Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Instructables

Posted by SebastienBailard 
Instructables
July 07, 2009 06:48AM
Instructables has been behaving oddly in trying to monetize material people put up to share freely:
"Get a 'Pro' (paid) account or you only get to see _some_ of the photographs from the Instructable (along with other 'incentives')".
While putting material behind a paywall may be legal, it violates the implicit social contract between the website and the folk who thought they were just sharing their work under FLOSS/CC-type licenses.

Discussion:
[www.metafilter.com]
[theonda.org]

Instructables-based discussion:
[www.instructables.com]
[www.instructables.com]

Someone made a comparison to CDDB's behavior, although I think this situation is a bit different, and will play out differently.
[en.wikipedia.org]
Re: Instructables
July 07, 2009 08:46AM
I used to like the site, I lost interest in it when they made if so you could only see the full details if you were signed in with an account (which was completely pointless), now it sounds much worse.
July 16, 2009 01:49PM
I'll be damned if I go through the trouble of making a free instructional only to have somebody else make money off of it, to hell with Instructables.
July 23, 2009 08:23AM
So far I have experienced the need to login to access the addional features like Downloading a PDF file or seeing the aditional pictures this is a change. I also noticed that a lot of the users do have the Pro logo in front of their user names. Other than that I have not noticed any diffrence yet on my Free account.

It certainly looks like they now have incorperated the ability to lock down the usage of the site to apply a change to the use of the site to two diffrent types of user thou.

It will be a great pity if they do make the changes, so far there seems to be no change made to the Licence shown on my account which still reads:-

Attribution Non-commercial Share Alike (by-nc-sa)

by by by This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, as long as they credit you and license their new creations under the identical terms. Others can download and redistribute your work just like the by-nc-nd license, but they can also translate, make remixes, and produce new stories based on your work. All new work based on yours will carry the same license, so any derivatives will also be non-commercial in nature.
Read the Commons Deed | View Legal Code

Maybe they can only make this change to new users and not any of the existing users??

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login