Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nylon Corner Block Mendel

Posted by BodgeIt 
Nylon Corner Block Mendel
December 12, 2009 06:13AM
Seeing all the Rep Strap Mendels appearing in many forms. I thought it was time that I made use of My universal Vitamin the ever faithfull Nylon Corner Block as I am a very lazy builder of RepStrap machines.

Preperation Use Triffid_Hunter's 8 Threaded Rod and corner block drawing method use some of swighton's Metal Mendels drawings

Results so Far today I will continue this post Here http://repstrapbertha.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-uninerversal-vitamin-nylon-corner.html as I try to make a the complete Mendel Cartesian bot frame in a day/weekend from scratch.

SANY0335.JPG

SANY0337.JPG
[dev.forums.reprap.org]
SANY0338.JPG
From Blogger Pictures
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2009 06:46AM by BodgeIt.

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
Re: Nylon Corner Block Mendel
December 12, 2009 07:22AM
I broke so many parts trying to get my M6 rod into M6 holes - the clearance is far too tight, certainly impossible to adjust once things are threaded on. drilling mine out to 1/4" (6.35mm) helped immensely.

so use a 21/64 (8.33mm) drill bit instead of M8, or maybe a masonry 7mm bit (with the >8mm spade at the tip) or something for your M8 threaded rod.
December 12, 2009 08:08AM
Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2009 08:12AM by BodgeIt.

Bodge It [reprap.org]

BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

December 12, 2009 08:11AM
I am Just Finishing the last Kebab the bottom Kebab I use an 8.5mm drill for all parts that are to be bolted onto Threaded Bar and for Holding things like the running Bar I use an 8mm hole as it makes a tight friction join ideal for holing the slide bars. To get the bar through the Nylon Blocks with the 8mm hole a gentle tap with a very small rubber hammer from the pound shop is used.

Just about to finish last bottom bar then I will asemble the Equilateral triangles.. hope they realy are equilateral when I have made them in a few.. Im doing a live update on my Blog as I go hope the camera batteries last the day.

I was baby sitting for a bit so had small break of 20 mins oe so. As Midge went off to her live Drawing Class. while I do a live build of Mendel. Poor PC has so many windows open right now it may crash as well.. hope not.

I am using Black Nylon Blocks to show that Im not re-using any of the White ones used in all of my other builds.

So far its two types of corner block 8 with just the single center hole drilled out to 8.5 mm and 20 drilled out one end of the 2 hole side and the single hole side so in total 48 holes drilled in the Nylon corner blocks of coures ther will be quite a few more Nylob corner blocks used I think it will be under a 100 Nylon Corner blocks in total not sure how many till its done/built. Posting live on the blog by just editing the original post.

Ahh double post sorry..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2009 08:21AM by BodgeIt.

Bodge It [reprap.org]

December 19, 2009 09:03PM
For those who are not in the UK or Familiar with these wonderfull little beasties.

SANY0150.JPG
From Blogger Pictures

Called "Nylon Corner Block" ( Fixing Block, Fixit Blocks, Assembly Joint)

[www.diydoctor.org.uk]

The DIY Doctor link above shows the normal use now trying to find them on the internet is not as easy as they go by so many diffrent names so here are some links.

They work out at cost of around 6p each or I guess $0.12 each Mendel and Darwin built with these uses all most one pk of 100 blocks.

They come in White most comon for use in making kitchen cabinets.

I have seen them in Brown Grey Beige Magnolia and Black as you can see from the links below each store uses a diffrent name for them yet they have identical dimensions for the holes.

I can not belive that these are only avalible in UK DIY stores Im sure they will be avalble in the USA and Europe and NZ.

Using these and a few small bits of MDF is by far the most economic way of building a RepRap Darwin or Mendel I have built both Darwin and Mendel now using them to replace the printed parts the Slides on Bertha are all based on these same cheap as chips parts.

I will produce drawings like I did in the [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com] blog for the Mendel version. But I do have an urgent need to get The Modular Flat Pack Solar Powerd Shed Built ASAP and get My Grid Tie Solar power Plant connected and earning its keep.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Fixit-Blocks/invt/164410

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25399/Fixings/Furniture-Fixings/White-Assembly-Joint-Pack-of-10

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9370789&fh_view_size=10&fh_eds=%3f&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{9372218}&fh_search=fixings+&fh_refview=search&ts=1261270332595&isSearch=false

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2009 10:06PM by BodgeIt.

Bodge It [reprap.org]

December 23, 2009 08:22AM
BodgeIt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I will produce drawings like I did in the blog
> for the Mendel version. But I do have an urgent
> need to get The Modular Flat Pack Solar Powerd
> Shed Built ASAP and get My Grid Tie Solar power
> Plant connected and earning its keep.
>

Looking forward to seeing your drawings. I intend to start constructing my Mendel the first week in February 2010 and if I can't obtain the required Mendel RP parts by then I will be forced to take the RepStrap road. Your "Nylon Corner Block" Mendel appears to be the easiest route to take. BTW, Germany does not have such a beast, they use a triangular plastic piece (same idea, wrong shape). Fortunately the father of a colleague at work has frequent business trips to England and will be in several different cities in January 2010 so he can bring back 100 to use in building the Mendel RepStrap machine.

Have now located the plastic pieces in Germany!! They look a little different (seem to be wider) but should work just as well.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2009 09:05AM by rhmorrison.
December 23, 2009 11:31PM
Great news Robert..

They are called "Viereck-Möbelverbinder" they are Brown. (braun).

Yes I will defiantly be making drawings like I did for Darwin version.. this time I will make them only once the Darwin drawings I kept modifying as I made improvements or solved unforeseen physical problems.

We also have several different types of those 45 degree versions as well in the UK.

From your success in finding corner blocks in Germany I think they might be quite a standard item in DIY stores globally. I guess that they are not seen as too important when it comes to putting them in Web based DIY shops. Another large DIY chain in the UK is Focus do it all they do not seem to list these corner blocks on line but have them available in store.

I have found reference to them in NZ so would assume they will be Australia as well.

Bodge It [reprap.org]

January 15, 2010 12:32AM
Up date from the original post here and with the help of the drawings from both Wooden Mendel and Metal Mendel and 9 or so blog posts further on.

I have the Y axis moving on my Plastic Corner Block Mendel.

The Y axis is moving to the tune of Happy birthday at the moment as that's the Motor test routine I used on my Arduino Demiglove look alike formerly an Arduino Decimila upgraded with the Atmel ATmega168 being replaced with an Atmel ATmega328.

Bodge It [reprap.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login