Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My Replikeo Prusa i3 Rework Build

Posted by Trike 
Re: My Replikeo Prusa i3 Rework Build
August 23, 2014 12:42AM
gadget_greg
Mike, I've been using the zip ties that came with the kit and some similarly-sized ones from WallyWorld, 100 for $1.29! YMMV.

Bratan, IDK about the MOSFET grounding out but that z-axis stabilizer is similar but Tech2C's is a perfect fit. I printed part of that other one and it didn't line up well for whatever reason. It was easier for me to just use Tech2C's... winking smiley

I may shoot over to WallyWorld tomorrow - haha love that some people still call it that. Half the time when I say it, people are like, "Where is that?"

I think part of the problem is that they aren't consistent. Some of the ties are working just fine that came with it, while others won't grip their own teeth and immediately come undone. If I had 100, I'd just snip them off and try another one, but I'm not sure how many I need in total to go blowing through all the ones they gave me. Haha.

Pic is a perfect example. This was flush with the x-carriage and just slid right down the belt. I can't tighten it any further. Also, not sure why the bearings look like that in the pic. Must have been something with the flash.
Attachments:
open | download - stupid ties.jpg (453.9 KB)
August 23, 2014 04:44AM
Problem is not in zip ties, problem is how do you use them grinning smiley You are tightening them backward, teeth are supposed to be facing inward in "ziptie loop"
August 23, 2014 12:07PM
Allnei
Problem is not in zip ties, problem is how do you use them grinning smiley You are tightening them backward, teeth are supposed to be facing inward in "ziptie loop"

The teeth are inward. If they weren't they wouldn't grip at all.
August 23, 2014 12:12PM
LittleMike
Allnei

In your photo it does seem like you got the zipties wrong. One side of the head is flat and the other is protruding, make sure the protruding end points outward.
August 23, 2014 12:14PM
alvinhochun
LittleMike
Allnei

In your photo it does seem like you got the zipties wrong. One side of the head is flat and the other is protruding, make sure the protruding end points outward.

I think it's just the way it looks in the image. They're gripping, but on some, the teeth are "smoother" if that makes sense, so they slip.
August 23, 2014 12:18PM
LittleMike
alvinhochun
LittleMike
Allnei

I think it's just the way it looks in the image. They're gripping, but on some, the teeth are "smoother" if that makes sense, so they slip.

Then you should switch to another one. There should be many more than you need, but even if you run out of zipties just buy more. They are dirt-cheap.
August 23, 2014 12:21PM
alvinhochun
LittleMike
alvinhochun
LittleMike
Allnei

Then you should switch to another one. There should be many more than you need, but even if you run out of zipties just buy more. They are dirt-cheap.

That's why I said I was going to shoot over to the store and get more tongue sticking out smiley I counted how many I need for the rest of the build, and I have a total of 2 extra. Looks like they didn't include that many in my package.
August 23, 2014 12:25PM
At my Walmart they're $1.29, at another WM 25 miles away they were $2.99. #Bastards
August 23, 2014 12:25PM
Now that I look at your photo more clearly, it seems that you really did get all the zipties in the wrong direction... Maybe it's really the effect of the camera, but I think you really should check again or take another photo. Seriously, this is for your own good.
August 23, 2014 12:26PM
gadget_greg
At my Walmart they're $1.29, at another WM 25 miles away they were $2.99. #Bastards

Wow, really? I mean not that either would break the bank, but that's a huge difference. I thought all Walmarts were the same.
August 23, 2014 03:00PM
I am almost sure from photo, that zipties are backward grinning smiley

My X carriage

August 23, 2014 03:02PM
Allnei
I am almost sure from photo, that zipties are backward grinning smiley

My X carriage

You're missing one tongue sticking out smiley

Haha I double checked and you are right - some of them were backwards. Not sure how I managed that, but I fixed it. Still having the same issue with tension on some of them, but others are holding. I think it's just a matter of cheap ties. I'll go pick up a bunch so I don't have to worry about tossing some if they don't hold.
August 23, 2014 03:02PM
What are those 3 screws going into, by the way? Is that a step I haven't gotten to yet?
August 23, 2014 03:39PM
Those 3 screws hold the Extruder Assembly to the x-carriage.

