Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Smartrap - Cimbria - Wood frame project.

Posted by Cliff Mellangård 
Re: Smartrap - Cimbria - Wood frame project.
June 22, 2014 12:38PM
Sorry for a dumb question but wath is a sat file ? smiling smiley
Here is the first motor tests and now do I only nead a glas plate and some small bits for the hotend to have the first prototype done.

I also had to help my friend that bought a smartrap to get all axis working right and finetuning his unit.

Serge I think you nead to update and sort the build guide some more as he managed to mix x/y axis by following the guide?
When I clicked on the x carriage section so did it go to the middle of the y carriage section etc.

[www.youtube.com]
June 22, 2014 02:19PM
SAT file format is used by the ACIS CAD kernel. Once upon a time it was an open format, until Dassault Systemes bought it and promptly closed it. If I'm not mistaken, ACIS is the CAD kernel used by Alibre / Geomagic.
June 22, 2014 03:24PM
Glad to see it moving, Cliff. Looks really nice.
June 22, 2014 04:06PM
markstephen
SAT file format is used by the ACIS CAD kernel. Once upon a time it was an open format, until Dassault Systemes bought it and promptly closed it. If I'm not mistaken, ACIS is the CAD kernel used by Alibre / Geomagic.

Quite correct Mark.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
June 22, 2014 11:14PM
@ Cliff,
Clever bed clamp!

markstephen

What kind of licence had the SAT format? GNU/GPL or something less free?
I'm trying to load/import the SAT files in FreeCAD but no luck so far.
June 22, 2014 11:35PM
When I say the format was open, that means that while it was under a commercial licence, the info was available so others could build import / export tools to interface with their CAD. As far as I know, it has never been open source / FOSS. FreeCAD can not work with those files as to do so would be in violation of their licence.
June 23, 2014 12:09AM
I see, that's what made me wonder, thanks for clearing that up. FreeCAD is for now the only CAD program that actually works for me, i've tried several ... I'm running 100% on Debian based OSes since Windows pissed me off one time to many and i swore never to go back to it ever again, although that has put me back into the media dark ages for a couple of years..
Now Gimp, Inkscape, and FreeCAD are a relief to me.

But is there a way to convert SAT to anything that FreeCAD can understand while keeping the design parts? Or is it best to forget that and just use the STL files and work my way back from there if i need to make changes? I'd like to have more insight how the designs are put together, i learn a lot from looking around in other peoples designs.

The slow path usually works great. :-)
June 23, 2014 12:16AM
BackEMF
I see, that's what made me wonder, thanks for clearing that up. FreeCAD is for now the only CAD program that actually works for me, i've tried several ... I'm running 100% on Debian based OSes since Windows pissed me off one time to many and i swore never to go back to it ever again, although that has put me back into the media dark ages for a couple of years..
Now Gimp, Inkscape, and FreeCAD are a relief to me.

But is there a way to convert SAT to anything that FreeCAD can understand while keeping the design parts? Or is it best to forget that and just use the STL files and work my way back from there if i need to make changes? I'd like to have more insight how the designs are put together, i learn a lot from looking around in other peoples designs.

The slow path usually works great. :-)
If you send me a SAT I can convert it to a STL if that helps

[regpye.com.au]
June 23, 2014 12:47AM
I found your STL's already, i somehow read past the link.
December 01, 2014 04:38PM
This is wath my first experiments with the smartrap idea ended up with smiling smiley
Its far from a smartrap but I still call it a smartrap remix as it started from that smiling smiley
[reprap.org]
[www.thingiverse.com]
Let me know wath you all think of it so far as I call it my toy printer smiling smiley
December 01, 2014 07:52PM
A very well thought out and designed machine, I like it.
One addition may be a guide for the filament that comes off the spool, to stop it uncoiling during use.

[regpye.com.au]
December 02, 2014 10:44AM
Thanks regpy smiling smiley
There will be a lot of enhancements as soon as I finish up everything for the first release.
This is the first prototype release of a working version.

Iam keen to make a Bowden setup with the extruder mounted where the filament spool is now so the weight is even less on the arm.
The current version is to make it as easy to operate as possible.
December 02, 2014 04:08PM
Cliff Mellangård
Thanks regpy smiling smiley
There will be a lot of enhancements as soon as I finish up everything for the first release.
This is the first prototype release of a working version.

