Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My Replikeo Prusa i3 Rework Build

Posted by Trike 
Re: My Replikeo Prusa i3 Rework Build
June 25, 2014 11:19AM
Bratan
I also might have issue with extruder part. I used only one screw with spring and filament pushed to the side and broke small piece of plastic that was guiding filament. It's probably not a big deal, but I wanted to ask, do you guys tighten extruder screws as tight as possible or it doesn't matter?

I had the same thing happen with my extruder, one of the guides broke off and got wedged in the joint below. That's when my prints REALLY went to hell. I was able to take it apart and glue it (acetone) and I added another washer to get the hobbed bolt aligned better. I also had to add a second spring to one side of the filament tensioner, but just one side. Weird.

Two more days and I should be able to move the printer into my new shop. smiling smiley
June 25, 2014 03:03PM
Don´t use only one screw, because pressure on the filament is bad. Also don´t tighten iddler screws too much, because they will push motor on other side (they can go through). Bratan if you ask about tightening extruder screws (4 screws that hold X carriage and extruder) they must be tight, if not, your prints will not be good.
June 26, 2014 11:33AM
Allnei
Don´t use only one screw, because pressure on the filament is bad. Also don´t tighten iddler screws too much, because they will push motor on other side (they can go through). Bratan if you ask about tightening extruder screws (4 screws that hold X carriage and extruder) they must be tight, if not, your prints will not be good.
Thanks! Yeah I was talking about idler. I added second screw and cut it so it doesn't push out motor.
Also I reset all my settings back to when I was able to print something, but unfortunately something is completely screwed up, it's now printing with dots instead of lines, and I don't know why sad smiley
I'm attaching image of latest print...

EDIT: Found solution well kind of smiling smiley
It was extrusion steps per mm settings in firmware. I measured how much filament get's moved when I extrude 30mm and it was only 15. So I kept raising it (with M92 Exxx command) until about 700 (from default 629) and it seems to do it. I never did get 30mm no matter how high I raised the number tho, but I got pretty close and now at least it's printing something smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2014 01:06PM by Bratan.
Attachments:
open | download - 20140626_122334.jpg (88.3 KB)
June 26, 2014 01:35PM
What acceleration did you set? IMHO too fast movement, or too slow extrusion
June 26, 2014 02:29PM
Allnei
What acceleration did you set? IMHO too fast movement, or too slow extrusion
I used all default settings for speed.
It has to be extrusion. I just finished printing 50mm tower (it took over an hour) but it came out perfect! I can see that it's laying a slightly thicker lines than before, but they are so much more sturdier... I'll probably reduce extruder steps slightly. Printing Spool mount now smiling smiley
June 26, 2014 04:57PM
What spool holder are you printing? I was thinking about this one [www.thingiverse.com] or this style [www.thingiverse.com]
June 26, 2014 05:18PM
Allnei
What spool holder are you printing? I was thinking about this one [www.thingiverse.com] or this style [www.thingiverse.com]
I'm making this one.
Already printed two spool mounts, they came out great! Now printing plate mounts and having worst luck with it. I mentioned earlier that one of the extruder idler's "ears" got broken off, well sometimes filament slides off to the right and get's stuck so I had to restart twice, I'm trying to keep it on the left side. Then one part was lifting off the bed. Then spool reel fell down and pulled X-axes cable with it, lol. But I'll finish printing it no matter what smiling smiley
Video

P.S. Plate mounts are designed for 6mm frame, if you have iron, it's 3 mm. I just realized this sad smiley I'll just add some padding or tape to hold it from sliding too much

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2014 05:48PM by Bratan.
Attachments:
open | download - spool1.jpg (58.8 KB)
June 26, 2014 09:46PM
Hi, anyone else ordered the kit this month? I ordered mine on July 14, received my tracking number on July 19, but still showing traveling (from China to China !). And replikeo is not answering my e-mails u.u
June 26, 2014 09:51PM
They're usually pretty fast to reply to email. Is there a holiday perhaps?
June 26, 2014 09:52PM
esponda
Hi, anyone else ordered the kit this month? I ordered mine on July 14, received my tracking number on July 19, but still showing traveling (from China to China !). And replikeo is not answering my e-mails u.u
Did u order with DHL shipping? On mine tracking never really updated but I still got package about a week later.
June 26, 2014 10:21PM
Ok guys, I'm a bit puzzled by something. Unless I send "M92 E710" command manually to printer (if it was reset or lost power) extruder will not extrude enough material to print anything useful. With this "magic" command everything works great. I'm a bit confused because I already set Extruder steps to 710 in Firmware. It seems to ignore it completely, or maybe this command does something else? Anyway I've added it to the G-Code in my Slic3r settings to automate this process. Weird.

