Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fillament drying

Posted by Darathy 
Fillament drying
May 19, 2015 06:01PM
Hello i would like to know if the holes in the print are coused by something other then moisture ,this is brand new fillament i got recently and would be really disapointed that it would already be saturated when it arived sad smiley

And how do you guys dry it? ,i found putting it in the oven at 50C does improve but the spool bends in all directions making it a bit usless sad smiley

and that was generaly a bad looking print lol ,i was printing too fast i think. but the holes happen even in low speeds.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2015 06:02PM by Darathy.
Re: Fillament drying
May 20, 2015 12:39AM
Looking at it, I'd agree that it is possibly moisture in the filament. Could possibly be something funky going on at the seams I suppose, a print with seams aligned would be a quick way to check.
But lets assume it's moisture for the moment.

First the oven:
In theory you're oven temp should be lower than the Tg of the filament. For PLA the Tg is '60-65C' on wikipedia --I'm assuming this is PLA because of your oven set point-- so you'd think 50C should be good. However, you're assuming the oven thermometer is accurate, if possible you might want to verify the oven temp with an oven thermometer if you have one or do the experiment I'll mention below.

Another thing to consider is where the oven's temperature sensor is (I'm assuming a modern digital oven is being used, but this probably applies to older ones as well).

- If the sensor is closer to the heating element it will read the 'max' oven temp, so no spot in the oven is hotter than this ever. Batch ovens in I've used in chemistry labs use this set up, because they are used to evaporate off flammable solvents i.e. acetone, MEK (methyl-ethyl-ketone), etc... you never ever want a spot in the oven higher then you set, least you exceed the flash point and cause an explosion. side note, these ovens are specially designed with all ignition sources i.e. electronics, heating elements, outside the oven, NEVER use a standard oven to dry off flammable solvents

- If the sensor is at the ovens exhaust it will read the 'min' oven temp, almost everywhere in the oven is hotter than this.

- If the sensor is somewhere in between, some spots in the oven are hotter and some are cooler. I suspect this is what consumer ovens do, because it would give an average temperature around the set point, which is good for cooking food at a predictable rate.

So, if your oven has a 10 or 15 degree variance from the sensor reading (assuming this is 100% accurate, which it probably isn't), you could unintentionally be at or exceed the Tg of the filament. On top of this ovens typically do bang-bang control, so the temp may cycle +/- 5 degrees during normal operation... and have some significant overshoot when you open and close the door. It's also possible a filament maker's pigments or other additives could alter the Tg, so 60C is really just a ballpark figure.
Also, If your oven has a 'convection' fan, turn it on.... this significantly reduces the temperature variation in the oven.

One way to find the temp to use is to do a small experiment.
I'd recommend cutting off small chunks of filament (verify it's circular to start off with! preferably with a caliper), maybe 5cm. Putting them on a pan with foil or parchment paper, and testing out various temperatures.... start at the 50C you're seeing problems at, maybe drop down 5 degrees at a time. You might want the duration of heating as long as possible. Maybe also put the pan as close to the heating elements on the bottom as possible.
Then check the filament to see if it's still round or has gone elliptical..... if it's deformed lower the temperature. You might still want to go a tad below whatever point you find to have a safety margin.

Now, I sadly have an oven with a minimum set point of ~90C or something.... so I can't dry my stuff in the oven.

I store my filament in a reasonably air tight container, and use these aluminum tins filled with silica gel (most filaments come vacuum sealed with a small silica gel packet, this is much larger). The gel turns from orange to green when it's saturated (well 60% saturated anyways), and you can throw it in the oven at 280F (so about 135-140C) for two hours to reset it. They're mostly marketed for keeping ammunition and guns from getting too humid I guess. It helped dry out some filament I was having trouble with. And it's fairly cheap
They supposedly protect 3 cubic feet each, but I just got 2 of them for a 2 cubic foot box. The more silica gel, the more moisture we can pull out of the filament and prevent any moisture getting in the box from going into the filament to a point (le chatelier principle of equilibrium, at work).

I got them on amazon for ~8USD each. [www.amazon.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2015 12:44AM by shadow651.
May 20, 2015 02:01AM
Darathy
...And how do you guys dry it?..

I would use the Ormerod heatbed, let it sit the night over at 40C or so

Erik
May 20, 2015 09:26AM
It could possibly also be caused by small voids in the filament. If you have a microscope available you could cut a few sections of filament with a very sharp knife or razor blade and look for voids. My guess is that molten plastic is sufficiently viscous that any trapped air would be carried through the nozzle and make small breaks in the extrusion rather than separating out. Obviously drying the filament will do no good it that is the case.

To dry, I think leaving the reels in a sealed bag with dry silica gel in a warm place (airing cupboard) for a few days would probably be safest, though not the quickest way to do it.

