Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to 3d printing with smartrap need some help

Posted by duranza 
Re: New to 3d printing with smartrap need some help
June 26, 2014 09:11PM
nice cura print

I'm really liking cura alot. Is there a way to scale an stl inside cura?
June 26, 2014 09:13PM
Bowden tube support

This has helped me get consistent filament flow. Very crude, but I'm going to draw and print something formal soon..
June 26, 2014 09:19PM
duranza
nice cura print

If you click on the model in cura you should get three boxes appear at the bottom of the model view, they are rotate, scale and mirror. You can scale in all axis locked or individually grinning smiley

Looking good, I was having all sorts of problems until I ditched slic3r in favor of cura, its now my only slicing program unless I find something better, but I am not even looking lol
June 26, 2014 09:37PM
duranza
Bowden tube support

This has helped me get consistent filament flow. Very crude, but I'm going to draw and print something formal soon..

Nice print!

Your tube seems too long though. Since your Z rods are not that long anyway, have you though of cutting it a few inches?

Anyway, with a geared extruder, it may not matter much.
June 26, 2014 10:54PM
I was trying to keep the bend radius big to reduce friction. So you think I should cut it?
June 26, 2014 11:00PM
duranza
nice cura print

I think Cura has the very best of scaling that I have used.
Click the mouse on the object that you want to scale and a window will appear with three icons, it will be in the lower left hand side of the working window.
The left hand side is for rotating the object, very powerful and easy to use, three coloured rings appear around the object and you can select one of the rings with the mouse and drag it to what position you want the object to be.
The middle icon is for scaling,. By default it will scale on all sides evenly, and you can turn that off if you want to scale in only one of the three directions.(a small lock image in that window) Scaling can be done until you get exactly the size you want.
The other icon is for mirroring the object, and I find this so very useful too.
Explore these icons and you will fall in love with Cura even more than you have now.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
June 26, 2014 11:03PM
MelT
duranza
Bowden tube support

Nice print!

Your tube seems too long though. Since your Z rods are not that long anyway, have you though of cutting it a few inches?

Anyway, with a geared extruder, it may not matter much.

I am using long, very long tubes on purpose, the reason is to reduce the curve to a minimum, the curves are what course the friction.
Also I make my extruder exit from the back of the machine so that there is only one curve, multiple curves add more to the friction, much more than a single curve that is tighter.

[regpye.com.au]
June 26, 2014 11:04PM
duranza
I was trying to keep the bend radius big to reduce friction. So you think I should cut it?

No don't cut it, if anything increase the length and keep the curve as slight as possible.

[regpye.com.au]
June 26, 2014 11:05PM
duranza
Bowden tube support

Very good idea.

[regpye.com.au]
June 27, 2014 05:50AM
regpye
duranza

No don't cut it, if anything increase the length and keep the curve as slight as possible.

Right. This is why I mounted my geared extruder vertically in the first place. This way, there is only one u-shaped bend and not a spiral if the exit is towards either side. The only drawback is that I have to put it on the edge of the table because the filament entry point is from underneath.

Now that I have mounted my geared extruder permanently, I'm still satisfied with the print even if it's in the same direction as the original design. I'm running low on filament so I'm saving it for necessary stuff. I can't experiment yet if a geared extruder with entry point from the side and an upward exit point will work. winking smiley
June 27, 2014 05:58AM
MelT
regpye
duranza

Right. This is why I mounted my geared extruder vertically in the first place. This way, there is only one u-shaped bend and not a spiral if the exit is towards either side. The only drawback is that I have to put it on the edge of the table because the filament entry point is from underneath.

Now that I have mounted my geared extruder permanently, I'm still satisfied with the print even if it's in the same direction as the original design. I'm running low on filament so I'm saving it for necessary stuff. I can't experiment yet if a geared extruder with entry point from the side and an upward exit point will work. winking smiley

Makes me think that maybe there would be something in mounting the filament spool under the printer so that the filament comes upward.
If the printer was to be mounted on a table that had a hole for the filament or even a box that the printer sat on, the filament could then be placed underneath.
That would give a very good path for the filament to travel through and keep the path as curve reduced as possible.

[regpye.com.au]
June 27, 2014 06:27AM
Hmmm... it looks like the 90 degree bend has been done on the ormerod extruder

I hope you can do your magic regpye. Hehe
June 27, 2014 06:53AM
MelT

Isn't such a tight curve dangerous for the filament? Most of them are quite flexible but PLA may be brittle, especially low quality PLA.
June 27, 2014 09:34AM
I'm not sure about the actual dimensions but it looks like the radius is big enough for it to slide smoothly. I can see that brittleness can be a problem with 3mm filament but I'm guessing not with 1.75mm.

I also noticed that the point where the drive gear is pinching the filament is already past the bend and is straight so I can see this working. Worth a try, don't you think? smiling smiley
June 27, 2014 05:57PM
cristian
MelT

Isn't such a tight curve dangerous for the filament? Most of them are quite flexible but PLA may be brittle, especially low quality PLA.

It is very cold in South Australia at this time of year, and especially in my workshop at night.
I found that a spool of black filament breaks every night and I have to re-feed it into the extruder every morning these last few days.
I have had to stop printing at night because of it.
Not sure what an sharp turn like that would do within an extruder, but I can have a go at making something similar, the curve would need to be as smooth as possible, but really I don't see the point, because turning the extruder a different way will give better results.
Have a look in "Free Stuff" on my website and see a photo of the last extruder shown there, same extruder as I used before, but used a different way.

