My Replikeo Prusa i3 Rework Build

Posted by Trike 
Re: My Replikeo Prusa i3 Rework Build
July 18, 2014 01:39AM
This could be helpful to some of you. smiling smiley

[reprap.org]
July 18, 2014 01:36PM
Modified my accel rates in slicer. No more banging around on the small infill. Runs much smoother! Almost through the first spool of abs now smiling smiley
July 22, 2014 05:16AM
Anyone has tried autobed leveling for replikeo?

John
July 22, 2014 11:16AM
Yes

Use this holder [www.thingiverse.com] + some cheap servo

Buy new or extend Z endstop microswitch and use guide from [github.com]

Also use auto bed leveling only with Marlin + try this [3dprintboard.com]
July 22, 2014 12:29PM
Which one is the best auto leveling installation?
July 22, 2014 01:00PM
I may try setting up auto-leveling soon, thanks for the tips!

I've eliminated most of the backlash in my x-axis due to a loose belt. I still need to build the x-idler_holder (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:247992) but I need to modify the part first because I'm lacking a 624 bearing and who knows when mine will get here from China, could be tomorrow, could be two weeks. Once that's complete I can fine-tune the belt tension to eliminate the rest of the (adjustable) backlash in that axis.

Has anyone explored adjusting for hysteresis in software? Ala [www.soliforum.com]

Also, does anyone have a good source for cheap metric screws/bolts and springs? smiling smiley

Greg
July 22, 2014 01:21PM
Hi Allnei,

Thank you for the information, i will try the autobed leveling.

Last night, I printed 3 hours object (2 pcs spool holder), its finished smooth but after that the arduino is not working. Luckily i still have one arduino spare.
Anyone know what is the problem ? if its going to damage but why its finish the job.

I start mid night and leave it until finish 3 am, im using timer to switch off the power, because i dont want to wait.

I analyzed the problem, if it is over heating problem but why after finish the job, its weird.

the problem is, LED is light up, i still able to send the firmware using arduino IDE. but if RAMP is on (powered by printer powersupply), Computer cannot detect the board.

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2014 01:25PM by flyrobot.
July 22, 2014 01:48PM
I was building the X carriage with the built in servo mount last night. I recommend staying away from those super cheap clear blue servos. Ive been in RC heavily for the last 20 years, and have had nothing but issues with those either breaking gears or chattering to the point of being useless. I spend about $1.50 more for metal gear ball bearing servos that stay put where you tell them to go.
Attachments:
open | download - owl.jpg (130.6 KB)
July 22, 2014 11:26PM
Do you have a preferred make/model for servos? All I have is one cheapo one that came with my first arduino kit...
July 23, 2014 11:00AM
Bratan
Hehe no problem! smiling smiley Did you print it out of PLA? BTW your printer looks really neat! I found cable organizer that came with Replikeo kit is too short, but Radioshack sells really long one for just $7!
Did you have enough wire on your X endstop? Mine is a bit too short and sometimes catches on the heatbed when it moves sad smiley I think I'll extend it.
I print it with PLA. I spent many time to organize cables, I was fed up with cables that came into end stop switches ! But I do not have to extend cable, just organize it !
July 23, 2014 04:49PM
These are good low level servos[www.hobbyking.com]
There are others, I use the turnigy mg90s, but overkill for this. If you order, make sure you select us, otherwise its 2 weeks.
July 23, 2014 05:05PM
I've been thinking about auto-leveling but I worry about adding extra weight to the hotend assembly. This extra mass would create additional inertia during head movements. Has anyone experienced any issues after adding auto-leveling parts?
Also a question about mounting PSU. Did anyone mount PSU that came with Replikeo kit to the frame? If so would you mind sharing how you did it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2014 05:11PM by Bratan.
July 23, 2014 05:54PM
Thanks for the ref on the servo.

@Bratan I haven't mounted it to the frame but I'm contemplating mounting it all to a 18" x 24" piece of plywood, probably with rubber feet or cork to help dampen vibrations.
July 23, 2014 05:59PM
So I've finally gotten my hardware and software tweaked to the point that I'm getting pretty high-quality prints! I'm psyched!

On the left is 0.2mm layering and 0.3mm on the right.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_8810_smaller.jpg (231.9 KB)
July 24, 2014 11:21AM
As far as the power supply, I simply made a plastic "cap" over the end with the terminal block, installed a push button on/off in it. Then i put rubber stick on feet on the edge of it. The fan blows on my Ramps board. Works like a champ. As far as weight goes adding a servo, it's only a couple grams. Probably saved more weight switching to 1.75mm filament.

