Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level

Posted by Kasahabo 
Re: usb not recognized
July 21, 2015 02:16PM
jitendra
hi

I m new to 3d printing world . last week i bought hesine 3d printer. after full assembly i tried to connect with laptop but my laptop not recognise its USB . so i am unable to find in device manager.
its circuit board light is blinking . several time i hook up and remove .
all usb of laptop r good i checked through putting the mouse in that.
how do i load the drivers to this .
can anybody help.

jitendra

You need to install the Arduino build environment prior to connecting your device. That will install all of the drivers that are required for the device you are working with.
Re: Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level
July 21, 2015 02:25PM
tadawson

I put in the straight 80 . . .not sure why they used the fraction.

- Tim

I asked them this very question and they started ignoring me and never indicated why it was done. I have a feeling it was to compensate for an issue at some point in the past or maybe a copy paste from an older firmware for some random tooth pulleys, wwho knows.

TheVisad
July 21, 2015 03:12PM
thevisad
cman8
thevisad. I made that extruder mount that you showed me. Seems to work much better havent seen any motor skips at all in any of the filmaments. One question though, Now my extruder is not calibrated, Im assuming because of the new MK8 gear. How do I go about changing it in the firmware to make it all calibrated again. I seen some tutorials but cant find where to change it in the firmware. Thanks again any help appreciated.

I honestly have not noticed an issue with the calibration and I left the configs the same for the extruder. The location is where Tim indicated, in this section here.

https://github.com/thevisad/Marlin/blob/master/Marlin/Configuration.h#L619

All good now. Thanks for the reply. I just had to comment out the EEPROM. For some reason with it enabled it wasnt letting me change the settings.
July 21, 2015 11:45PM
Tim, thanks for the tip. At 80 it's printing above and beyond what I thought I would be capable of. It's looking very nice and clean. I had to re calibrate everything but thankfully it was fresh in my mind and its humming. Do the motors get hotter being a higher value?never thought that changing it from 76 to 80 would make that much of a difference.

On a side note, does everyone here vacuum seal their filaments? I live in Utah and its not very humid, so was just curios what the rule of thumb is if any.
July 22, 2015 12:09AM
Mine ran hot enough to deform the corners. I turned down the drivers at first, and nlw have fans and heatsinks on my motors. I don't think the change in steps should have much effect, but others may have more insight onthat topic.

I put my filament in a 2.5 gal ziploc with it's dessicant bag . . . so far, so good . . .

- Tim
July 22, 2015 03:45PM
Did any of your change your heatbed? and if so which one?
July 22, 2015 04:26PM
cman8

Nah, the bed that comes with this unit is actually a really good unit. It heats fast, is stable and pretty darned flat. I have seen people use the hex purple bed or even a square bed on the delta.
July 22, 2015 04:28PM
cman8
Tim, thanks for the tip. At 80 it's printing above and beyond what I thought I would be capable of. It's looking very nice and clean. I had to re calibrate everything but thankfully it was fresh in my mind and its humming. Do the motors get hotter being a higher value?never thought that changing it from 76 to 80 would make that much of a difference.

On a side note, does everyone here vacuum seal their filaments? I live in Utah and its not very humid, so was just curios what the rule of thumb is if any.

Pla needs to be kept out of humidity, it will cause issues on printing otherwise. I believe abs is fine without, but i keep my stuff in a rubbermaid tote with a ton of dessicant lining the bottom. I have not had an issue with any of the abs stuff.
July 22, 2015 06:24PM
thevisad
cman8

Nah, the bed that comes with this unit is actually a really good unit. It heats fast, is stable and pretty darned flat. I have seen people use the hex purple bed or even a square bed on the delta.

Do you think hving my bed scratched up from when I was trying to learn how to tune it will affect any of my prints? Hast yet just was curious.
July 22, 2015 07:29PM
cman8
thevisad
cman8

Do you think hving my bed scratched up from when I was trying to learn how to tune it will affect any of my prints? Hast yet just was curious.