[regpye.com.au]
June 27, 2014 07:09PM
MelT
I'm not sure about the actual dimensions but it looks like the radius is big enough for it to slide smoothly. I can see that brittleness can be a problem with 3mm filament but I'm guessing not with 1.75mm.

I also noticed that the point where the drive gear is pinching the filament is already past the bend and is straight so I can see this working. Worth a try, don't you think? smiling smiley

I made an STL file for you MeIT, I have not printed it out so you can try it and report back if it is any good.
This has been made especially for you and although not a full 90 degrees is is close to what can be done without making the bend too sharp.

experimental 90 degree extruder

[regpye.com.au]
June 27, 2014 08:39PM
Hey guys, today I found out that I had 1/4 water line plastic tubing (the one that you use for the ice maker) and the 4mm bowden fits perfect inside of it. The 1/4 tube is a lot stiffer and helps reduce the over bending.

Take a look: 1/4 tube

Close up

Yes that is RegPye's extruder back there. I did manage to finally print it with cura and only took me 3 hours.

I also want to take this time to thank everybody that has helped me. You know who you are. If there is any way that I can pay it forward, just let me know.
June 27, 2014 08:57PM
Another good idea about the vinyl tube sleeve around the PTFE liner, keeps it nice and smooth alright.

[regpye.com.au]
June 28, 2014 03:42AM
Hello. all!
I made my SmartRap, I have a problem with "marlin autolevel no servo" insertion.
If I correctly understand - I can use this insertion when I establish a probe hands.
My probe costs below the head on 14.3ΠΌΠΌ, I established it
#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER-14.3
as I can change M555 Z-14.3
in Slic3r in Start G code I wrote down
G28 X0 Y0; home X and Y
G29; probe bed
G90; set absolute coordinates
G92 E0; reset extruder distance
G1 X10 Y10 F3000; move to back right corner
G1 X0 Y0F5000
when I begin the press passes a test of a bed and then prints above a bed.
I read all messages above, anything yet didn't help.
Help to understand please. or send the insertion.
June 28, 2014 05:33AM
regpye
I made an STL file for you MeIT, I have not printed it out so you can try it and report back if it is any good.
This has been made especially for you and although not a full 90 degrees is is close to what can be done without making the bend too sharp.

experimental 90 degree extruder

Thank you so much regpye! smileys with beer I will certainly report back once I've tried it. smiling smiley
June 28, 2014 06:26AM
Oh! ! ! I already understood. Slic3r is guilty.
It puts the G90 code; use absolute coordinates
It shouldn't be. It is necessary to delete with hands this code or to rule ini fail Slic3r
June 29, 2014 03:19AM
I like the tube in tube solution!

I'm wondering is PTFE 2mm ID x 6mm OD exists, then you just need one tube and 6mm fittings
June 29, 2014 03:55AM
BackEMF
I like the tube in tube solution!

I'm wondering is PTFE 2mm ID x 6mm OD exists, then you just need one tube and 6mm fittings

You would need a big fitting at each end too, maybe not enough room to fit it? Best to do the way suggested with an outer sleeve I think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2014 03:57AM by regpye.

[regpye.com.au]
Anonymous User
June 29, 2014 03:32PM
Or you could use 13 AWG PTFE as a liner and use 4mm OD tubing to shore it up. It'll cut cost and make it more rigid. Not a bad idea. I'm gonna have to try this.
June 29, 2014 05:46PM
Has anybody experienced parts getting out of proportion at the outer edges of the printing area?
I'm making something that requires almost full travel but the dimensions get bigger at the edges. Like an 8mm hole is 8.7.. I'm leaning towards the fishing line being too tight.
June 29, 2014 05:51PM
duranza
Has anybody experienced parts getting out of proportion at the outer edges of the printing area?
I'm making something that requires almost full travel but the dimensions get bigger at the edges. Like an 8mm hole is 8.7.. I'm leaning towards the fishing line being too tight.

No not the fishing line too tight, it is the steps for your axis are not quite right, probably too small a number. What do you have it set at present? Did you do a test print for size and check what you are actually getting?

Make a big square outline and try printing that, it only needs to be the shape and just a couple of lines for the shape to test. Doesn't need to have any centre fill. See if the square comes out on size. Make it as big as you can. Should print in a couple of minutes, easy test.
/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2014 06:02PM by regpye.

[regpye.com.au]
June 29, 2014 06:03PM
My steps are 99 on the x and 98 on the why. I have the stepper shaft spool adapters. I have printed a calibration cylinder 10 x 10 x 5 and I'm within .05 Should I print something bigger to dial it in?
June 29, 2014 06:06PM
duranza
My steps are 99 on the x and 98 on the why. I have the stepper shaft spool adapters. I have printed a calibration cylinder 10 x 10 x 5 and I'm within .05 Should I print something bigger to dial it in?

Always print something very big to set the steps correctly.
I edited the last message so I should not repeat here, but anyway, make a very large shape, no centre fill so you don't waste time and material. Print that shape out and measure it for accuracy. A small shape you cannot measure it properly,but a big shape will show up any inaccuracies in your steps, bigger the better.

[regpye.com.au]
June 29, 2014 06:12PM
Ok I will try that. Sorry about having to post twice, but I must have been typing at the same time
June 29, 2014 08:09PM
Hey RegPye, do you have the small extruder gear in freecad or another editable format? I need to make the ID to 4mm for my stepper shaft. I was using a makeshift sleeve and it just broke.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login