BTW what a pleasure switching to the 1.75mm. Much easier to deal with. I'm getting pretty good prints now, going to try kisslicer next. Supposed to help a lot with print quality. I ended up breaking a corner off my bed frame, don't think plexi was the best choice for this part, even the heat from the hot bed is affecting it.
July 24, 2014 12:41PM
I've still got about 40-50% of a spool of PLA and about 75% of my ABS left but now that I've got the settings tweaked to the point that I'm getting good prints I expect I'll start burning through filament pretty quickly. I'm trying to decide if I want to buy more ABS or PLA. I like the texture and look of the ABS but PLA is easier to work with because of the lower temperatures. I've had some trouble with corners pulling up with ABS, brims help but have you ever trimmed the brim off of a large extruder gear? LOL!

PS, once I got my x-axis tight and my slic3r setting tweaked my infills are MUCH better, with few if any gaps like I had before.
July 24, 2014 02:10PM
Yes I have ! Yesterday in fact, modified a large gear to work better with my new hobbed bolt. I get certain spots of my heatbed that lift more than others, i don't think the heat is very even on the glass. I wonder if there is some kind of thermal sheet like heat sink compound that would even it out more.
July 24, 2014 02:35PM
Yeah, I have spots that are more prone to pull-up too. Let me know if you find a solution. smiling smiley

I'm printing an extruder body right now, my biggest print job to date. I've already printed the gears. [www.thingiverse.com]
July 24, 2014 04:18PM
I just printed the LCD enclosure. Fits absolutely awesome.
[www.thingiverse.com]
July 24, 2014 09:09PM
Nice! I'm going to print up this one I think but right now my ribbon cables are a little short... [www.thingiverse.com]
July 24, 2014 09:11PM
BTW, 5:49 on the extruder body. It came out excellent except a few overhanging spots. Apparently either the supports were inadequate or I have to calibrate better for overhangs...
July 25, 2014 07:49PM
So I put a call in to our local rubber supplier. He has some special thermally conductive rubber sheet. Comes in different thicknesses, I'll probably run over there Monday. What I'm seeing is some air gaps between the glass and heat bed. I'm going to try and borrow a flir camera and see if it helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2014 07:50PM by underthetire.
July 26, 2014 12:16AM
Interesting. How thick is this sheet?
Definitely let know what shakes out!
And post (flir) pics... winking smiley
July 26, 2014 12:20PM
They have .007, .015, .030 in stock, thicker is available. I'm thinking a .015 would work, maybe .030. I'll have to take a picture of the flir, it a very early model if I can even borrow it, but I'm going to try.
July 28, 2014 05:59PM
Greg, did you ever get your fan sorted out? I'm having the same issue I noticed. The fan will stop once in a while, but runs 99% of the time. Its almost like slicer is inverting the on/off commands.
July 28, 2014 06:22PM
With my original RAMPS setup (that came with the kit) I soldered a header on and plugged the fan into that as someone here suggested, but then the fan ran all the time. Turns out that the header I soldered on was a 12v auxiliary, always on. My new RAMPS (after I shorted something on the first one) those holes were filled in with solder and I didn't feel like monkeying with it so I hooked the fan up to D9 as others suggested. Now the fan goes on and off on its own but the fan itself is pointed at the cold-end and I think the D9 is maybe supposed to be for a fan pointed at the printed piece? I'm not sure. So yeah, it's WORKING but I'm not sure what it's DOING! LOL
July 29, 2014 10:34AM
Look at the picture from the reprap wiki: [reprap.org]
July 29, 2014 10:50AM
I saw the picture before, thats not the issue. The issue is D9 for the parts fan. I have to look and see whats going on in marlin. I can command it on, it just never seems to shut off.
July 29, 2014 12:54PM
If you dont want solder it and donĀ“t want it in D9, then connect it as Electronics fan in power connector.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2014 12:54PM by Allnei.
July 29, 2014 05:57PM
I'm waiting on some switches to arrive from china, then I'm going to wire the extruder fan directly to the power supply and switch it manually. Maybe print fans too.

@esponda THAT'S the spot where I soldered the header on my first RAMPS for the extruder fan. On my new RAMPS the holes are filled in with solder already but nothing is attached. :/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login