P.S. Just finished printing Extruder idler (50 minutes), came out pretty nice, I just hope PLA will be able to hold filament well enough. Immediately see weakness in the part that broke off. 3-4mm wall should be added on either side of the "guide", just before screw holes. I'll try to modify it once I learn how to import STL into Sketchup smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2014 11:10PM by Bratan.
Attachments:
open | download - extruder_idler.jpg (88.1 KB)
June 26, 2014 11:11PM
Yes I ordered via DHL. Still not received an answer from them :/
June 27, 2014 12:27AM
@Bratan yes, that is very strange! When I set PronterFace to extrude, say 5mm, I get a superfine filament that curls all around and must be more like 20mm. It's really weird.

Your idler looks good! I had the exact same thing happen to me but I found the part that broke off and was able to 'glue' it back on with acetone.

I'm seriously thinking of trying a different extruder setup, maybe a Greg's Wade Extruder or maybe even a direct drive extruder. Those Bowden's Extruders look pretty cool too and they take the weight of the motor off of the z-axis.

Anyway, I just made one of these. It took a little dremelling to get the bearing to fit but it works nicely. I'm printing the second one now... [www.shapedo.com]
June 27, 2014 08:02AM
Greg's Wade Extruder is extruder, that you have now smiling smiley
June 27, 2014 10:10AM
gadget_greg
@Bratan yes, that is very strange! When I set PronterFace to extrude, say 5mm, I get a superfine filament that curls all around and must be more like 20mm. It's really weird.
It's measuring intake filament not outtake smiling smiley If you mark 5mm of filament (i.e. from top of the extruder) and extrude 5mm, filament should move exactly 5mm (i.e. your market will be at the level with top of the extruder). Do not measure what actually comes out...
BTW are there any advantages of using 1.5mm filament vs 3mm? I think thinner should be easier to thread, 3mm is just so inflexible...

gadget_greg

Anyway, I just made one of these. It took a little dremelling to get the bearing to fit but it works nicely. I'm printing the second one now... [www.shapedo.com]
Wow, dude that's exactly what I was looking for! My spools opening is about 38.5mm and I was trying to adapt 30mm model I found on Thingivers.
Are you going to make something to attach it to the Prusa's frame?

Question to all: How did you wire your extruder cooler fan? I soldered it directly to Ramps aux board (as instructed) but now I'm having second thoughts. Has anyone connected it to the fan terminals (near heatbed terminals)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 10:53AM by Bratan.
June 27, 2014 11:10AM
I have it soldered too. But this way you can´t control it, if you plug it in D9, then you can start/stop fan from arduino
June 27, 2014 11:16AM
Allnei
I have it soldered too. But this way you can´t control it, if you plug it in D9, then you can start/stop fan from arduino
Yes! It's noisy as hell and vibrates like crazy... I thinking of designing a mount for larger fan (80mm or bigger) which should be much quieter...
June 27, 2014 12:00PM
If it is noisy and vibrate, check if your fan is Ok. I hit mine with tweezers and I lost 2 blades. After that fan started vibrating pretty hard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 12:01PM by Allnei.
June 27, 2014 01:05PM
Bratan
It's measuring intake filament not outtake smiling smiley If you mark 5mm of filament (i.e. from top of the extruder) and extrude 5mm, filament should move exactly 5mm (i.e. your market will be at the level with top of the extruder). Do not measure what actually comes out...
BTW are there any advantages of using 1.5mm filament vs 3mm? I think thinner should be easier to thread, 3mm is just so inflexible...

Wow, dude that's exactly what I was looking for! My spools opening is about 38.5mm and I was trying to adapt 30mm model I found on Thingivers.
Are you going to make something to attach it to the Prusa's frame?

Question to all: How did you wire your extruder cooler fan? I soldered it directly to Ramps aux board (as instructed) but now I'm having second thoughts. Has anyone connected it to the fan terminals (near heatbed terminals)?

I was wondering if that's where you measure it. I tried 100mm and I got a bird's nest! lol

I DID print a couple of mounts but I won't need them after tomorrow when I move my printer into my new shop! smiling smiley
I made mounts similar to this (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:299867/) but I had to modify them to fit the steel frame, they were also kind of thin.

I never read that you should solder the extruder fan?!? I have mine plugged into the board. D9 sounds about right. Later on I may hard wire it and add a switch but for now it's good where it is. It *IS* noisy but what can you do?

