Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level

Posted by Kasahabo 
Re: Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level
February 20, 2016 07:03AM
I had been playing width and extrusion multipliers at the time, trying to work out a first layer issue. I had gone to far.

These are my current PLA settings.

There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1
February 20, 2016 07:04AM
This might help you...

REPRAP 101: CALIBRATING YOUR EXTRUDER

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2016 07:06AM by EvilBetty.

February 20, 2016 09:05AM
Thanks EvilBetty, it's much appreciated. before I can calibratre the extruder, I need to make sure that the gear is catching it and feeding it through.

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
February 20, 2016 09:51AM
EvilBetty
This might help you...

Watching that video, he says that his ESteps are 900 by default, mine is 370. Now I know that just because his is 900 doesn't mean mine will be there, but 370 does seem very low. I would do a lot more testing, but this extruder gear will just not grip on the filament. It just grinds it up. I'll try to reposition it again, but I'm also going to buy a new gear.

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
February 20, 2016 03:36PM
If you remove the PTFE tube from your extruder, does it feed fine then?

If so, your either having problem loading your filament into the extruder (it's finicky), or not running a high enough temp for your PLA / ABS.

To load it. Heat the extruder up to printing temp and remove the PTFE tube from the extruder. Run out or trim down to about 2" hanging out of the the end of the tube. (You want a nice clean section).

Feed the filament into the extruder, may have to bob it up and down and try different angles before it suddenly feeds in completely. Then press the PTFE tube into the compression fitting.

Use the manual Extrude 10 button until you have a consistent flow. Then press manual Extrude -1 a couple times.

My Inland PLA likes it toward the upper end of the labeled temp range. I don't know if this is because of the filament, or errata between my temperature readings.

-EB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2016 03:37PM by EvilBetty.

February 20, 2016 03:40PM
Captain_Tim
EvilBetty
This might help you...

Watching that video, he says that his ESteps are 900 by default, mine is 370. Now I know that just because his is 900 doesn't mean mine will be there, but 370 does seem very low. I would do a lot more testing, but this extruder gear will just not grip on the filament. It just grinds it up. I'll try to reposition it again, but I'm also going to buy a new gear.

What units are those in? 125 steps/mm was right for me (250 now that I switched DRV8825 drivers). 370 is just going to grind your filament to dust
February 20, 2016 03:42PM
spiffcow
Captain_Tim
EvilBetty
This might help you...

What units are those in? 125 steps/mm was right for me (250 now that I switched DRV8825 drivers). 370 is just going to grind your filament to dust

I didn't use any of his values. For me, the stock values were fine.

February 20, 2016 03:58PM
This manual describes GEARED extruder. FT has DIRECT extruder with default 100 steps per mm. Anyway you must calibrate your steps. Disconnect teflon tube, mark the filament using marker (near the extruder out hole) and run let's say 100 mm of filament (probably you will need to enable cold extrusion feature). Adjust your steps to have exactly 100mm. Then assemble everything and start fine-tuning your filament. Set extrusion width in your slicer manually, 0.5mm for example and print the cube at 30-40mm/s in vase mode. Measure the wall width. It must be 0.5mm. If not - calculate extrusion multiplier for your slicer and set the value.

Captain_Tim
EvilBetty
This might help you...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2016 03:59PM by paul_delta.

My [www.thingiverse.com] stuff, my configuration of Repetier 0.92.6: [forums.reprap.org] (use Arduino 1.6.5 to compile)
February 20, 2016 04:50PM
Extruder is now calibrated to within 0.14 of a mm, good enough for now. On to the next step!

P.S. All of your help is very appreciated.

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
February 20, 2016 04:55PM
Does anyone here have any luck getting their bed above 110 deg C?

I can get to 70 really quick. 110 after about 5-10 minutes with a room temp of about 68-70. But haven't yet been able to reach 115 deg C. I'm setup in the basement so I'm wondering if I'm fighting against my ambient room temp.

(Rel humidity about 35%)

-EB

February 20, 2016 04:58PM
EvilBetty

I can get to 70 really quick. 110 after about 5-10 minutes with a room temp of about 68-70. But haven't yet been able to reach 115 deg C. I'm setup in the basement so I'm wondering if I'm fighting against my ambient room temp.

