Posted by droftarts 
Re: New - Makerbot Replicator 2
October 05, 2012 05:04PM
laird Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Replicator 2 prints just PLA, huge print area,
> and amazing quality prints (much better than the
> other home 3D printers).

Oh really? My MendelMax prints in a 300x350mm area and can print better than the Replicator 2 can, plus I can print with PLA, ABS, and now polycarbonate.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
October 05, 2012 05:54PM
I think if we're going to discus "better", I'd start by defining what is better, either from the replicator or reprap.

I don't see anything mechanically in the replicator design that would make it capable of producing significantly higher or for that matter lower quality prints than most well calibrated repraps.

The box is probably stiffer than most threaded rod designs, and is difficult to assemble out of square, but the levels of stiffness and loads were talking about I doubt either one makes very much difference.
October 05, 2012 07:55PM
Replicator 2 is hardly the first stiff-framed printer out there.
And i disagree, even "boxy" designs can be assembled out of square (skewed).

So yes, i agree, i don't see why it would be any different than others *at all*, unless it has some revolutionary design feature i am not aware of.
October 06, 2012 07:53PM
Much has been said/written about the difficulty of assembling a Mendel frame correctly. Most people use jigs to get the spacing between the vertices right. But if you cut your threaded rods accurately, then there's no need for jigging altogether. I made a cutting jig with a Black & Decker folding workbench, some wood blocks and C-clamps and I cut the rods with a cutting wheel. When I assembled, I just positioned the outer nuts flush with the end of the rods and my frame came out perfect. It also helps to have a well-tuned printer to print the printed parts with so you don't need to drill out the holes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login