I thought the regular Wade's is what we have, where the large gear wheel's diameter is parallel to the y-axis. The Greg's Wade Extruder looks more compact and there seems to be a lot more add-ons for the Greg's Wade. The Greg's has the diameter of the gears parallel to the x-axis. [www.thingiverse.com]
June 27, 2014 01:12PM
gadget_greg

I was wondering if that's where you measure it. I tried 100mm and I got a bird's nest! lol
LOL, yeah I can imagine smiling smiley
The way I did it is measured 100mm before extruder and marked with marker. Then extruded 30mm at 50mm/s and measured distance from mark to the extruder. Ideally it should be 20mm (100-30) but best I could get was 22mm, which is fine. Layers are a little thick but prints come out nice IMHO. I also had to raise bed temp to 65C to prevent it from coming up, especially for long thin parts.
Good luck with your workshop, post some pics! smiling smiley
June 27, 2014 03:11PM
I've been spraying the glass with a light coat of Aquanet Super Extra Hold @ 60°C and I have had great adhesion. I'll do the extrusion calibration tonight when I get home, thanks for the tip! The last one graduates High School tonight...
June 27, 2014 09:43PM
gadget_greg
I've been spraying the glass with a light coat of Aquanet Super Extra Hold @ 60°C and I have had great adhesion. I'll do the extrusion calibration tonight when I get home, thanks for the tip! The last one graduates High School tonight...
Do you wipe glass or respray after each print? What about ABS, would harispray work for it too?
June 27, 2014 10:43PM
If I only do a small piece I'll just touch it up. If I print something bigger I'll take it off and clean it and respray it. I have two pieces of glass so it's pretty easy to just swap 'em out. I'm just using regular window glass, not borosilicate. I would imagine that it would help for ABS too but I haven't tried printing with ABS yet. Also, if you touch-up spray in-place, use a paper towel to keep the over-spray off your rails and such.

Any idea of what kind of lubricant to use on the rails by the way?
June 27, 2014 10:59PM
The Replikeo is a Rework variant and as such uses a Greg's Wade's Rework which is basically a Greg's Wade's turned 90* to allow for more X travel. One difference between a Greg's and a Wade is the Greg's is a hinged idler. The Wade used four screws to hold the idler. The orientation of the motor and the relationship of the gears is different as well.

Original Wade's
[reprap.org]

Use of the mosfet terminal (for example D9) will allow your firmware to use auto cooling. For some prints, particularly in PLA you may not want to run the fan all the time or at full speed when they are on.
June 28, 2014 03:02AM
Thanks for all that! I'm printing with PLA, my fan is on D9, and it is running non-stop.

Also, I did an extrusion test and no matter how high I seem to set the steps-per-mm I'm still getting between 73mm and 82mm when I call for 100mm. I must be missing something.
June 28, 2014 02:25PM
esponda
Yes I ordered via DHL. Still not received an answer from them :/

I ordered on the 26th as well. They never responded directly to me via email, but did within seconds on Facebook. Pretty sure it was the weekend there, so I can't blame them. After reading all this forum, I can't wait.
June 28, 2014 02:34PM
Man, i can see 1 issue I'm going to have. I'm used to industry standard gcode, I can see quite a few that don't look like they do the same functions as they would on machine tools.
June 28, 2014 07:12PM
gadget_greg
Any idea of what kind of lubricant to use on the rails by the way?

I use Lithium White Grease because a lot of people recommended it for 3D printer. But it turns nasty black after some time time tho, there must be something better...
Was meaning to ask about this spool holder. Just out of curiosity did yours print with "filled plane" in the 2 spaces where it was supposed to be empty. I think Slic3r did it either by mistake or for extra support. Did it happen on yours too?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2014 07:15PM by Bratan.
June 28, 2014 10:02PM
For lubrication: [www.reprap.org]

I've been using a silicone lube or Duralube. The silicone is more of a penetrating-type lube, whereas the Duralube is more of a PTFE-type lube.

I'm not sure where you're talking about on the spool holder but there was a light layer printed adjacent to the bearing, creating a barrier between the bearing and where the shaft runs. I just cut it away. I also had to trim with my dremel to get the bearing to fit properly. It works get though!

Did you have any luck getting your extrusion right? I'm getting between 72 and 82 mm extruded when I called for 100, no matter how I set the steps per mm. :/
June 29, 2014 02:01AM
underthetire
Man, i can see 1 issue I'm going to have. I'm used to industry standard gcode, I can see quite a few that don't look like they do the same functions as they would on machine tools.

The tool head moves should be the same. Here is a list. [reprap.org]. Some of the other codes are reprap specific.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login