Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level

Posted by Kasahabo 
Re: Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level
December 18, 2015 01:41PM
I just found this video

[www.youtube.com]

I'm going to watch this, but if it doesn't help, I'll try that.
December 18, 2015 01:41PM
Here is my Google docs sheet that will help you to calculate coordinates online - for probe points:
[docs.google.com]

Try to calculate 3 points for radius 50 and enter them in eeprom as z-probe x/y points. Then repeat G29.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2015 01:44PM by paul_delta.

My [www.thingiverse.com] stuff, my configuration of Repetier 0.92.6: [forums.reprap.org] (use Arduino 1.6.5 to compile)
December 18, 2015 01:58PM
So, that video only covers physical construction, not programming, but he's going to make a video about programming soon.
However, it turns out that my X and Z motors were switched. There is nothing in the instructions that says anything about the motor orientation being clockwise or counter clockwise, so I switched my X and Z motors. Not that that should affect my printer's ability to find G29, etc, because the towers are equidistant, and he said he was able to print (his prints were just mirrored) but that will probably help in the future.
December 18, 2015 02:05PM
Yes, it will print, but you will get mirrored prints. You had to check it first before starting to f%%uck my brain smiling smiley

FirmwareFool
So, that video only covers physical construction, not programming, but he's going to make a video about programming soon.
However, it turns out that my X and Z motors were switched. There is nothing in the instructions that says anything about the motor orientation being clockwise or counter clockwise, so I switched my X and Z motors. Not that that should affect my printer's ability to find G29, etc, because the towers are equidistant, and he said he was able to print (his prints were just mirrored) but that will probably help in the future.

My [www.thingiverse.com] stuff, my configuration of Repetier 0.92.6: [forums.reprap.org] (use Arduino 1.6.5 to compile)
December 18, 2015 02:09PM
Haha, sorry. But everything else is still the same. So that still doesn't answer why my printer would be acting the wrong way.
December 18, 2015 02:13PM
FirmwareFool
Haha, sorry. But everything else is still the same. So that still doesn't answer why my printer would be acting the wrong way.

Move your effector in the middle, to be sure it's off endstops and copy-paste the results of your M119 and M205.

December 18, 2015 02:28PM
OK now when I type in G28, my motor makes quite a loud ruckus and causes that motor's belt to shake a lot. I tried it with both your Repetier FW and the old Marlin FW, resetting to m502, m500 each time.
NOW what's the problem?
December 18, 2015 02:30PM
paul_delta
FirmwareFool

Move your effector in the middle, to be sure it's off endstops and copy-paste the results of your M119 and M205.

M119 reports

x max open
y max open
z min triggered
z max open
December 18, 2015 02:30PM
FirmwareFool
OK now when I type in G28, my motor makes quite a loud ruckus and causes that motor's belt to shake a lot. I tried it with both your Repetier FW and the old Marlin FW, resetting to m502, m500 each time.
NOW what's the problem?

If you switched your motors under live 12v there is a chance that you need new stepper drivers or RAMPS.

December 18, 2015 02:34PM
paul_delta
FirmwareFool
NOW what's the problem?

If you switched your motors under live 12v there is a chance that you need new stepper drivers or RAMPS.

No, I unplugged it from both my computer and the wall
December 18, 2015 02:38PM
Is this Marlin output? Your z-probe is triggered, dude! You have to invert it in the firmware.

FirmwareFool
paul_delta
FirmwareFool

M119 reports

x max open
y max open
z min triggered
z max open

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2015 02:39PM by paul_delta.

December 18, 2015 02:55PM
Nothing was triggered, so I figured that meant it was inverted.
If the endstops are engaged (The switches are pressed and the red LEDs are on) and I hold a piece of metal to the Z probe, (The red LED comes on) then type M119, the report is
x max triggered
y max triggered
z min open
z max triggered

So, I still need to set Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true? Because it's set to false right now

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2015 02:57PM by FirmwareFool.
December 18, 2015 02:58PM
Right, you have to invert your z-probe in the firmware. Normally it's open, with metal - triggered. It will fix everything.

FirmwareFool
If the endstops are engaged (The switches are pressed and the red LEDs are on) and I hold a piece of metal to the Z probe, (The red LED comes on) then type M119, the report is
x max triggered
y max triggered
z min open
z max triggered

So, I still need to set Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2015 02:59PM by paul_delta.

December 18, 2015 03:00PM
paul_delta
Right, you have to invert your z-probe in the firmware. Normally it's open, with metal - triggered. It will fix everything.

FirmwareFool
x max triggered
y max triggered
z min open
z max triggered

No, that's what I meant. See I edited my last post. It's already set to false and all the others are set to true. So, do I need to make it true? Or just leave it as false?
December 18, 2015 03:03PM
If it's false - change to true, if it's true - change to false.

FirmwareFool
paul_delta

FirmwareFool
x max triggered
y max triggered
z min open
z max triggered

No, that's what I meant. See I edited my last post. It's already set to false and all the others are set to true. So, do I need to make it true? Or just leave it as false?

