Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to 3d printing with smartrap need some help

Posted by duranza 
Re: New to 3d printing with smartrap need some help
June 14, 2014 07:23PM
Ok i'm heating up the J-head lite to 180 and extruding with the lcd, but the pfte insert gets soft and the filament sticks to it and it jams. I know this is not normal. If I turn on the fan the temperature drops down 10 degrees and will not reach the target temperature.
June 14, 2014 08:13PM
Can you take a pic or 2 of your j head assembly and post it. It sounds like your getting to much heat in the barrel and it's not sinking the heat properly.
June 14, 2014 08:42PM

How do you get the pictures to show in the forum?
June 14, 2014 08:46PM
duranza

How do you get the pictures to show in the forum?

That first image shows a very lot of heat in that area, the PTFE has even melted, so it would have to be over 260C.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
June 14, 2014 08:49PM
umm.. It never says it gets hotter than 180. I did set the thermistor to 7 like the manufacturer said. Also did a PID auto tune
June 14, 2014 08:53PM
duranza
umm.. It never says it gets hotter than 180. I did set the thermistor to 7 like the manufacturer said. Also did a PID auto tune

In that case,the heat is just building up and not escaping as it should.
Could be that the temperature is actually higher than you think due to some difference in maybe the thermistor or some other reason.
Strange after doing a PID though, seems like a hotend problem to me.
Do you have a digital thermometer that you can test the temps with?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2014 08:54PM by regpye.

[regpye.com.au]
June 14, 2014 08:54PM
Also Reg, I can't get your auto level to work. In fact, I cant get the regular z offset to work right. I get it to home but the extruder is too low and drags.
June 14, 2014 08:56PM
I do not have a thermometer. I wish I did. I'm going to try to load the original marlin that I was using with the other hot end to see.
June 14, 2014 08:56PM
duranza
Also Reg, I can't get your auto level to work. In fact, I cant get the regular z offset to work right. I get it to home but the extruder is too low and drags.

Which firmware are you using? I tried Serge's that is in github for my last build and had no problems with it.
How are you setting up the Z offset?

[regpye.com.au]
June 14, 2014 08:57PM
duranza
I do not have a thermometer. I wish I did. I'm going to try to load the original marlin that I was using with the other hot end to see.

Yes, do that and if you still have problems we will help you sort it out.

[regpye.com.au]
June 14, 2014 08:58PM
I'm using the lcd option where it says Z offset to adjust it, but It doesn't stay.
Anonymous User
June 14, 2014 09:09PM
regpye
That first image shows a very lot of heat in that area, the PTFE has even melted, so it would have to be over 260C.

I don't see any melted ptfe. Sounds the fan is over cooling the hot end. The j-head lite is passively cooled, so you don't really need one. Either turn it off or slow it down with a voltage regulator. Also, when you reinsert the ptfe liner make sure it goes down all the way. Should be 2". If you don't want the smaller gauge bowden tubing, just chop off the excess with a razor.

Also, to make sure you've got the holder on tight, heat it up to about 255C and carefully tighten it down. Don't burn yourself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2014 09:14PM by goldenmongoose.
June 14, 2014 09:27PM
duranza
I'm using the lcd option where it says Z offset to adjust it, but It doesn't stay.
I think you need to set it permanently after finding the correct offset.
Either set it in the firmware or once you have it working using temporary means (set by LCD) then you need to store it in eeprom using M500

[regpye.com.au]
June 14, 2014 09:40PM
I have a small fan blowing on the top part of my hotend only. Just to make sure the PLA arm and such stay cool. I also have a hald circle duct to keep the fan from blowing on the heat sink and blocking any rising heat. This setup works great for me.

From your pix, it does look like the heat is not transferring to the sink. goldenmongoose has good suggestions there, "heat it up to about 255C and carefully tighten it down. Don't burn yourself."

Hang in there, as Reg says, "we will help you sort it out."

You wouldn't believe all the little problems I had getting started. eye rolling smiley Then one day, everything just came together and my little Smartrap is printing like a champ!

Mark
June 14, 2014 10:45PM
madmike8
The tube it comes with goes all the way down in the barrel. You cut it off flush with the top of the ptfe holder. You will use a m4 nut on your 4mm ptfe tube to mount it to the hotend holder.

[attachment 34896 image.jpg]

So the small tube goes all the way down until the end of the Stainless steel threaded rod like this?