All Walmarts are not created equal. Not only do prices for individual items vary from store to store but my informal analysis of their food prices shows that their prices aren't that great either. Roughly 50/50 for items I buy. Given that I almost never but food stuffs at WallyWorld. In fact I buy as little as possible there even though they're nearly the only game in town. #Bastards
August 23, 2014 03:43PM
gadget_greg
Those 3 screws hold the Extruder Assembly to the x-carriage.

All Walmarts are not created equal. Not only do prices for individual items vary from store to store but my informal analysis of their food prices shows that their prices aren't that great either. Roughly 50/50 for items I buy. Given that I almost never but food stuffs at WallyWorld. In fact I buy as little as possible there even though they're nearly the only game in town. #Bastards

Oh gotcha. I haven't gotten to that yet. I'm having trouble with squeezing both ends of the y-carriage belt into the holder. The two ends of the belt (the part you zip tie) keep wanting to sit side by side instead of on top of each other. I have a birthday dinner to go to shortly, so I won't have much time to tinker today, so I might just call it quits for now.

Interesting. The Walmarts by me have a lot of non-perishable foods, but no fresh groceries. The Super Walmart by my ex over in western PA stocked everything, including fresh produce. Being that it was the only one around for miles, I couldn't comparison shop, but that's interesting that it varies so much. My rule of thumb is Amazon for things I can wait for and Walmart for those I need right away. They generally are cheaper, but yeah, some items they aren't on. #Bastards is right. Haha
August 23, 2014 04:48PM
Reason why I have only 3 screws in X carriage is because my extrudes body is little warped and can´t be secured it with 4th screw
August 23, 2014 04:50PM
Allnei
Reason why I have only 3 screws in X carriage is because my extrudes body is little warped and can´t be secured it with 4th screw

Ah gotcha. I have to put this on hold for a couple of days, which makes me frustrated, but I have other things to do, unfortunately. I'll check back in later smiling smiley
August 23, 2014 11:36PM
LittleMike

That slipping is common in lower cost tie wraps even when installed in the proper end as well as stripping the teeth when they are tightened. Choosing a better quality part will solve the issue. If you don't have a good local hardware an auto parts store usually has them and lacking that Grainger has pretty good quality tie wraps you can get online. I'd avoid Walmart.
August 24, 2014 12:47AM
vegasloki
LittleMike

That slipping is common in lower cost tie wraps even when installed in the proper end as well as stripping the teeth when they are tightened. Choosing a better quality part will solve the issue. If you don't have a good local hardware an auto parts store usually has them and lacking that Grainger has pretty good quality tie wraps you can get online. I'd avoid Walmart.

Yea, that's been my experience with these cheap ones they included.

