the nearest window.

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login