Alligator Board Q & A

Posted by geotete 
Re: Alligator Board Q & A
May 09, 2015 06:46AM
May 09, 2015 07:39AM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
I thought it was an enclosure for the Alligator Board, and not the actual Alligator Board.
But, thanks anyway!

Geotete
May 09, 2015 10:25AM
I just figured out my github fork, my commits are up here:
[github.com]
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (64.2 KB)
May 09, 2015 10:44AM
Perfect just what i needed.
May 09, 2015 12:33PM
EljefedsecurIT, the problem is your Configuration file, uncomment the variable

#define WAITING_IDENTIFIER "wait"

You have the eeprom disabled, recommend to enable the EEPROM very convenient to store variables smiling smiley
May 09, 2015 01:48PM
Ok I made that change, but was still unable to make it connect. I've synced up my latest version to my fork on that.

Likewise, I took some time to pull the marlinkimbra, and I am getting wait states in the console, so it is clearly something with this repetier configuration. I have a busy day today with RL, so I'll have to come back to it late(r) tomorrow, but having marlin working shows promise. still, repetier not working...hrm...
May 10, 2015 02:35AM
Hi Marco,
have tried to connect via rpi-serial port. The repetier server installed can be opend, but no connection is possible to the printer unless the usb cable is pluged in additionally?

Any idea?

Kind regards,

Thomas
May 10, 2015 02:41AM
Hello Marco,

regarding the connection via rpi having a problem.

I can connect to the server, but the printer (Alligatorboard) is only available to be connected when the usb cable is plugged in additionally.

Any idea?

Kind regards,

Thomas
May 10, 2015 03:36AM
Hi Marco,

please see the pix attached. I am using raspberry pi2.

Greetings,

Thomas
Attachments:
open | download - 20150510_090450.jpg (80.8 KB)
open | download - 20150510_090508.jpg (76.8 KB)
May 10, 2015 07:22AM
Hi Thomas,

USB and Raspberry can not communicate simultaneously, they use the same UART port.
Alligator has a hardware smart logic can assign a priority communications.

- If the USB port is connected the communication priority is set to USB.
- If you disconnect the USB port priority communication is set to Raspberry.
May 10, 2015 07:43AM
I think you're wrong communication settings in Repetier-Server.
Disconnect the USB port from Alligator and check your communication settings in Repetier-Server.
The right communication port is /dev/ttyAMA0 :

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2015 07:50AM by MarcoAntonini.
May 10, 2015 10:51AM
Hi Marco,

I only can select between the ports when usb is plugged in.
As soon as it will be unplugged, even though the port is /dev/ttyAMA0, connection will get lost and cannot be reconnected.

check my cable and tried octoprint as an alternative--> no efforts in this matter!

Greetings,

Thomas
Attachments:
open | download - ConnectnoSuccess.JPG (147 KB)
May 10, 2015 01:00PM
Can you post your Repetier-Server Configuration file ?
You can found it in /var/lib/Repetier-Server/configs/printer_name.xml

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2015 01:01PM by MarcoAntonini.
May 10, 2015 08:28PM
I am back online and here is a brief update.
I managed to start fresh with a new re-clone of all the repetier firmware bits this afternoon.
I then did a winmerge comparison, side by side, and only made the changes needed. the one thing I did again with adverse effects was comment out all the configuration settings for EXT1. This has some apparent effect on the ability to communicate with the host once that is done.

I rolled back once again, and *only* made changes for the dimensions, the mechanical end stops, mechanical z-probe on z_min_pin, and adding heated bed. It now looks like I can communicate with it. All looks good again. thanks for the help! Repetier works after all.
May 10, 2015 08:29PM
I now have an issue is trying to discern the extruder steps/mm, and I just want some validation on some assumptions. I am assuming that the line in configuration.h defines ext0 and ext1 after x,,y,z, like so:

#define MICROSTEP_MODES {32,32,32,16,16} // [1,2,4,8,16]

If that is correct, can I assume then, that the format is, and will (eventually) be:
#define MICROSTEP_MODES {[X],[Y],[Z],[EXT0],[EXT1],[EXT2],[EXT3] }

which, would mean, then, that once the piggy board is available, we would have a line that looks like this? :

#define MICROSTEP_MODES {32,32,32,16,16,16,16}

and, I can use any step value from 1,2,4,8,16,32 for those settings?
Since I only have 1 extruder, can I/should I only use this for default alligator board's motors:
#define MICROSTEP_MODES {32,32,32,16 }

I would assume, that we would need to also include configuration settings for EXT1, EXT2 and EXT3, respectively at some point in the future..

I am thinking in advance for ordering a piggy board, and driving my 3 filament diamond head extruder (yet to be delivered) smiling smiley
just checking, and thanks in advance...
May 11, 2015 12:11AM
Hello Marco,

please find the Repetier-Server conig attached.

Greetings and thank you inn advance,

Thomas
Attachments:
open | download - DeltaAlligator.xml (2 KB)
May 11, 2015 11:48AM
ok... in pre-thinking the stepper motor, I discovered an issue when trying to drive the stepper motor in repetier firmware. I seem to be getting weird behavior when trying to drive it at any microstepping mode.

at first I left it at 16 in the motor line like I described, modifying the math , it reflected 1445 steps. I figured it was overkill, but I tried anyways. it would not get the motor to spin around. it would jiggle and wiggle, but wouldn't go either direction. I swapped the motor into one of the other drivers for an arm and validated the motor is still working like the others...so it seems to be isolated around the extruder motor settings.

