Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Building in Plastic book coming.

Posted by shysf 
Building in Plastic book coming.
April 03, 2011 12:03AM
I found that a book called Printing in Plastic: Build your Own 3D printer by Floyd Kelly, James, Hood Danel, Patrick. Here is a link:
[www.computerbookshops.com]
Is this something about reprap production or something else?
Re: Building in Plastic book coming.
April 03, 2011 01:50AM
It's a plywood RepStrap. See buildyourcnc.com and his youtube channel for info on the 'whiteAnt' machine: [www.youtube.com]

[haveblue.org]
April 03, 2011 10:43AM
WEAK. More accurate name would be "Build a Cartesian bot to attach Makerbot electronics and extruder"

There are several home brew extruders, and at least the RAMPS and Gen7 electronics can be made.... ohwell.
April 04, 2011 05:08PM
It is a plywood repstrap that is pretty easy to make (considering I managed to make one) and the plans will be creative commons so I've begun documenting what I can here: [reprap.org] One of the neat thing is that it should be structurally sound enough and uses NEMA 23 steppers to do light CNC milling and has attachments to mount a dremel. Yes it is just a cartesian bot, but there's nothing stopping you from using whatever electronics or extruder you want. I don't think that's weak... it will be a VERY well documented repstrap (well if you buy the book), which I think is pretty cool and useful. A lot of the parts you can buy at Home Depot.

Here's a video of it printing: [www.youtube.com]

And the end result, I think the quality is pretty good: [www.flickr.com]

Note: I'm a tech reviewer for the book, so maybe I'm a little biased. smiling smiley

--
Tony Buser http://tonybuser.com * http://reprap.org/wiki/User:Tbuser#Projects
April 04, 2011 05:23PM
I don't think it's WEAK at all, especially when compared to all the other books currently available on building your own 3D printer (yes, that's a sarcastic statement). Given that it appears to be documenting the build from start-to-finish, I think it will be a fantastic reference for people wanting to build a machine, but who are otherwise overwhelmed by the flood of disjointed information.

I see this as a good thing for bringing DIY 3D printing to a wider audience.

[haveblue.org]
April 04, 2011 05:46PM
Aren't all 3D printers some sort of cartesian robot?
April 04, 2011 05:56PM
Some of the early experimental RepRap designs were cylindrical coordinate bots.
April 04, 2011 06:01PM
sorry, bad choice of words... everything that is well documented is a benefit to the community overall. I was just hopefull when glancing at the subject that it would advance our ability to produce more at home... especially on the extruder. The electronics is coming along nicely in the DIY area, but DIY extruders are more difficult by comparison because current solutions require more specialized tools, although some of them are certainly making progress.
April 04, 2011 06:06PM
Yeah, this book is really targeted at absolute beginners with some basic wood working tools. Explaining how to use a lathe to machine the latest extruder design or how to etch the latest circuit boards would be kinda hard and probably obsolete as soon as it was published. smiling smiley

--
Tony Buser http://tonybuser.com * http://reprap.org/wiki/User:Tbuser#Projects
April 05, 2011 05:24PM
I've been waiting for this book. I'm new to this and like the combo deal.
Been following Buser's flickr pics and anajonesr's YouTube channel.
Given that it appears to be documenting the build from start-to-finish, I think it will be a fantastic reference for people wanting to build a machine, but who are otherwise overwhelmed by the flood of disjointed information. I see this as a good thing for bringing DIY 3D printing to a wider audience.

^^ What he said ^^

ISTAR Scope Club
April 29, 2014 12:31AM
HereinCS
Aren't all 3D printers some sort of cartesian robot?

Many, but not all, 3D printers independently control X, Y, Z position (Cartesian coordinates).

The exceptions -- non-Cartesian 3D printers -- include:
Rostock, Kossel,
Deltic3D, Kiwi remix,
GUS Simpson, LISA Simpson,
Wood-D, Delvien,
Cerberus, Delta-Pi,
TRap, RepOlaRap,
Morgan, Wally,
and the "Robot Arm".

(list from RepRap: Mechanical Arrangement )
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login