Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dedicated RepRap Conference and 2010 Maker Faires

Posted by bothacker 
Dedicated RepRap Conference and 2010 Maker Faires
January 17, 2010 11:21PM
Has there ever been a global meeting/conference of RepRap users & developers?

If not, I'd like to propose that we organize one!

Would anyone else find this useful?

-Tim

[Added 2010 Maker Faires to title - Sebastien]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2010 06:41AM by SebastienBailard.
Re: RepRap Conference?
January 17, 2010 11:56PM
If would be great, what where the heck would you have it?

Likely the BEST/COOLEST option would be a Hackerspace simultaneous party. Basically have a 24 hour party where people stream the party online and display the parties on screens at each location.

I am just saying winking smiley

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
January 18, 2010 12:00AM
Bay Area
May 22nd and 23rd, 2010

San Mateo County Event Center
San Mateo, Calif.

Detroit
July 31st and August 1st, 2010

Henry Ford Museum
Dearborn, Mich.

New York
September 25th and 26th, 2010

New York Hall of Science
Flushing Meadow Corona Park
Queens, NY

I plan to attend and table at Maker Faire Bay Area - is anyone else planning to attend? Maker Faires are lots of fun!

Aside from that, I think a dedicated RepRapCon2010 or 2011 would be cool, although I suspect a half dozen regional ones are more feasible than one big one.
January 18, 2010 02:21AM
We would also need a UK location with a conection I guess?

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
January 18, 2010 09:05AM
I think a streamed, online conference with the talks recorded and put on youtube or similar would be cool. What sort of software/bandwidth would we need for that?

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
January 18, 2010 11:38AM
Since the core team is based in the UK, I think it would make sense to hold it there.

-Tim
January 18, 2010 02:51PM
bothacker Wrote:
> Since the core team is based in the UK, I think it
> would make sense to hold it there.
>
> -Tim

The core team is all over the planet. We need a virtual conference. Carbon footprint and all that, don'tchaknow. smileys with beer

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
January 18, 2010 07:14PM
I agree with Forrest it has to be a virtual conference and its not just for saving carbon resources reasons.

Its for practical and Credit crunch type reasons RepRappers are now all over the globe ~ some with Jobs in a credit crunch world where taking time out to travel to a hobby type conference is not practical.

Going on line is practical ~ it is by chance green as well ~ its also very fair to all distributed global users / followers who may have difficulty traveling due to Jobs, family, money etc.

A virtual conference is the only fair way for all Reprappers to participate.

The comms / applications required to participate need to be chosen early so Reprappers can set these applications up to Participate with a their virtual presence if they want.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2010 07:20PM by BodgeIt.

Bodge It [reprap.org]

BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

January 18, 2010 08:11PM
I think a RepRap conference is a great idea and doing it virtual might be fun. I think we should still have regional meetings at hackerspaces and such so that we get the food/social stuff going on, but they can all be connected by a video feed. Also having meetings means the people presenting have some people to talk to and interact with.

I really think we should have live video between the conferences so that everyone is involved at once. Doing a little bit of research I found there is a bittorrent streaming client called SwarmPlayer. It has a delay of one-minute, which I don't think is too bad for people doing presentations. It may mean that questions have to be submitted over IRC.

Darwin clone, Gen 2 electronics, Arduino Duemilanove w/ AtMega328, 5D Firmware, Pinchwheel extruder
[www.codeerrors.com]
January 20, 2010 02:58AM
Either this website is borked or I'm having a fuzzy moment.confused smiley

Could someone take a look at:
[makerfaire.com]
and post a link to the form for the Call For Makers: Maker Faire Bay Area 2010?

This is a bit stressful as the deadline is coming up.
Re: Dedicated RepRap Conference and 2010 Maker Faires
January 20, 2010 10:10AM
Oh my the I looked I did not expect to see this thou !!

Maker Faire, Newcastle UK - March 13-14, 2010

Hey Guys & Girls who is comming to this ?

There I was thinking they only have cool stuff like that in the USA.

[makerfaire.com]

Application form

[oreillymedia.co.uk]

So from here in Cheshire Newcastle is 179 miles 3 hours there and 3 hours back.

Flight to USA 8 hours there 8 hours back hmm which is easier.

Bodge It [reprap.org]

January 20, 2010 12:18PM
I think you have to send an email to BayArea@makerfaire.com, which will get you on the mailing list and then tomorrow there will be information sent to that list that explains how to sign up.

Let me know how it goes because I am trying to do the same thing for the Detroit Maker Faire.