I double checked my math, and it seems sound. I swapped it all the way down to 1/1 microstepping, I then started messing with the motor power settings, jacking it up to 150, in hopes that it was a powering issue, but no positive (no pun intended) result.

would you have any advice on how to drive the extruder motor more effectively in repetier? I have a 1.6a 400step motor, in great working condition, just not working with the current repetier code.

i'd like to get this one hammered out in repetier, and short of going to marlin bits next, it seems to be the last thing on my pre-flight checklist for printing.
smiling smiley
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (62.3 KB)
May 12, 2015 03:18AM
so far I managed to get just about everything working on the alligator. I just can't seem to get the extruder stepper motor to turn using the repetier firmware. all my other motors for my axis are fine and respond well.
the extruder motor is just not behaving. it gives some strange noises, and then doesn't move in any direction. I could force it to go in either direction with a nudge. I can feel the pulsing inside it going, it moves back and forth very fast as it makes a loud pulsing noise, and it seems out of sync and simply not shifting. I can plug it into other driver motor ports as an axis motor with no issues.
I could use some help in trying to identify what is causing this. any ideas?

edit: let this be a lesson to all: check your connection wires! I double-checked my motor by crossing black w/ green, and red w/ blue, each to test the polarity. they came out fine, so I rules out the motor. I then needed to rule out the connector,so I re-made a connector, re-seated the pins on the board, and it turns out I simply needed to get the black wire reseated after all is said and done! we are good to go! another alligator board is ready for adding a pi. smiling smiley
but first, we print tonight!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2015 11:45AM by EljefedsecurIT.
May 12, 2015 03:59AM
tomxwagner
Hello Marco,

Thomas
in taking a look at your config, your baud rate is set:
256000/dev/ttyAMA0

What is your device baud rate configured for? based on your pic, it appears 115200?

256000 I don't recall as being a standard baud rate, usually, 57600, 76800, 115200, 230000, or 250000, for example...

hope this helps.
May 12, 2015 05:31AM
EljefedsecurIT
tomxwagner
Hello Marco,

Thomas
in taking a look at your config, your baud rate is set:
256000/dev/ttyAMA0

What is your device baud rate configured for? based on your pic, it appears 115200?

256000 I don't recall as being a standard baud rate, usually, 57600, 76800, 115200, 230000, or 250000, for example...

hope this helps.

Thanx, maybe set to the wrong rate by mistake. Anyhow, tried all kinds of ports with different baud rates and nothing is working.
The only effort is, that the connection sing is orange couloured--> never turned green!
see my pics.
Any other idea?
Attachments:
open | download - USBok.JPG (134.2 KB)
open | download - UARTnok.JPG (112.1 KB)
May 12, 2015 06:37AM
my Repetier-Server when enable communication on /dev/ttyAMA0 is always green, I think some other application is using /dev/ttyAMA0 port, are you sure you disable the ttyAMA0 serial console with the raspi-config command ?
which Linux system you're running on your raspberryPi ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2015 12:31PM by MarcoAntonini.
May 12, 2015 07:06AM
--> Marco
I am using the following OS on my PI:

RASPBIAN
Debian Wheezy
Release date:2015-05-05
Kernel version:3.18

Nothing else installed nor running than the latest repetier-server.
Checked different cables but no function.
May 12, 2015 11:42AM
I would tryto complile at 115200, flash your board, and set your connections to 115200. make sure from a windows pc or some other device that you can communicate via the normal uart usb. if so, make sure your serial is set to OFF in the raspi-config, and try via the usb on the pi. if that works, then try the gpio? i'm right there with you, in the next week... smiling smiley
May 12, 2015 02:06PM
o.k. will try switching to baud rate 115200. serial was always OFF.
Maybe during the weekend there will be some chance to try.

Thanx and CU
May 13, 2015 09:08AM
Hello,

is it possible to connect a Smart Control Display 12864 for Ramps 1.4 to the Alligator Board ? And when ist possible, how and where do i connect it ?

When ist not possible , witch Display can i connect to the Board ?

Thanks for your Help

Jet-A1
May 13, 2015 09:53PM
JET-A1
Hello,

is it possible to connect a Smart Control Display 12864 for Ramps 1.4 to the Alligator Board ? And when ist possible, how and where do i connect it ?

When ist not possible , witch Display can i connect to the Board ?

Thanks for your Help

Jet-A1

I've read in the Italian threads that people have managed to configure the wiring to enable it the 12864 onto an alligator. I'm not quite there yet to start on that side project quite yet.
May 14, 2015 01:02AM
--> EljefedsecureIT
Hi,
changed the baud rate to 115200 and flashed the firmware again.
Everything is working fine. Every day is a step forward.
May 14, 2015 01:45AM
awesome!, is that with the rpi serial port, or just the usb port? you should be able to take it up to 250,000 as well if that's the case...
May 14, 2015 04:16AM
It's a shame the Alligator team didn't learn from the Duet (which is also based around the Arduino Due but came out a year earlier) and design the board to use the native USB port as standard. Using the native USB port instead of the USB-over-serial port solves two problems:

- it means that it doesn't matter what you set the baud rate to, because there is no async comms involved;
- it provides higher speed with flow control, which means you can get much better data rates.

But I understand there are issues with the 5V supply on the Alligator native USB port. Maybe they will fix that in a future revision of the board.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 14, 2015 05:08AM
Hi,
the rpi serial works with 115200 only as far as I can tell.
Via USB it was possible to connect at 250000.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login