Iam keen to make a Bowden setup with the extruder mounted where the filament spool is now so the weight is even less on the arm.
The current version is to make it as easy to operate as possible.

Some ideas that might help.
I designed a Wades style extruder for Bowden use when I was developing the SmartRap machines.
This extruder has become the one I now use for all my machines because I find it so reliable.
The files are available on my website for free download, and it shouldn't be too difficult for you to design a base to suit your build.

here are a few photos of that extruder setup on some of my machines.

[regpye.com.au]
December 02, 2014 04:39PM
Wath motor do you recommend for this style of extruder ??
I mean amps etc smiling smiley

I also see that you x carriage mount seam to use the nema 17 screw spacing are I right ????
iam intrested in testing it but I have no knowledge of making hobbed bolts sad smiley

You use 2.5 a nema 17 motors that are 42 mm long on these extruders ??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2014 04:44PM by Cliff Mellangård.
December 02, 2014 05:24PM
Cliff Mellangård
Wath motor do you recommend for this style of extruder ??
I mean amps etc smiling smiley

I also see that you x carriage mount seam to use the nema 17 screw spacing are I right ????
iam intrested in testing it but I have no knowledge of making hobbed bolts sad smiley

You use 2.5 a nema 17 motors that are 42 mm long on these extruders ??

I use a much lower amperage motor and it can lift 4Kg without any problem. The gearing takes care of the power.
If you want good motors cheap and want quantity, try this guy, he has been very helpful to me.
Roy Yan | Salesman | LDO MOTORS | www.ldomotors.com |
| TEL: +86-755-82418663 | Cell Phone: + 86-158-9979-5233|

The motor I have been using for everything, all axis and extruders is LDO-42STH38-1684A
I have had 100% non failure rate with these motors, unlike some others that I have had as much as 5% failure rate.
As you have ordered a hotend,I will include a hobbed bolt for you as well for free.
The files for the extruder you can download from my website or I will send you an updated version that I am using now.

[regpye.com.au]
December 02, 2014 05:40PM
I have sent you an email Fabrice with the files attached for the extruder and the gears.
I have also added a file for the servo arm that uses a tactile switch instead of a micro switch, I find these to be much better than the micros and also smaller and more accurate for auto bed leveling.
The parcel will contain the hotend and all nozzles ordered, plus all the fittings, a hobbed bolt for the extruder, a pair of springs, a servo arm and a long reach tactile switch.
Will send everything in the same parcel to you, Merry Christmas.

[regpye.com.au]
December 03, 2014 01:44PM
Whas it yours I ordered thru ebay smiling smiley
Iam going to finish the build assembly videos and then look in to using yours or some type of similar extruder winking smiley
Iam already getting a lot of questions on motor types etc on my printer when building so have to go thru the mail bag with that also smiling smiley
Iam currently very tired as my temporary work is a lot of overtime but great money for my builds smiling smiley
December 03, 2014 06:36PM
Cliff Mellangård
Whas it yours I ordered thru ebay smiling smiley
Iam going to finish the build assembly videos and then look in to using yours or some type of similar extruder winking smiley
Iam already getting a lot of questions on motor types etc on my printer when building so have to go thru the mail bag with that also smiling smiley
Iam currently very tired as my temporary work is a lot of overtime but great money for my builds smiling smiley

No, I don't sell through ebay, I only sell direct through my website or by emails.
If anyone wants something they can email or PM me or go to the website.
I stopped using FEEbay when they introduced some very high fees for sellers here in Australia, haven;t used it for years now.
Anyway, your parcel is on its way to you, hotend, nozzles and some extra goodies.

Cheers,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2014 06:37PM by regpye.

[regpye.com.au]
December 03, 2014 07:43PM
:-) clever stuff Cliff!

Looking at the video's now. and putting your printer on the list.
December 03, 2014 09:34PM
regpye
I have sent you an email Fabrice with the files attached for the extruder and the gears.
I have also added a file for the servo arm that uses a tactile switch instead of a micro switch, I find these to be much better than the micros and also smaller and more accurate for auto bed leveling.
The parcel will contain the hotend and all nozzles ordered, plus all the fittings, a hobbed bolt for the extruder, a pair of springs, a servo arm and a long reach tactile switch.
Will send everything in the same parcel to you, Merry Christmas.
thank's reg
it will be a great pleasure to work with your hotend
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login