Darwin clone, Gen 2 electronics, Arduino Duemilanove w/ AtMega328, 5D Firmware, Pinchwheel extruder
[www.codeerrors.com]
January 20, 2010 05:32PM
Yup. I think I can relax now. Thanks mccoyn.

BodgeIt, try submitting a late entry for yourself if you like, and if you've the time to coordinate. At which point I'll put a big sexy picture on the blog, make a dedicated sticky thread in General_Forum, etc.

mccoyn, ditto, re "At which point I'll put a big sexy picture on the blog, make a dedicated sticky thread in General_Forum, etc."

Re: join mailing-list
Date: Today 01:30:21 pm
To: Sebastien Bailard

That makes sense. Sorry about the confusion, and looking forward to getting you submission.

Best,

Sherry
On Jan 20, 2010, at 10:28 AM, Sebastien Bailard wrote:

> I'd like to join the mailing list for the Bay Area Maker Faire call-to-makers announcement.
>
> Previously, I was under the impression that Jan21 was the cut-off day for entries, and I was going a bit nuts. smiling smiley
>
> Regards,
> -Sebastien Bailard
> RepRap.org
January 20, 2010 06:14PM
I also really like the idea of a virtual and physical RepRapCon/party, with people joining in from home, at their local RUGs, and meeting in big cavernous science and tech museums etc.

We are RepRappers, so we should RepRap up something cool.

But I want us to go BIG, and pick a hard, cool design project or two. So let's brainstorm on a few. Time to dig out the old notebooks, guys!

My ideas:
A self-replicating modular building system, call it "RepRap Building System" for want of a better name. smiling smiley
[objects.reprap.org]
or
RepBraillePrinter

Once we have a long enough list, I'll feed it into a web-voting site and we can pick the top 2-3 to work on. And then, take over the world™ (<-Actually part of RepRap policy.)

So come on, RepRap user/builders, or as I like to think of you folk, Developers, let's see your ideas. (With wiki links, as appropriate.)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2010 06:23PM by SebastienBailard.
January 21, 2010 04:49PM
I have put a very simple and quick application in but its nearly 2 months late.

So I don't hold much hope to getting a place ..

If I do get lucky will any one else like to join in ...?

I have the parts of a once nice 3M x 1M Exhibition stand used 88-98 quite some time ago it has suffered 2 house moves though but I still might make a nice back drop. Just took a picture of a picture so this isn't too good

I don't have the tables any more they were only cheap doors with legs like a wallpaper pasting tables legs though a lot bigger as you could stand on the tables They are easy to make quickly & splash with matt black paint.

SANY0536-1.JPG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2010 04:50PM by BodgeIt.

Bodge It [reprap.org]

January 23, 2010 02:16AM
If I do get lucky will any one else like to join in ...?

I'd say ask for an expedited decision. If you get a solid "Yes" then you can start a good forum thread (with some photos from the faire), positivist and energetic writeup, where people can commit to go with you, and I can put up a advert on the blog.

As it is, less people can commit because they don't know if it will fall through.
You know what would be great? If the conference was in a single physical location, everyone could make a single RepRap part and mail it to that location. Once we get enough, we use the parts to construct a large statue out of the hundreds or thousands of small plastic parts from around the world. Something along the lines of this paper swan made up of identical paper triangles.

[blog.makezine.com]
January 25, 2010 05:56PM
That could be cool. I'd go with RBS beam or mendel parts to some place in the third world where they'll do good work, though.

Or we could all make "Steamboat Willie Figurines" and send them to Disney. grinning smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
January 25, 2010 05:58PM
By the way, we don't have a policy about "Steamboat Willie Figurines" in the Library yet. It might be best to time this carefully, rather than just uploading and downloading Willie-nilly. So to speak.
January 25, 2010 08:34PM
Why don't we try 'teleporting' something from one RepRap meeting to the other? IE someone 3d scans in an object at one meeting, destroys it, then sends the 3d scan data to another RepRap meeting all the way across the world?

Also something like this:
www.roboticsproceedings.org/rss05/p16.pdf
Or this(part of this was 3d printed, we should beg for files):
[ccsl.mae.cornell.edu]
might be worth considering for RBS.

How about we start up a thread for RBS?
January 26, 2010 02:55AM
Duy Nguyen
You know what would be great? If the conference was in a single physical location, everyone could make a single RepRap part and mail it to that location. Once we get enough, we use the parts to construct a large statue out of the hundreds or thousands of small plastic parts from around the world. Something along the lines of this paper swan made up of identical paper triangles.

I absolutely agree to your statement Duy Nguyen. If you mold a large statue using a thousands of plastic, it is very impressive to know it. I want to see the if they able could work like this suggestion.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login