Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to 3d printing with smartrap need some help

Posted by duranza 
Re: New to 3d printing with smartrap need some help
June 07, 2014 12:13AM
I can feed it by hand, but it takes way too much force in my opinion. This might be why the stepper is strugling. Are you using a .4mm or a .5mm tip? I got a .4mm tip. I might try switching the side the extruder comes out so that the z axis rod is not in the way. This way I can make a straighter equal bend of the tube.

You guys are awsome. I was feeling really dissaponited with all this problems, but now I can see some light at the end of the tunnel.
June 07, 2014 02:32AM
duranza
I can feed it by hand, but it takes way too much force in my opinion. This might be why the stepper is strugling. Are you using a .4mm or a .5mm tip? I got a .4mm tip. I might try switching the side the extruder comes out so that the z axis rod is not in the way. This way I can make a straighter equal bend of the tube.

You guys are awsome. I was feeling really dissaponited with all this problems, but now I can see some light at the end of the tunnel.

I am using 0.4mm nozzles, but even with a 0.3mm I can push it through easily by hand. It sounds like your hotend is not flowing good enough.
When you get your printer working good enough to do a strong print, maybe you would like to try printing out one of my geared extruders for the SmartRap?
I have the design in both right hand and left hand, I think the one Serge has on github is the wrong one for your machine, I must send him a message and the other file.
The geared extruder fits in place of what you have now, and it allows a 4Kg pull on the filament, more than enough to go through most hotends, but there again, if the hotend can't keep up with the flow something has to give.

Geared extruders are here;
Left hand extruder

Right hand extruder

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
June 07, 2014 03:42AM
Oh no... your not using Netfabb are you? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Actually, that's a pretty good job modeling Reg. Among the best I'v seen coming from that software. You must be well practiced at it.

Folds on surface are a tough thing to avoid for any mesher and sad to say, Netfabb spares no horses laying them on, but only 3 degenerated faces, two on the extruder block and one on the bearing block, and only 2 self intersections on the big gear. None of them are "show stoppers". I have seen some horrible models produced with that software. Yours is a wonderful exception. Well done! (and thanks for the upload) I might just give it a try.

@duranza - Another thing that can really put a drag on the Bowden feeding chain are kinks and sharp bends in the filament. I have a role of black that looks like it was run over with a tank! If your filament is kinked and bent like that, straightening it out will help a boat load too.

Mark
June 07, 2014 12:50PM
duranza
Ok. I have confirmed the steps per mm to be good. It is set in marlin at 91.23 steps per mm and it is right on. I did try to run at 20% feed rate and got some progress. It extruded some steady strands for about a minute then it started clicking/skipping steps again. I have verified that the temperature is within 1 degree of what it displays on the screen. I did also free up the bowden tube to let it be by itself.

At what speed where you printing here? I have the feeling that the filament is being pushed faster then the hotend is able to melt it.
June 07, 2014 07:53PM
I was printing at 20mm/s and then reduced to 20% of that. I have some better news. I was really desperate and drilled the brass fitting with a number 78 drill and guess what? i'm finally printing a calibration print. pictures to come in a little bit.. What a relief.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 04:09PM by duranza.
June 09, 2014 04:13PM
I was only able to print one part and then the hot end jammed. I went ahead and ordered a J-head lite. I had enough headache already. Those of you that are testing, how are Reg's hot ends working out? I might make one when he posts the dimensions and materials.
June 10, 2014 03:50AM
Is the hotend cooled with a fan? Please try the following: Heat the hotend up and remove the filament. Heat it up until ~250°C without the filament attached, the remaining pla should drop down the nozzle. Dip the end of the filament in some oil and insert it into the hotend until it comes out the nozzle. Do this 2 or 3 times, then load the filament as usual. Increase the printspeed to 40mm/s and try to print something. Please ensure that the hotend is cooled with a fan.
June 10, 2014 07:41AM
I do have a fan, but I suspect that the heat is traveling up too far. I have tried to enable auto fan, but it doesn't keep the heatsink cool enough. I have to keep it on all the time full blast. I will try the heating up high without the filament before printing until I get the J head.

Thanks,
June 10, 2014 10:26AM
duranza
I do have a fan, but I suspect that the heat is traveling up too far. I have tried to enable auto fan, but it doesn't keep the heatsink cool enough. I have to keep it on all the time full blast. I will try the heating up high without the filament before printing until I get the J head.

Thanks,

You need to only use the auto fan for cooling your prints. A fan connected to your power supply should be used for cooling your hotend, it needs to be going all the time.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
June 10, 2014 01:48PM
The j-head lite doesn't need a fan, so I wouldn't worry about it.
June 11, 2014 07:15AM
heyzeus
The j-head lite doesn't need a fan, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Mine Jhead lite v2 needed cooling fan, or it was melting the arm holder. More specific, the arm was starting to be like a rubber or plasticine grinning smiley
Right now Im using one of the RegPye's hotend as tester, and I must say that it's just greate design. I will post some specific review after some more prints and tests.
June 11, 2014 12:54PM
Maybe your heat sink wasn't installed right. Did you get a pre-assembled one or did you do it yourself?
June 11, 2014 01:24PM
I don't know this. I tought it was assembled by myself right.