Anonymous User
June 14, 2014 11:05PM
Yes. Here is a tutorial for reassembling it: [youtu.be] It requires some special tools, so if you don't think you can do it, just send it back to the manufacturer. I'm sure they'll repair it. It's not really meant to be dissasembled sad smiley
June 14, 2014 11:09PM
Well if the tube is supposed to go all the way down, it wasn't. it was stopping at the metal threaded rod. The hole is drilled off center and did not match the barrel hole.If you can't dissasemble it, how do you clear a jam?
Anonymous User
June 14, 2014 11:24PM
The barrells look off center becasuse of the geometery of the threads. Basically the hole looks shifted to the side where the threads aren't. Anyway was the ptfe not inserted all the way down when you got it or when you reinserted it?

I think when you insert it when it's cold, it's alot harder because the tube is inserted when it's hot, and the heat expands the material, making the holes wider. When it cools to room temperature, it shrinks down. Try heating it up and then inserting the tube.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2014 12:09AM by goldenmongoose.
June 15, 2014 12:04AM
I bought 3 ft of the tubbing and it did come inserted, but not all the way to the nozzle like it shows in the picture
Anonymous User
June 15, 2014 12:20AM
Well, it's not impossible. Mistakes happen. I think somebody maybe got confused.
June 16, 2014 11:26PM
I can't seem to get auto bed level to work. Do you have to do it before every print with g code? Is G29 supposed to trigger the sequence? When I do G29 it only raises the z up and down to the stop and that is it.
June 16, 2014 11:31PM
This is the G code in slic3r

M109 S[first_layer_temperature_0];set extruder temp and start heating
G28;
G1 Z1.5;
G92 Z0;
G29 ;probe bed
G90; set absolute coordinates
G92 E0; reset extruder distance
G1 Z3 F3000; get out of the bed after probe
G1 X77 Y77 F3000 ; move to center

I have attached my configuration file too
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (29.7 KB)
June 17, 2014 11:01PM
Using an infrared thermometer on the brass tip of the extruder should show you the same temperature as in the screen right?
June 17, 2014 11:18PM
duranza
Using an infrared thermometer on the brass tip of the extruder should show you the same temperature as in the screen right?

Should be pretty close. Did you test the thermometer with a know heat source?

[regpye.com.au]
June 17, 2014 11:37PM
The thermometer seems to work right, but when I heat up my first metal hot end to 180, the tip only measures 100C, I get 120C at the stainless rod that goes to heat sink. The supplier says in the Flebay page that it is a 100k EPCO and I have it set at 1 in marlin
June 17, 2014 11:42PM
duranza
The thermometer seems to work right, but when I heat up my first metal hot end to 180, the tip only measures 100C, I get 120C at the stainless rod that goes to heat sink. The supplier says in the Flebay page that it is a 100k EPCO and I have it set at 1 in marlin

OK that could be about right, but what temp are you setting it at?
What hotend are you using? Mine do not have the problem of heat rising,it has been designed to eliminate that problem.
Do you have a cowl around the hotend?
Are you using a fan?

[regpye.com.au]
June 17, 2014 11:49PM
The hot end is wrapped in heat shield fiber cloth and I have the fan off. It is the first hot end that I started with. I've been messing around with it until I got the J-Head lite sorted out. The temperature difference would explain why my extruder kicks back. Maybe too much back pressure. How would I adjust the temperature to calibrate the thermistor?
June 17, 2014 11:52PM
duranza
The hot end is wrapped in heat shield fiber cloth and I have the fan off. It is the first hot end that I started with. I've been messing around with it until I got the J-Head lite sorted out. The temperature difference would explain why my extruder kicks back. Maybe too much back pressure. How would I adjust the temperature to calibrate the thermistor?

If you have another known good thermometer you can check against that, otherwise have you tried boiling some water and testing against that, water boils at 100C.

[regpye.com.au]
June 19, 2014 09:44PM
Anybody have just the smartrap marlin file.. I've been trying to download from github but the whole repository takes for ever. I'm trying to get the auto level to work and I want to try a clean marlin file
June 19, 2014 11:45PM
duranza
Anybody have just the smartrap marlin file.. I've been trying to download from github but the whole repository takes for ever. I'm trying to get the auto level to work and I want to try a clean marlin file

Which one do you want? The servo or non-servo files?
I can send them to you.

[regpye.com.au]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login