(Rel humidity about 35%)

-EB

Mine can't get past 105.. I'm guessing the power supply is just too weak, but I'd be happy to be wrong about that.
February 20, 2016 05:05PM
I guess it's just the max. temp you can get out of this bed and 12v supply. Some people power the bed with 24V supply, but it needs some RAMPS modification or DIY power switch (solid state relay) managed from RAMPS bed pin.

EvilBetty

(Rel humidity about 35%)

-EB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2016 05:06PM by paul_delta.

My [www.thingiverse.com] stuff, my configuration of Repetier 0.92.6: [forums.reprap.org] (use Arduino 1.6.5 to compile)
February 20, 2016 05:12PM
PS: you can try to insulate the bottom of aluminum bed - with sheet of cork and aluminum foil sandwich.

February 20, 2016 05:16PM
PPS: if you need so hot bed because of ABS warping - i'd say that ambient 68F is too cold for ABS. You may try to build a wall around your printer to reduce airflow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2016 05:17PM by paul_delta.

February 20, 2016 06:17PM
When using dc42's calculator, which EEPROM setting gets modified for the "tower position angle corrections"? Is it Alpha A/B/C, Delta Radius A/B/C, or something different?

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
February 20, 2016 06:46PM
paul_delta
PPS: if you need so hot bed because of ABS warping - i'd say that ambient 68F is too cold for ABS. You may try to build a wall around your printer to reduce airflow.

Yeah I figured that. Enclosing the printer isn't really practical at the moment. If I consider that later, I'm going to build a complete raised wooden / plexi enclosure, similar to the base on a ROSTOCK MAX V2, to put the Raspberry Pi and Power supply inside of, and build 2 side and a door out of the plexi. May have to wait until next winter though. sad smiley

February 20, 2016 11:20PM
EvilBetty
paul_delta

Yeah I figured that. Enclosing the printer isn't really practical at the moment. If I consider that later, I'm going to build a complete raised wooden / plexi enclosure, similar to the base on a ROSTOCK MAX V2, to put the Raspberry Pi and Power supply inside of, and build 2 side and a door out of the plexi. May have to wait until next winter though. sad smiley

You could create a quick enclosure using some sheets of wood, or even cardboard might work. If it helps keep the heat in, any bit will help.

On DC42's calculator, is "tower angular position" the Alpha values? So 210, 330, and 90? And to add the adjustments, I subtract the suggested values from that? So a correction of -1.3 for X would be 210 - 1.3 = 208.7 as the new Alpha A value? Just want to double check as I can't seem to get it quite dialed in.

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
February 20, 2016 11:24PM
Captain_Tim
When using dc42's calculator, which EEPROM setting gets modified for the "tower position angle corrections"? Is it Alpha A/B/C, Delta Radius A/B/C, or something different?

I didn't see an offset for the angle correction, so I modified the angles of the towers. A is the 'X' offset (typically 210 degrees), B is the 'Y' offset (330 degrees), and C is 'Z' offset (90 degrees). Modify the angle value with the offset from the wizard, so for isntance an 'X' offset of 0.53 would, for my build, result in a tower A angle of 210.53 degrees.
February 20, 2016 11:26PM
Captain_Tim
On DC42's calculator, is "tower angular position" the Alpha values? So 210, 330, and 90? And to add the adjustments, I subtract the suggested values from that? So a correction of -1.3 for X would be 210 - 1.3 = 208.7 as the new Alpha A value? Just want to double check as I can't seem to get it quite dialed in.

Yes, so it will looks like this:

February 20, 2016 11:30PM
Perfect, thank you very much guys. Hopefully by the end of this weekend I'll have better prints.

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
February 20, 2016 11:35PM
I saw couple of success stories with IR heat lamps that heat the whole print. It's not enough to heat ABS only from the bottom - you will get the material contraction in higher layers that will warp bottom layers.

Captain_Tim
EvilBetty
paul_delta

You could create a quick enclosure using some sheets of wood, or even cardboard might work. If it helps keep the heat in, any bit will help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2016 11:36PM by paul_delta.