Dave
May 20, 2015 03:05PM
Thanks for the replays ,unfortinetly i have an over with setting of 50 and next is 75C , and its a really old oven XD(44 years old...) probably not really reliable. the fillament isnt the problem so far , the plastic spool deforms into a strange so i cant really mount it on the spoolholder .i will print a spoolees addon for [www.thingiverse.com] and just cut some out and put in at 50C and store the spool in the bag.

For storing fillament i got some vacuum bags and the silica gel.

The greenone is the newone i didnt test yet ,got a light blue one that the elfant was made from is saturated with water it just arrived and it wasnt sealed in Vacuum bag and didnt have any silica gel inside. it came from [3dfilaments.ie] ,i was so looking forward to it ,the test samples i got had such good properties ,shame they dont properly store the fillament sad smiley
May 20, 2015 05:44PM
I'm surprised that the spool is deforming at your ovens 50C set point when the filament isn't..... All the spools I've received so far are ABS or polycarbonate, which has a much higher Tg than PLA.
You could take the filament off the spool I suppose (a real pain). But maybe you could make some kind of simple unwinder or something..... you could possibly roll the filament onto better spools.

However, I would definitely complain to the filament supplier about the spools not being stored properly. At the very least every bag should be sealed have a sachet of silica gel, but it's become fairly common to vacuum seal as well.

It's really unbelievable that any supplier would go through the trouble to make a good filament, and then store it badly basically ruining it. and it's also quite bad for business.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2015 05:45PM by shadow651.
May 20, 2015 05:49PM
i will write a complaint to the fillament suplier ,mybe will get it vacum sealed next time ,i am really pleased by it(other then the moisture) ,it sticks to glass with no special glue or anything just cleaning , awsome layer bonding, and the colors are really nice.
May 21, 2015 07:24AM
I am very surprised that 3dfilaprint sent an unsealed reel. I get all my filament from them, and they always arrive in vacuum sealed thick plastic with silica gel, and the box contains an empty ziplock bag to put the reel in once opened.

Definitely something to complain to them about.

Dave
May 21, 2015 12:35PM
dmould
I am very surprised that 3dfilaprint sent an unsealed reel. I get all my filament from them, and they always arrive in vacuum sealed thick plastic with silica gel, and the box contains an empty ziplock bag to put the reel in once opened.

Definitely something to complain to them about.

Dave

My filament arrived two days ago. It was not sealed either only with ceran wrap. But I got the best print ever using the bluesky filament. Yellow flou also delivered very good results. Unfortunately this spool and a sample were covered with some "dust" (I do not know the English word for rests which are generated, if you saw/ file etc.)- That must have been a production fault as the spools was cutted to the dimensions. But the filament itself really perfect.
May 21, 2015 01:15PM
dmould
I am very surprised that 3dfilaprint sent an unsealed reel. I get all my filament from them, and they always arrive in vacuum sealed thick plastic with silica gel, and the box contains an empty ziplock bag to put the reel in once opened...

Please notice Darathy's filament was from [3dfilaments.ie]

Erik
May 21, 2015 01:41PM
Oops, mine is too from 3dfilaments.ie. But It printed the best, so maybe it was not water inside the filament? I have filament here that is one year old and I have much moisture in the air and I have no problem with my filament. Even my ABS is dry.
May 21, 2015 01:48PM
ormerod168
dmould
I am very surprised that 3dfilaprint sent an unsealed reel. I get all my filament from them, and they always arrive in vacuum sealed thick plastic with silica gel, and the box contains an empty ziplock bag to put the reel in once opened...

Erik

Yes Mine arrived today and have reported the issue to them.

The reply was that I am the second to comment/complain about it and they are going to change their packaging.

Otherwise I am impressed by their service but it will tell when I come to print with it.

Darathy can you post either the STL for that Elephant or a link to it And I will print one in the same blue as you.

Doug
May 21, 2015 01:50PM
ormerod168
dmould

Erik

Yup, my mistake. I must be getting dyslexic or sommink.

Dave
May 21, 2015 01:51PM
dmould
ormerod168
dmould

Erik

Yup, my mistake. I must be getting dyslexic or sommink.

Dave

Dave it's called scan reading I reckon I do it as well and read extra stuff cos your used to seeing it.

Doug
May 21, 2015 01:53PM
I dont know ,but so far it was mostly moisture saturation that causes this to my prints ,as i wrote in other post RepRap Austria had the same ,but the original fillament that i had out of any sealed box had no bubbles in the print. only much later that fillament also started having bubbles in the prints.

3Dfilaments.ie , i have already made a complaint and they have responded imidietly ,they told me they would from now on store their fillament in vacuum bags and even offered a free 1kg spool for the inconvenience. I must say i havent had such good experiance towards me(as a Customer). Response is fast and they really seem to care if customer is satisfied.

I will still be ordering from them for sure!
May 21, 2015 01:56PM
dougal1957
ormerod168
dmould

Erik

Yes Mine arrived today and have reported the issue to them.

The reply was that I am the second to comment/complain about it and they are going to change their packaging.