It was starting to get too much hot after more than 2h of printing. Now it's lying on the shelf. I will mount when I will build second smartrap, someday soon smiling smiley
June 13, 2014 03:46PM
What software do you guys use to modify STL files? I'm trying to redesign the front plate where the hot end goes.

Thanks,
Jonathan
June 13, 2014 03:51PM
duranza
What software do you guys use to modify STL files? I'm trying to redesign the front plate where the hot end goes.

Thanks,
Jonathan

FreeCAD

Convert mesh into shape, make shape solid, perform operations, export as .stl. Easy... winking smiley
June 13, 2014 08:32PM
Easy huh.. I don't even know how to rotate the model in free cad lol.. Also I just received the J-head light and the tube it came with is way smaller than the 4mm od x 2mm id I was using before. How are you supposed to use it? This smaller tube bends and kinks too easy. It barely fits the 1.75mm PLA and when I make the bend in the smartrap I can barely push the filament by hand.
June 13, 2014 08:37PM
This is what I'm talking about.. What a Headache..
Attachments:
open | download - CAM00502.jpg (270.9 KB)
June 13, 2014 10:13PM
The tube it comes with goes all the way down in the barrel. You cut it off flush with the top of the ptfe holder. You will use a m4 nut on your 4mm ptfe tube to mount it to the hotend holder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2014 10:16PM by madmike8.
Anonymous User
June 13, 2014 10:45PM
The tubing is 1.93mm ID vs standard 2mm, which provides plenty clearance for 1.75mm filament. Especially when you've got a nema 17 applying force on the filament. The smaller sized outer dimension of the tubing is not supported with any bowden extruder in existance. I think it was released into the wild too early with little to no product support.
June 13, 2014 10:48PM
That this tube that comes with the J head light is for lining the barrel only. Here is a quick 3D view I did, (in FreeCAD, not to scale).

The tube, white, goes through the barrel and is cut flush at both ends. It is only there to allow the PLA to slide thrugh the barrel without sticking to the steel or expanding into the crack between the threaded steel part and the plastic part inside where they join. The Bowden tube, as in the pic below stops flush with the top of the j head barrel and the filament just passes between the two. I just have a 4 mm nut holding my Bowden tube in place, while the filament passing between them keeps it from sliding apart.

Oh, and to rotate your 3D view in FreeCAD - Shift + right mouse if you are in CAD navigation, or Middle button + Right button mouse will rotate as well. Just middle button pans as well as Ctrl + right mouse.

This Wiki page will explain it all - [www.freecadweb.org]

Mark
June 13, 2014 10:50PM
Well, looks like others posted while I was typing. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out so yea, what they said.
June 13, 2014 11:31PM
Ah... Nice so that's how you rotate.. Man I need to do a tutorial to get better at it. I use Solidworks at work, so it's kind of tough to switch. I see what I'm missing.. The end plate that I have doesn't have that fork to stop the nut. I'll have to see what I can do to make it work and print a replacement. Man I wish I had someone around my area that could hook me up to get started.
June 13, 2014 11:44PM
Here is the servoless mount I designed. - [www.thingiverse.com]

It even has FreeCAD files. winking smiley The ones you want are

New_X_End_Mount_Left.stl OR New_X_End_Mount_Right.stl
New_jhead_X_Mount_Arm_Left_V01- OR New_jhead_X_Mount_Arm_Right_V01-
New_jhead_X_Retainer_30mmFan.stl

These fit the Ohio Plastics J Head Light and mount it at the right height.

Mark

Edit- While the interface may differ from SolidWorks, the parametric history based modeling technique is pretty parallel. Once you get the interface down, (it's really not that hard), everything else will fit in with your Solidworks experience. Well, FreeCAD won't do some of that "black magic", like extrude face to face stuff (yet) but all the basics are there. Oh,and fillets may prove to be a bit weaker, but even SolidWorks has some problems with them, so...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2014 11:52PM by markstephen.
June 14, 2014 12:03AM
Thanks Mark..

One more thing.. what are your PID settings for this hot end? The ones they recomend dont work
June 14, 2014 12:12AM
I have -

#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 7

The rest I left Smartrap marlin firmware stock.
Anonymous User
June 14, 2014 12:17AM
I'd like to know if you're seeing wild temperature changes or very flat changes that take too long to get to the right temperature.
June 14, 2014 12:42AM
No, nothing like that. Heats up rather quickly, stays within a couple degrees of set temp (185 C for me).

Did you use the heat sink compound on the resister? I also put it on the thermistor as well. Did you get the ceramic wrapped around and insulating the heatsink from the aluminium block?
June 14, 2014 11:56AM
duranza
{snip} I see what I'm missing.. The end plate that I have doesn't have that fork to stop the nut. I'll have to see what I can do to make it work and print a replacement. Man I wish I had someone around my area that could hook me up to get started.

What I did was to use the regular J-Head mount with the J-Head light to get the new mount printed. (if you have it) Not the best way to mount it but it worked well enough to get the prints done.
June 14, 2014 12:05PM
The parts I got from flebay came with the mount for the big heat sink and fan.
June 14, 2014 01:25PM
Oh, only came with the Huxley mount. I can see how that would put you at a disadvantage. Humm...

OK, check your PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login