February 21, 2016 11:57AM
Printed out another calibration cube with the extruder now calibrated, ran through the calculator a few times, turned on Spiral vase mode for this print, added 0.5mm for a Z-Offset in Slic3r, and the results, in my opinion, were amazing! X and Y are about .3mm longer, Z is about .1mm to high, and the perimeters are 0.43mm, which according to the GCode, should be 0.48mm, but that's pretty darn close. Pictures below (This is the nicest print I've ever had, even on my Two Up when it was functional)

Still on the Bed
Without Flash
With Flash

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
February 21, 2016 01:33PM
Looks good. If your extrusion multiplier in slicer set to 1, try to set it to 1.16 (0.5/0.43) - you will have more accurate 0.5mm wall.
As mentioned Dc42 in private conversation about my dimensional errors - slight effector tilt may cause your X/Y error. Try to print something larger, like 100x100 cube and you will see. There is a chance that your X-Y dimensions will be still 0.3mm longer (the error will stay the same for different object sizes).

Captain_Tim
Printed out another calibration cube with the extruder now calibrated, ran through the calculator a few times, turned on Spiral vase mode for this print, added 0.5mm for a Z-Offset in Slic3r, and the results, in my opinion, were amazing! X and Y are about .3mm longer, Z is about .1mm to high, and the perimeters are 0.43mm, which according to the GCode, should be 0.48mm, but that's pretty darn close. Pictures below (This is the nicest print I've ever had, even on my Two Up when it was functional)

Still on the Bed
Without Flash
With Flash

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2016 01:35PM by paul_delta.

February 21, 2016 01:39PM
PS: probably your slicer extrusion width was set to 0.48 (default for 0.4 nozzle). In this case set your multiplier to 1.12 and print it again. It should be exactly 0.48 after that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2016 01:39PM by paul_delta.

February 21, 2016 01:49PM
Extrusion width calibration is very important if you want to get very accurate prints (especially for extra small objects). It affects horizontal adhesion and when it's off you may experience gaps between outside wall and infill.

February 22, 2016 05:22AM
I leave my printer unattended, starting prints and leaving for work and such. I can kill a print (could probably even kill heat lamps with Wink) remotely, but I don't have a cardboard / wood fire suppression system if something should go wrong, lol.

Heat lamps would also add heat to components other than the bed and print. I tried out a projection IR heater for this once. Wasn't happy with the result.

February 23, 2016 12:43AM
For those of you that have had your printer a while. What would you say is the ideal rod length?

I'm remaking a set of rods with Traxxas ends, and I don't think the 240mm rods are long enough to reach the far ends of the bed accurately. Especially if using the offset probe.

February 23, 2016 06:00AM
I did order a 290 mm rod set two weeks ago and will test them. For me the calculation was as following:
1) I have ok print quality in a 70 mm radius, good quality in 60 mm radius. But I would like to have ~ 100 mm radius.
2) My max printing height (at *full* radius) is appr. 240 mm. I dont need that, I am ok with 200 mm'ish.

So: I have ~40 mm spare in z and want the radius to be ~40 mm wider. As the rods are *nearly* parallel to the tower when at the tower and *nearly* perpendicular to the tower when positioned opposite to the tower -> +50 mm for good measure. 240 + 50 = 290.

Will keep you updated how that works out. smiling smiley
February 23, 2016 08:47PM
Over the past few days, I've been printing on my Kossel, some calibration cubes, as well as a fan shroud (Thanks Paul_Delta), and a dampening foot (I still need to print 5 more). I turned it on today, loaded a file to print into Repetier, sliced it, and hit print. The bed started to heat up, and it reached it's 60 degree mark. It went to home, and this is where something odd happened. Both the Y and Z axis go to home, but X doesn't move. If I manually move it in Repetier along the Z axis, they all move, both up and down, but selecting home, the X motor does not move. The only difference between yesterday and today is some slicer settings. Any ideas?

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
February 23, 2016 08:50PM
Captain_Tim
Over the past few days, I've been printing on my Kossel, some calibration cubes, as well as a fan shroud (Thanks Paul_Delta), and a dampening foot (I still need to print 5 more). I turned it on today, loaded a file to print into Repetier, sliced it, and hit print. The bed started to heat up, and it reached it's 60 degree mark. It went to home, and this is where something odd happened. Both the Y and Z axis go to home, but X doesn't move. If I manually move it in Repetier along the Z axis, they all move, both up and down, but selecting home, the X motor does not move. The only difference between yesterday and today is some slicer settings. Any ideas?

Did you recently switch firmwares? If so make sure to run M502 and M500 to clear the EEPROM.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login