Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder firmware driving DC motor

Posted by DeLaVega 
Extruder firmware driving DC motor
December 15, 2009 11:41AM
Hello,
I'm building a Mendel for school (thesis) and I'm going to use a mk4 plastruder from makerbot.
Now my problem is that its a DC motor while the reprap firmware expects a stepper motor. Could anyone help me with modifying the firmware so it'll work?
I already looked at the configuration.h file but there is no option for it.

Thanks,
DeLaVega
Re: Extruder firmware driving DC motor
December 15, 2009 01:23PM
Which firmware are you using? Where did you download it from?

Which version of the electronics are you using?
December 15, 2009 02:54PM
I'm using gen3 electronics from makerbot and got the firmware from the RepRap Subversion repository. I'm using the latest version from that page.
December 15, 2009 03:24PM
The idea behind 5D is to specify the length that the extruder should extrude. This makes sense for a stepper, which is controlled by steps, but not for a DC motor, which is controlled by speed. I can't find any way to make the DC motor work with that firmware (without major modifications).

The Generation 3 firmware might work better for you. [reprap.svn.sourceforge.net]

In ArduinoSlaveExtruder/configuration.h there is a MOTOR_STYLE option, which should get you what you need.

More info: [www.reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2009 03:26PM by mccoyn.
December 25, 2009 08:47AM
ok, I uploaded the gen3 firmware but now i don't get any response from the motherboard. I tried reprap-mendel-20091106 and reprap-host-windows-20090613.
Is this normal or did I do something wrong?

Thanks,
DeLaVega
December 29, 2009 11:49PM
this is both normal, and wrong. it's quite normal for complicated firmware to not behave as you expected because of bad wiring, or bad code ( eg, are you end-stops correctly wired, and is your firmtware configured to expect the same logic level as your endstops provide ), I suggest you try small chunks of "test code" to make sure that each pin is connected and behaving as you desire.

As for your DC motor controller issue, I guess that the firmware you want to use is one of the makerbot derivative/s as these have DC motor controls and work with gen3 electronics ( ie a dual-arduino setup). you may end up hacking your own firmware like i did.

Buzz.
December 30, 2009 06:19AM
Everything worked fine with the 5D firmware, but now I don't even get a response in the debugging window.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login