Otherwise I am impressed by their service but it will tell when I come to print with it.

Darathy can you post either the STL for that Elephant or a link to it And I will print one in the same blue as you.

Doug

Here is the Elephant: [www.thingiverse.com]

Did you also get the bubbles in the print?
May 21, 2015 02:13PM
I printed this elephant two times, but with other filament. No bubbles, no problem except that on the second print I was unable to free the head.
May 21, 2015 02:59PM
Darathy
Here is the Elephant: [www.thingiverse.com]

This remix got a better trunk, the original one is a bit fragile

[www.thingiverse.com]

..and keep the bed temp. low and ad lots of cooling or you might end up with this mess:

..talk about mess, this is one of the reasons I gave up on slic3r, new version- new bug, this version went full retard with the 15% infill, sliced it right through, very sorry Ella, this is not worthy :-)

Erik
May 21, 2015 03:19PM
I never had any problem with moist PLA but had one green spool of ABS, look real nasty when extruded from the hotend in free fall but printed just fine and did not have much visual effect on print - in fact, all the ABS parts for my ormerod 168 was printed with that spool

Looks like ET finger, phone home phone home...

But the prints was allright:

this is the worst I have seen, posted by another ormerodder long ago, you can actually see the water inside:

Erik
May 21, 2015 03:21PM
put thatone in slic3r 1.2.6 and the trunk is missing a lot of its surface sad smiley
May 21, 2015 03:28PM
Hello Erik,

what else can we use instead of Slic3r? I have no problems with 1.2.6. regarding the print quality. I tested Cura also. Sometime better sometimes not. Hard to say.
May 21, 2015 03:32PM
ormerod168
I never had any problem with moist PLA but had one green spool of ABS, look real nasty when extruded from the hotend in free fall but printed just fine and did not have much visual effect on print - in fact, all the ABS parts for my ormerod 168 was printed with that spool

Looks like ET finger, phone home phone home...

[attachment 55057 bubbles2.JPG]

But the prints was allright:

[attachment 55058 bubbles4.JPG]

this is the worst I have seen, posted by another ormerodder long ago, you can actually see the water inside:

[attachment 55059 filament-absmoist.jpeg]

Erik

I can see the bubles but at a much lesser degree in that green print. it was exactly how my prints looked with the reprap austria fillament at early stage. later it degraded to something like the elephant picture.
May 21, 2015 03:36PM
I've heard some people say the KISSlicer works ok, I haven't tried it yet though. (I think it's free)

There is simplify3D, and I know some ormerod users on here use it, but it costs $100? but I guess it does supports very well, but occasionally goofs up on some stuff. I haven't gotten it because I'm cheep I guess, and I'd like to see a demo version or something to try before I buy.

I guess RepRapPro is developing a slicer of their own, but I don't know how good it is right now [reprap.org]

The RepRap wiki has a page on some slicers [reprap.org]
May 21, 2015 03:40PM
KISSlicer is partly free, the full version costs around 40-50$, i think. So I gave up even testing it.
May 21, 2015 04:31PM
Treito
Hello Erik,

what else can we use instead of Slic3r? I have no problems with 1.2.6. regarding the print quality. I tested Cura also. Sometime better sometimes not. Hard to say.

Hallo Treito

I agree on Slic3r, also use it from time to time, the latest (experimental) version is very fast and look very promising, have more programmers working on it now AFAIK, esp. like the preview function, was much needed

As said, the reason I invested in Simplify3d was that I lost my patient some time ago, all the bugs, all the failed print because of missing preview

SF3D will give you a bit more control over the print and makes for great and easily removable support but don't expect miracles, basically the slicing is the same, also it seems to me Slic3r is moving fast forward at the moment, so could end up being just as good or even better

Also have used Cura but mostly when the former versions of slic3r failed or I lost patient, sometime slicing a model took hours!, esp. if "do not cross perimeters" was flagged

There are other slicers but AFAIK not as user friendly as slic3r, cure and SF3D

..and the best tool for the job is often the one you know the best

Erik
May 22, 2015 03:37AM
Darathy
put thatone in slic3r 1.2.6 and the trunk is missing a lot of its surface sad smiley

Yes I can see that and a Netfabb repair did not help Slic3r but the original file sliced with Cura 15.04 looks just fine, so with this model, Cura seems to be the cure :-)

Erik
May 22, 2015 11:19AM
I did not get good results using cura with the original file, but Slic3r 1.2.6. works really good for me.
May 22, 2015 01:19PM
i dont know if it is related somehow ,but i have a huge stringing problem

There are some holes in the sting starting point and there may be some relation to the holes in the elephant. i have tried recalibrating the extruder it did not work ,i lowered the temperature to 175 and still had stringing.

is there something else that would couse stringing?
May 22, 2015 01:46PM
You should check retraction, that is also against stringing-
May 22, 2015 01:47PM
should i increase? i have it set to 5mm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login