Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

prusa i3 uk frame

Posted by stu121 
prusa i3 uk frame
February 13, 2013 02:58PM
does anyone know where I can get a i3 frame cut in the UK ? pref alum but plywood would be ok.

cheers
Re: prusa i3 uk frame
February 20, 2013 01:32PM
Where abouts are you im looking I getting one priced once ive got the correct frame dxf file
February 20, 2013 03:15PM
Check out Ebay. I got my laser cut frame from Ukraine for a nice price and great quality
February 20, 2013 06:02PM
I am in staffs, would probably work out quite a bit cheaper if we could a few. dxf files are on github

had one quote from ebay for £65+vat!

how much did you pay for yours from the Ukraine dhissink?
February 21, 2013 03:03AM
I thing £65 fair price ill see when I wake up see if I get the quote back
February 25, 2013 03:31PM
I'm in the uk

Got mine from reprap source in Germany

Carriage was cheap and fast for the weight and packaging

Add the fact he gets the frames from jo prusa direct and you cannot go wrong

All the outer edges are beveled and holes tapped
February 25, 2013 04:13PM
thanks for that, they do look very nice, I may have to order one of them shortly
February 26, 2013 12:42PM
I quite liked the look of the seemecnc frames - unfortunately the carriage is about 4 times the cost of the bits.

Any other suppliers out there - or is it still too early?

Richard
March 01, 2013 01:28AM
richard_j_m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I quite liked the look of the seemecnc frames -
> unfortunately the carriage is about 4 times the
> cost of the bits.
>
> Any other suppliers out there - or is it still too
> early?
>
> Richard

I think it's still a bit early. For the folks on your side of the Atlantic the frame from reprapsource looks like a good deal and it's from Josef. I'm prototyping over here and have a few quotes back on small quantities, nothing for production just yet. My cost for single prototypes is around US$150 each or just a bit less than getting one from Germany. I'm not so sure about wood though others like it. I think a polycarbonate might be a possibility. Waterjet is expensive and while this could be cut using EDM, I don't know that the DIY community is going to be able to source aluminum frames without raising the cost of the build unless someone starts making them in quantity. The advantage to an AL frame is the ability to scale the printer size but the cost at this point may not be attractive for many.
March 01, 2013 01:43PM
www.twelvepro.com
March 02, 2013 05:56PM
i can get hold of them but come in pairs in aluminium cost 50 quid to cut 10 quid to send in uk but the minimum order is 100 quid hence ive offered the spare to richard if hes happy with the pictures ill post pics on when i get them don ( the guy said 4 days on thursday so should be ready wednesday too collect, if theres a couple of you who want one them get intouch the more people who can get a i3 the more it will get developed
March 15, 2013 11:01AM
Enlightx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm in the uk
>
> Got mine from reprap source in Germany
>
> Carriage was cheap and fast for the weight and
> packaging
>
> Add the fact he gets the frames from jo prusa
> direct and you cannot go wrong
>
> All the outer edges are beveled and holes tapped

i think you got a good deal then cos i looked on the there it was 84 quid with shipping
March 15, 2013 11:10AM
I ended up getting mine from reprap source and it is very good quality and fast shipping. Just need to find somewhere in the UK now for some good quality smooth rods! I just got some from china, which are supposed to be hardened and cnc quality, but they are not straight!
March 15, 2013 11:40AM
how muchh all in was it i got on cut it was way cheaper
March 15, 2013 11:47AM
heres the frame i got for another member at £60 uk cut frame
March 15, 2013 12:38PM
mine was about £82 inc delivery in the end
March 15, 2013 12:47PM
ZappAutomation and MarchantDice both sell good quality rods in the UK. Not cheap though.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 15, 2013 12:51PM
thanks nophead, I will take a look
March 15, 2013 12:53PM
Yup just bought a couple of rods for my i3 from marchantdice after I discovered the ones I had bought for the i3 months ago were way off size.

Ho hum.
Still a lot of progress in one evening is nice but no microswitches and the fact I moved the PSU and extruder to my current i2 means shortage of parts is going to stop play. Hopefully get it printing in a few weeks though.

Richard

(nophead - had I not already got many of the parts a Mendel90 would have been happening, not sure how it compares for noise vs i3 though)
March 15, 2013 01:06PM
any idea if it is worth paying the extra for the chrome plated rods on marchantdice? or will the cheaper hardened ones be OK with linear bearings?
March 15, 2013 01:22PM
If find the hardened ones fine. They have the correct tolerance for the linear bearings. I haven't tried the chromed ones.

I guess the I3 is probably a bit quieter but a complete Dibond chassis is much cheaper than the I3 aluminium and holds the axes rigidly and precisely at right angles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2013 01:36PM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 15, 2013 01:29PM
on the z axis on the i3 wiki says 5mm threaded bar i bought some stainless steel 5mm dia threaded bar would that do im hoping once built ill modify to take 5mm diameter leadscrew i have sourced but cant do it straight away as ill need to change the the y ends nut recess to accept the lead screw bolt
March 24, 2013 01:39PM
ive recently cut out an i3 frame on the cnc, similiar to twelvepro's style but modified for m10 threaded rod on the y axis. i also upgraded some of the printed parts to aluminum. i am the US and can make more, would any one be interested?
March 31, 2013 05:24PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login