I saw those pics you had posted and while deep, I think you can avoid problems by place Kapton Tape from ebay on it as long as there are no curls on the edges. You can replace your bed with a Geeetech Hotbed, a MK3 Hotbed or a Hexagon Purple Reprap hotbed. Without the aluminum plate on the bed, you will need a borosilicate glass plate as well. I used a mirror from Hobby Lobby right ontop of the aluminum plate that was 3 mm thick. It sits perfectly inside the ring of mounting screws (180mm in diameter), heats up nicely and evenly, is flat and stuff sticks to it nicely. Without the plate the bed will heat rapidly, in just a few minutes (Geeetech says 4). The aluminum bed with mine and the glass plate take 10 minutes to hit 110.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2015 07:32PM by thevisad.
July 23, 2015 03:08AM
Thats funny. Mine heats up to 100 rather quickly, like 4 or 5 minutes I would say. Or maybe im just imagining things. Ill time next time.
July 23, 2015 11:27AM
cman8
thevisad
cman8

nah scratches dont matter, big gouges will a little bit. flatness is the important bit
July 23, 2015 01:13PM
Got it dialed in and printing like mad. JUst made some fan founts to cool down my motors just waiting on the 3 fans. Im assuming I could tie all fans into the same 1 and 9 pins that are on the PS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2015 01:18PM by cman8.
July 23, 2015 01:17PM
Does anyone have any tips for tightening the recessed nylock nut holding the rods on the carriage? There's a little slop on one of mine
July 23, 2015 01:26PM
Rattfink
Does anyone have any tips for tightening the recessed nylock nut holding the rods on the carriage? There's a little slop on one of mine

I used a very small screwdriver that I wedged between the nut and the plastic and then an allenwrench at the other end of the bolt.
July 23, 2015 11:28PM
Can anyone whom uses the lcd tell me how to print from sd card. I can't get mine to print no matter what I've tried.
July 24, 2015 12:02AM
Koenig
I used a very small screwdriver that I wedged between the nut and the plastic and then an allenwrench at the other end of the bolt.

Worked GREAT! thanks much!!
July 25, 2015 04:05AM
Hey guys Im new to the forum so Hello,
So I got my kit the other day and have build it but Im having a few issues.
How do you connect the thermistors (hot end/heat bed) to the ramps? I know by 2 pin connector but I was told that they no longer give pins out, only 2 red/black wire pigtail ones. So do I solder them to the pigtails? But then I can not hook up the z-probe, as I only have 2 connectors.
Instructions are confusing as it shows it as you just plugging them in.

Also isn't the Ramps board suppose to have pins for the 20 04 LCD/sd? Seems I'm missing the 20 part.

Another thing when I try to calibrate the actual Z height, it will not get close enough to the bed, stops about maybe 10mm above heat bed.

I know its quiet a few questions...
July 25, 2015 10:33AM
EdwinCal
How do you connect the thermistors (hot end/heat bed) to the ramps? I know by 2 pin connector but I was told that they no longer give pins out, only 2 red/black wire pigtail ones. So do I solder them to the pigtails? But then I can not hook up the z-probe, as I only have 2 connectors.

Also isn't the Ramps board suppose to have pins for the 20 04 LCD/sd? Seems I'm missing the 20 part.

Another thing when I try to calibrate the actual Z height, it will not get close enough to the bed, stops about maybe 10mm above heat bed.

This site pretty much sums it up on the wiring. Look it over and it will point you in the right direction. The LCD needs a board that you get when you buy your LCD panel, like this one from eBay. If you did not get it, then contact the place you bought your panel from. Look at picture 2, that's what it will look like and picture 3 shows it mounted on the Ramps.

Last and not least, you built it wrong, you need to lower the rails on the arms by at least 10mm and more likely more then that. Measure from the trip of the hotend to your bed, it should be roughly 250mm give or take 6 or so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2015 10:35AM by thevisad.
July 25, 2015 12:27PM
cman8
Can anyone whom uses the lcd tell me how to print from sd card. I can't get mine to print no matter what I've tried.

Click for the menu. Scroll to 'Print from SD', click to select. Scroll to the file you want to print, click to select. The printer should home, heat, and print at this point. If not, verify that the temps it is trying to hit are rational . . . it won't start until both extruder and bed are up to temp.

- Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2015 12:28PM by tadawson.
July 25, 2015 02:28PM
tadawson
cman8

Click for the menu. Scroll to 'Print from SD', click to select. Scroll to the file you want to print, click to select. The printer should home, heat, and print at this point. If not, verify that the temps it is trying to hit are rational . . . it won't start until both extruder and bed are up to temp.

- Tim

Tim. Everything works as should but when it comes time to print, the nozzle comes down as it's written in my g code but never starts to print. I'm starting to think this lad doesn't actually work as my conversations with folgertech and reading here don't seem to look very promising. I really would like to just print form the lcd but looks like I might just be hooking up and old computer to print from.
July 25, 2015 04:30PM
What do the temps show when that happens?

And I forget . . . are you still on the Folger firmware, or did you update?

- Tim
July 25, 2015 04:59PM
cman8
tadawson
cman8

- Tim

Tim. Everything works as should but when it comes time to print, the nozzle comes down as it's written in my g code but never starts to print. I'm starting to think this lad doesn't actually work as my conversations with folgertech and reading here don't seem to look very promising. I really would like to just print form the lcd but looks like I might just be hooking up and old computer to print from.