What's a good tensile strength cable tie? The local Ace carries 4 inch ties, with an 18lb tensile strength.
August 24, 2014 01:16AM
I guess I got lucky because I've had pretty good luck with both the ones included in the kit and the ones from WallyWorld...
August 24, 2014 11:33AM
Well this sucks. I got new MOSFETs desoldered bad one, replace with new one, checked everything seemed to be ok,no shorts. Assembled it back and HotEnd would not heat up, LED would not light up. So I took board off, unplugged everything but thermistor sensors and heaters, tried it again, now HE mosfet is always on, Arduino has no control over it sad smiley I guess I need to get a new RAMPs board sad smiley
August 24, 2014 12:24PM
I'm beginning to thing that the RAMPS platform is pretty fragile. My Heat Bed will no longer sustain a temp, even a low temp like 60. It heats to a point then just cuts out. I have a relay I can use and bought just for this purpose but it's triggered by 5v and the MOSFET is 12v so I need to do a little research how to hook it up... :/
August 24, 2014 04:21PM
gadget_greg
I'm beginning to thing that the RAMPS platform is pretty fragile. My Heat Bed will no longer sustain a temp, even a low temp like 60. It heats to a point then just cuts out. I have a relay I can use and bought just for this purpose but it's triggered by 5v and the MOSFET is 12v so I need to do a little research how to hook it up... :/
Well I fixed it. Problem was that I must've damaged traces when I was removing bad MOSFET, they lifted up on both sides. I fixed it by soldering short wire from R13 to MOSFET's Gate pin (1). I kind of suspect this trace might have broken before when I was bending MOSFET to fit Heatsink on it. Anyway it's no good that copper traces coming off so easily...
Good luck with Relay, it might be the way to go, let me now if you figure it out!
I also connected extruder fan to D9, but now it's not running when I'm heating up extruder sad smiley Repteier disables it for 1st layer it thinks I have fan for cooling filament and I don't see option for Extruder cooling fan...
I added custom G-code to keep fan on, hopefully it will stay on

Grerig, you mentioned you printed z-endstop holder. How did you glue it? It says Acetone for ABS, but I'm printing in PLA...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2014 04:41PM by Bratan.
August 24, 2014 05:01PM
The first one I printed was in PLA and I glued it with superglue gel, it was a poor print but good enough. The second one is in ABS and I used acetone/ABS 'glue'.
August 24, 2014 09:52PM
Thanks I'll give it a go with superglue! smiling smiley

Guys I has another issue with printer, which I kind of expected to happen since day 1. Those little m5 nuts that basically hold whole X assembly moving on the z axes along M5 threaded rods, are finally falling off. There's not much to hold them other than plastic fitting which get's loose with time. Is there a better design for this that anyone know of?
August 24, 2014 10:00PM
Do you mean the x-motor mount and x-idler? My x-idler nut broke out and I had to glue it. It's holding for now but I had already printed a new x-idler with an x-belt tensioner built in. I haven't installed it yet though. I have just a few more pieces to print before I do my rebuild then this stupid MOSFET-heat bed problem cropped up. :/
August 24, 2014 10:02PM
Bratan
Guys I has another issue with printer, which I kind of expected to happen since day 1. Those little m5 nuts that basically hold whole X assembly moving on the z axes along M5 threaded rods, are finally falling off. There's not much to hold them other than plastic fitting which get's loose with time. Is there a better design for this that anyone know of?

Falling off which part? I assume you didn't mount the x-axis assembly upside down, did you?
August 24, 2014 10:32PM
M5 can´t fall off X assembly. Weight of assembly is enough to hold them securely in place even if you lubricate them to be easily removed as "failsafe mechanism".

As alvinhochun said, you probably have X assembly upside down, which is weird because here [forums.reprap.org] you have it mounted correctly

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2014 10:36PM by Allnei.
August 24, 2014 11:16PM
Yes I mean X-motor mount and idler. They are not upside down, but sometimes hotend pushes on the bed, and nuts coming off. This happened few times already so they are not holding strongly. I'll try superglue, but this is quite obviously a flaw in the design...
I've been thinking on improving it, but so far got nothing. Putting nuts inside in the slot would solve falling out issue, but it would be hard to prevent nut from rotating... Gotta think about it smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2014 11:22PM by Bratan.
August 24, 2014 11:21PM
Bratan
Yes I mean X-motor mount and idler. They are not upside down, but sometimes hotend pushes on the bed, and nuts coming off. This happened few times already so they are not holding strongly. I'll try superglue, but this is quite obviously a flaw in the design...

If your hotend pushes into the bed, then that's something you really should worry about instead, because it can damage the hotend or the print surface, or both. You should adjust the z endstop.

In my opinion, it's good that the nuts actually come off, since it can reduce the chance of the hotend pushing into the print surface too hard and damaging them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2014 11:26PM by alvinhochun.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login