Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reprap motherboard

Posted by zeneslev 
Reprap motherboard
January 19, 2010 09:46PM
Hi all. Can someone explain to me why here a sanguino is connected to the motherboard while here it seems that there is a surface mounted atmega644 already on the board? I'm guessing that the first image was to an earlier version of the motherbord, but the earlier version of the motherboard in the backlinks still has that smd chip?

Thanks.
Re: Reprap motherboard
January 19, 2010 11:11PM
the motherboard supports either- they've literally taken a sanguino board and added stuff around the edges, so you can either solder the chip in or plug a real sanguino into the headers around it
January 20, 2010 12:15AM
This is because the Sanguino board came first before the Mother board so Zack made sure that the mother board would be compatible with the original Sanguino board.

As always these projects are for ever evolving & improving.

Thus the mother board can have a Sanguino board plugged in or built in its place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2010 12:23AM by BodgeIt.

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
January 20, 2010 03:14AM
Please clarify - if a Sanguino is plugged in , the other uP is 'over ridden' and so the SMT up can be left on the PCA, or is it a case of plugging in the Sanguino after desoldering the SMT uP?
January 20, 2010 03:24AM
if htere is already a SMT one on your board, there is no point solding a separate sanguino one in as well. this is for those that had a sanguino and wanted to re-purpose it into an enpty motherboard PCB.

THe solder points are also a very convenient location for ad-hock connections to the pins for (eg) adding a LED to a pin to ensure your login is *REALLY* working.

Buzz.
January 20, 2010 06:27AM
Unless you can time travel backwards in time you won't have one to plug in.!!!!

As I explained the small Sanguino board was the first version the Original.

So only people who were building a Darwin at the time will have one.

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
January 20, 2010 09:09AM
Basically you can have one or the other.

If you already have a Sanguino and are building the board yourself, then use the Sanguino (unless its needed for other things), you don't need the soldered on part in this case.

Otherwise if you buy the assembled kits from Makerbot, it will come with the LQFP part soldered on no need for the Sanguino. (Unless you need the debugging capabilities.
January 20, 2010 01:03PM
Ah, I see. Thanks for the info!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login