Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HELP!

HELP!
January 20, 2010 07:49PM
Hi,
I was wondering of there is a place where there is a set of instructions for Mendel: a step by step process. So far, I can't seem to find it anywhere. If not, even just some basic instructions (beyond build the base, attach the motors, and go) would be lovely. We are just a bit lost at the moment on how to build everything (mainly circuitry and circuitry installation). Thanks for any help.

~Andrew
Re: HELP!
January 21, 2010 02:41AM
Have you already seen this?
[objects.reprap.org]
January 21, 2010 09:51AM
Yeah. I have, I have been practically living on that page for the last week or so. I was wondering if there was a sort of list of instructions for the building of it, I guess beyond circuitry and more of mounting boards and constructing the skeleton. Is it relatively simple?
January 21, 2010 09:56AM
Ah, you mean... how to make the plastic parts? Normally you use a 3D printer to make them. However, there's been some efforts by people to build a Mendel from scratch by cutting them out of wood, or metal, etc. It works, but it's not that easy, and I'm not sure if there's any good instructions for that.
January 21, 2010 01:29PM
Ok. Have you personally built a Darwin or Mendel?
January 21, 2010 05:45PM
Thes links will give you a verry good Idea of how to procced...

[wooden-mendel.blogspot.com]

[objects.reprap.org]

[dev.forums.reprap.org]

[objects.reprap.org]

[dev.forums.reprap.org]

I also have yet another version that is not exactly the same as a Mendel

It was created using a mixture of the drawings from Metal and Wooden Mendel

[repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
January 22, 2010 12:15AM
Yes, I've personally built a Darwin, but it was using 3D-printed parts provided by Wade. smiling smiley
January 22, 2010 01:44PM
I think that most people that set out to get a mendel go the repstrap route - build a McWire, or a extruder to mount on a traditional (or nontraditional) CNC machine, or buy a makerbot, or...

Point being that it's a difficult thing to build without already having one, and the usual way around this is to built something that's not a darwin/mendel but can print the parts for a darwin/mendel. Commercial printers are very expensive, expect to pay $1000+ for the printed parts.

--
I'm building it with Baling Wire
January 25, 2010 09:48PM
Perfect. Thank you all for your help. Here's the plan:
We are going to go ahead and build almost everything out of wood (turns out the science teacher is a super-skilled carpenter) and have a few of the pieces done in metal. I would recommend this link. It has some really good blueprints on it. Also, there is a site that I came across with a lovely glue-on blueprint for wood Mendel's frame vertex (see attached file). Anyways, I'll post some pictures somewhere as it comes along.

Again, thanks for your help.
~Andrew
Attachments:
open | download - framevertex.jpg (34.4 KB)
January 26, 2010 12:35AM
Note that some of the parts will need to be made from hardwood, such as the z-bar top clamps and the extruder block, as they need the strength. also make sure the grain in your z bar top clamps runs the right way, or they'll easily break winking smiley

how to make your own glue on scale print-outs: [homepage.ntlworld.com] parts 10,11 (around page 79 IIRC)

author, [wooden-mendel.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login