December 18, 2015 03:09PM
No, that still caused the motor to try and move past the endstop, causing loud noise the belt to shake.
December 18, 2015 03:09PM
No, that still caused the motor to try and move past the endstop, causing loud noise the belt to shake.
December 18, 2015 03:12PM
FirmwareFool

Did you change all of them? You need to change only z_min.

December 18, 2015 03:14PM
Yes I only changed the Z min.

I just realized though, that the endstop has to be rewired too! I just switched the motor wiring, not the endstop wiring. I will do that now lol
December 18, 2015 03:18PM
I'm sorry, but I'm giving up. I'm searching a black cat in the dark room with you. You change firmware like gloves during our discussion. I thought we're adjusting my repetier configuration but you keep masturbating with Marlin. That's it, sorry.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2015 03:19PM by paul_delta.

December 18, 2015 03:23PM
paul_delta
I'm sorry, but I'm giving up. I'm searching a black cat in the dark room with you. You change firmware like gloves during our discussion. I think we're adjusting my repetier configuration but you keep masturbating with Marlin. That's it, sorry.

Hahaha! Look I am really sorry. I know I am an idiot with this stuff and I know there has been some miscommunication, but you must understand, this is not only new to me, but also the way the G code works does not make sense most of the time. I don't get consistent results, even when I'm doing exactly as I'm told, and nothing significant has changed. Now, the hardware wiring change is on me, I just didn't put 2 and 2 together, but everything else having to do with the G code is not behaving as it should.
If you don't want to help anymore, I understand. I appreciate the advice you have given so far.
I'll let you know if I get it up and running either way.

EDIT: Also, I only change Firmware when I want to compare results. I change back whenever I make changes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2015 03:25PM by FirmwareFool.
December 18, 2015 03:39PM
Alright, I promise from here on out, no more Marlin. ONLY YOUR REPETIER FIRMWARE.

The output is as such when no red LEDs are on and the printer is not plugged into the wall:

15:37:32.021 : endstops hit: x_max:L y_max:L z_max:L Z-probe state:H
December 18, 2015 03:51PM
The original inductive probe (with blue tip) needs 12v to work. So, switch 12v on and check z-probe again.

FirmwareFool
Alright, I promise from here on out, no more Marlin. ONLY YOUR REPETIER FIRMWARE.

The output is as such when no red LEDs are on and the printer is not plugged into the wall:

15:37:32.021 : endstops hit: x_max:L y_max:L z_max:L Z-probe state:H

December 18, 2015 04:12PM
No Red LEDs on, EVERYTHING plugged in (printer to wall, printer to laptop)

16:11:54.283 : endstops hit: x_max:L y_max:L z_max:L Z-probe state:L
December 18, 2015 04:14PM
OK, now manually trigger X tower endstop and make sure with M119 that x_max:H.
Repeat for Y,Z and Z-probe.

FirmwareFool
No Red LEDs on, EVERYTHING plugged in (printer to wall, printer to laptop)

16:11:54.283 : endstops hit: x_max:L y_max:L z_max:L Z-probe state:L

December 18, 2015 04:20PM
Yes, each endstop responded with H when activated, same with the z probe.

I have to leave for now, but once again, thanks for the help (and patience). I will return tomorrow.
December 19, 2015 09:17AM
fattmann
I use a combination of the paper test, and using the same principal (as suggested by paul_delta) I will often use a 2.5mm allen key to set the Z Home position. For the bed itself I went out and got three small levels (about 3" long, think they were "line levels") and leveled the bed to the world using springs under the mounting screws. I then use the G1 Z## F4000 command while at the edges of the bed to find discrepancies to adjust Delta Smooth Rod Offset.

I initially went through the same issues, and then realized the error in my thinking. Everything we read mentions leveling the bed as one of the first steps, and that is where the problem lies.

The goal is to have the effector parallel with the bed through its' entire travel. We can spend hours to level the bed to the world, but it is all meaningless if the effector can't replicate that.

Think of it this way: If I put a 1" block under one of the towers so it looks like the Leaning Tower of Pisa, I can still get the bed level to the world but I'll never get the effector parallel to the bed in this configuration.

I never used the servo arm that Folger provided, and eventually went the the dc42 IR sensor with the Duet controller. Same hardware configuration, no tweaks other than mounting the IR sensor. My autoconfig before printing takes a minute, I run it twice, and I get to 0.0x precision. Not saying Marlin can't work, it was just too much frustration for me.

Anyway, forget about leveling to the world. Get the bottom frame rails parallel, the bed flat on it, the rods equal length, and then adjust Marlin to get the effector running parallel to the bed.

Rick
December 19, 2015 11:58AM
FirmwareFool

I have to leave for now, but once again, thanks for the help (and patience). I will return tomorrow.

I'm back. So, should the z probe be H (High) or L (Low) when triggered? Because mine reports High
December 19, 2015 12:08PM
All probes when triggered must be High. So, yours look OK now.
Turn it off, manually move effector to the middle of Z height, turn printer on and try G28, it should get home and then go down for 20mm from endstops.

FirmwareFool
FirmwareFool

I'm back. So, should the z probe be H (High) or L (Low) when triggered? Because mine reports High

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2015 12:08PM by paul_delta.

December 19, 2015 12:20PM
It does, but it goes about 40 mm from endstops, not 20.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login