If I remember correctly, the printer will do this and wait there until temps are stable. If you look at the feedback in the software, it should give you a feedback about how hot the end is, the bed is and the last item is a number. This will count down from 9 when it's ready to print. If you have your bed or hot end too high and it can't reach that, it will just sit there trying to get to temp.
July 25, 2015 08:05PM
I'm having an issue with x/y axis shift. All my prints end up shifting towards the "front" of the print, in pronterface the equivalent of equal amounts of -x & -y. My rails operate smoothly, although the rear rail does take a little extra force. I've tried turning up & down the stepper driver for the rear tower. Slowing the print down drastically seems to help, but even that isn't 100%. The belts are tight and not skipping. Any thoughts? In general, what speed settings are people using in slic3r? I'm about to pull my hair out here. Should I just order some beefy stepper motors?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
July 25, 2015 09:40PM
wrangellboy
I'm having an issue with x/y axis shift. All my prints end up shifting towards the "front" of the print, in pronterface the equivalent of equal amounts of -x & -y. My rails operate smoothly, although the rear rail does take a little extra force. I've tried turning up & down the stepper driver for the rear tower. Slowing the print down drastically seems to help, but even that isn't 100%. The belts are tight and not skipping. Any thoughts? In general, what speed settings are people using in slic3r? I'm about to pull my hair out here. Should I just order some beefy stepper motors?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

What do you mean by shifting?
July 25, 2015 10:31PM
thevisad
EdwinCal

This site pretty much sums it up on the wiring. Look it over and it will point you in the right direction. The LCD needs a board that you get when you buy your LCD panel, like this one from eBay. If you did not get it, then contact the place you bought your panel from. Look at picture 2, that's what it will look like and picture 3 shows it mounted on the Ramps.

Last and not least, you built it wrong, you need to lower the rails on the arms by at least 10mm and more likely more then that. Measure from the trip of the hotend to your bed, it should be roughly 250mm give or take 6 or so.

Thanks for the site, it made the wiring more clear. But still I need another x2 2 pin connectors to hook the thermistors up.

I took your advice and moved my rails down about 15mm. Seems like it did the trick. Now its time to tune it and lube up the rails so they slide a little easier.
As for the lcd display, I will be sending Folger Tech and email. Hopefully get an exchange on it quick.

Btw does anyone know where to get the 2 pin connectos? Would preffer local, searched online but can only find empty connectors.
July 25, 2015 10:55PM
Shifting probably isn't the right term. Basically everything starts printing offset by a couple mm, the offset is always directly away from the rear tower. I can achieve a similar offset by entering matching -x/-y in pronterface (ie g1 x-1 y-1). It seems like it has to be the stepper missing steps, but I don't know what to do about it. I've triple checked the belts, they're good. I switched out the stepper driver, no change. Upped the ref voltage on the stepper driver, no change. The only way I can avoid it is to slow the print speed way down, and that will get me a good part some times but not all...

I attached some of the cubes I've printed today.
Attachments:
open | download - WP_20150725_20_49_27_Pro.jpg (403 KB)
July 25, 2015 11:16PM
wrangellboy
Shifting probably isn't the right term. Basically everything starts printing offset by a couple mm, the offset is always directly away from the rear tower. I can achieve a similar offset by entering matching -x/-y in pronterface (ie g1 x-1 y-1). It seems like it has to be the stepper missing steps, but I don't know what to do about it. I've triple checked the belts, they're good. I switched out the stepper driver, no change. Upped the ref voltage on the stepper driver, no change. The only way I can avoid it is to slow the print speed way down, and that will get me a good part some times but not all...

I attached some of the cubes I've printed today.

I think you hit it on the nose, shifting pretty much explains it after looking at those. You indicated your belts are tight, do they go "twang!!!!" when you strum them? Those look like they are skipping or maybe your pulleys are loose and the pulley is slipping a bit. That would explain slowing down correcting it, if it is the pulleys being loose.
July 25, 2015 11:25PM
I have been taking a bunch of pictures during my upgrades, so these are some things to watch out for!

Bearings missing from the bearing block

bearing NOT missing from the bearing block, space should be equal to less then ONE bearing

comparison of bearing missing vs not missing in the same block

July 25, 2015 11:28PM
Thanks for the reply. I'll keep trying to figure out what's wrong with that corner.

On an unrelated note, I tried to use your updated version of marlin and was unable to get the z axis to zero out. Like another poster the closest I could get it even with negative z values was about 10mm above the bed. Running the folgertech firmware everything works just fine, all my other measurements check out as far as the build. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login